Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RipTen's Skyrim Review

Machocruz

Arcane
thesoup said:
This. Everyone agrees that F:NV is the better game, but F3 has better grades, for some reason. :?

Fallout 3 had the shock of the new.

Yes, "new". Remember, the knowledge base of mainstream reviewers and group-think hype-slaves doesn't extend beyond 5 years. They called Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls: 4 "innovative" and "groundbreaking" and even..."revolutionary". They are already saying the same thing about a fifth, similar game that hasn't come out yet.

And the mentality is Against any kind of substantial RPG content that gets in the way of the For "exploration".

And the gaming conspiracy theorist it me thinks it's an effort to keep Bethesda looking better than Obsidian as an RPG developer. They don't like 'upstarts' outshining their sacred cows.

When morning came the snow had let up a bit and I could finally see the massive river before me. I marked out a course and dove in. It was hard to see underwater but I swam and jumped furiously to make it to the other side. Finally I emerged victorious and turned around to see Faendal literally gliding across the top of water to meet me. My god, all this time I had been traveling with Jesus.

It would be funny to see someone figuratively gliding across water

Stinger

Arcane
Machocruz said:
And the gaming conspiracy theorist it me thinks it's an effort to keep Bethesda looking better than Obsidian as an RPG developer. They don't like upstarts outshining their sacred cows.

Not really...Witcher 2 was done by some Polish upstarts and it's gotten a much stronger reception than sacred cow Bioware's DA2.

It's simply mainstream gamers and 'journalists' valuing different things compared to actual RPG fans.

Witcher 2 is dumbed down compared to Witcher 1, features fairly minimal choice and consequence, has a stupid mechanic where potions can only be taken before combat etc. What it does feature is absolutely stunning graphics and a heavy emphasis on 'cinematic storytelling'. Oh and boobs.

When the mainstream looks at Obsidian games they don't see the stronger emphasis on choice and consequence or the much tighter mechanics that FNV had compared to the mess in Fallout 3 or Oblivion, or the far superior storylines of FNV, Kotor 2, MotB etc. What they see is the exact same engine but with some different locations and a storyline that isn't as cinematic or 'epic'. lololol where's my twist that im actually the bad guy? oh im actually a void in the force as a deconstruction of rpg mechanics and the morality of the star wars setting? LOLOL THATS NOT EPIC ROFL!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There was actually minimum damage for NV? I never actually noticed that when fighting raiders while wearing PA, I just always assumed one of the bastards had a better weapon that could actually damage me, but I guess you don't notice ticks of 1 damage easily.

And who exactly would play NV without hardcore mode EXCEPT a Bethtard/Biotard?

Stinger

Arcane
You take damage from gibs flying in your face too. It's really minute but the game still acknowledges the damage with that shield symbol next to your HP.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
thesoup said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Reconite said:
If I can issue basic tactical commands and gear preferences to my companions in New Vegas, why the hell can’t I do it in Skyrim. It’s an annoying and cumbersome system and I don’t fucking like it.
Obsidian does what Bethesdon't.

The Curse of Obsidian Entertainment:
Original developer (Bethesda): makes a game with clumsy limitations, shit story and shit gameplay. Game of the Year!
Obsidian: improves on absolutely every single possible part and adds things that should have been in the first game. Boo, not as good as original!
This.
Everyone agrees that F:NV is the better game, but F3 has better grades, for some reason. :?
Everyone does not agree. Consoletards prefer Fallout 3, because they're retarded.

Machocruz

Arcane
Stinger said:
When the mainstream looks at Obsidian games they don't see the stronger emphasis on choice and consequence or the much tighter mechanics that FNV had compared to the mess in Fallout 3 or Oblivion, or the far superior storylines of FNV, Kotor 2, MotB etc. What they see is the exact same engine but with some different locations and a storyline that isn't as cinematic or 'epic'. lololol where's my twist that im actually the bad guy? oh im actually a void in the force as a deconstruction of rpg mechanics and the morality of the star wars setting? LOLOL THATS NOT EPIC ROFL!

The sentiment I always hear and read from people who preferred 3 to New Vegas is that exploration wasn't as interesting in NV, that they preferred the DC setting. Never anything about writing or RPG mechanics.

I believe if New Vegas was released before 3, it would have had the higher score average, for being the "new" experience. That is, if I believed there was no Bethesda favoritism.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vaarna_Aarne said:

A better question is what kind of 'tard plays with poorly implemented, trivial features that do next to nothing to add to the difficulty but provide plenty of unnecessary annoyance?

Oh yeah:

LARPingPoster1.jpg

Enjoy your ultra-realistic ball breaking survival simulator. :lol:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Dicksmoker said:
thesoup said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Reconite said:
If I can issue basic tactical commands and gear preferences to my companions in New Vegas, why the hell can’t I do it in Skyrim. It’s an annoying and cumbersome system and I don’t fucking like it.
Obsidian does what Bethesdon't.

The Curse of Obsidian Entertainment:
Original developer (Bethesda): makes a game with clumsy limitations, shit story and shit gameplay. Game of the Year!
Obsidian: improves on absolutely every single possible part and adds things that should have been in the first game. Boo, not as good as original!
This.
Everyone agrees that F:NV is the better game, but F3 has better grades, for some reason. :?
Everyone does not agree. Consoletards prefer Fallout 3, because they're retarded.

I prefer 3 too, because I play open world games for the exploration. Fallout 3 is easily the superior option since NV is mostly empty and the "dungeons" are rare and mostly way too small for my taste. NV is a better storyfag game though, the story in fallout 3 was utter shit.

Machocruz said:
Stinger said:

The sentiment I always hear and read from people who preferred 3 to New Vegas is that exploration wasn't as interesting in NV, that they preferred the DC setting. Never anything about writing or RPG mechanics.

I believe if New Vegas was released before 3, it would have had the higher score average, for being the "new" experience. That is, if I believed there was no Bethesda favoritism.

If there was one thing I think Bethesda did really well (just ONE THING OK?), it was the non-freedog radio segments. Eden's propaganda speeches were great and set a very fun tone for exploration. NV's music track was better but Mr. New Vegas was completely forgettable.

Stinger

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

A better question is what kind of 'tard plays with poorly implemented, trivial features that do next to nothing to add to the difficulty but provide plenty of unnecessary annoyance?

Enjoy your ultra-realistic ball breaking survival simulator. :lol:

How the fuck can you say that when you like Oblivion and Skyrim? Those games are the absolute definition of shitty trivial features that were poorly implemented and add nothing beyond unnecessary annoyances.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The only thing FO3 did well (to me) was the art direction. It was decent. Maybe not good for a fallout game (as they went overboard with the LOL 50ies!11) but overall the art looked good, it felt like I would explore a destroyed Washington DC (minus the fact that that area should be a giant crater).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Stinger said:
How the fuck can you say that when you like Oblivion and Skyrim? Those games are the absolute definition of shitty trivial features that were poorly implemented and add nothing beyond unnecessary annoyances.

How can I like or dislike a game that isn't even out yet? :retarded:

Oblivion was lacking in unique content. It had no unnecessary annoyances for me, though the level scaling is an excellent idiot filter since the game will get too tedious and/or hard for them at higher levels.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Cassidy said:
Did you actually play this piece of shit by exploring anywhere not mandated by the retard quest compass or are you too mentally disabled for that?

I've played it countless times. I hate the main quest and I finished it twice (at most). The overwhelming majority of the time was spent exploring. There are a shitton of locations. You can find a list here:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_locations

The overwhelming majority of them have jack shit to do with the main quest. In fact I'm pretty sure I haven't explored them all despite putting hundreds of hours in it (the same can't be said of Vegas, which I played a lot less but discovered pretty much everything that was to be found). You "found it empty" because you're the retard who did nothing but play the shitty main quest.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So tell us, Mastermind. What exactly do you "explore" there? Junkitem Nr.2052059209? Ghoul to shoot Nr.5925219 ? These are the fucking same random dungeons like in Oblivion, nothing else. No actual Content is in there, a fucking waste of time.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Everyone agrees that F:NV is the better game"

Everyone? Don't be full of shit. If 'everyone' agreed it would mean it having worse reviews cores. By golly, FFS, most reveiwers and agemrs don't even know Obsidian made LV.

P.S. Anyone who thinks KOTOR2 is better than KOTOR1 is plainly retarted.

Surf Solar said:
Why do you even argue with Mastermind? It's useless anyway.

Surf Solar said:
So tell us, Mastermind. What exactly do you "explore" there? Junkitem Nr.2052059209? Ghoul to shoot Nr.5925219 ? These are the fucking same random dungeons like in Oblivion, nothing else. No actual Content is in there, a fucking waste of time.

thisiswhywe128521447122097566.jpg

Sometimes I don't know if MM is just that good of a troll or if Codexers just have zero willpower

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yes, sometimes statements are so derpy, I just fail my saving throw against them. :(

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I know, I know. I just never even noticed it actually having an effect.
It works the same for you as it does on enemies. See a red shield, that means the damage you're doing is below their DT, but you're still doing minimum damage. Shattered shield means the damage is above the DT.
Mastermind said:
That's what the toolset is for. I wouldn't want to play without healing over time and needing a doctor, doctor's bags or hydra to fix crippled limbs. They rest I could take or leave.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Surf Solar said:

Not true, they usually have some unique items as well as a history you can read from the remains. Even the areas that are cut and paste with no unique content are fine, because they add to the illusion that it's the remains of a real city as opposed to NV in NV which is basically post-apocalyptic Imperial City, except it's small size is even more jarring because I know what modern cities actually look and feel like.

Gord

Arcane
There have actually been some nice locations in FO3, some of which told a small story or contained some interesting loot.
It was certainly much better done than Oblivion.
And compared to FONV, there was more to find in terms of pure quantity.
However, the game suffered from an inflation of everything loot-related, making finding the stuff just completely pointless after a few levels, and there are only so many raider-camps and subway stations you can place without repeating yourself.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Roguey said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I know, I know. I just never even noticed it actually having an effect.
It works the same for you as it does on enemies. See a red shield, that means the damage you're doing is below their DT, but you're still doing minimum damage. Shattered shield means the damage is above the DT.
I know alright? What I'm trying to say is that the damage that doesn't penetrate DT is so negligible I've never even noticed it having an effect in the game. Which is a good thing, it makes different types of ammo more valuable and gives you things to overcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom