Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RipTen's Skyrim Review

curry said:
http://www.ripten.com/2011/10/29/th...ampaign=Feed:+ripten+(Ripten+Video+Game+Blog)

I find the companion system is very similar to that of the current Fallout games (except that you can have only one) in that you can make them carry things and they will equip what you give them. However, there doesnt seem to be any way to make them decide whether to use ranged or melee attacks or decide which armor to put on if they are carrying lots of it. I find all this rather frustrating.
Not that big of a deal.
I took this as an opportunity to check out Faendal’s equipment. Seeing as I was now level 6 and he had been using the same gear I found him in at level one. What a shitty companion I was. I undressed him in the least sexy way possible and threw all his loot on the ground. Since there doesn’t seem to be a away to equip your companions in specific gear, I put the best leathery armors I could find in his inventory first and he equipped them. The same went for his bow.
This I like. It's less frustrating just to put the armor in their inventory and knowing that the A.I. can equip it himself.
Now, maybe I’m wrong, but once again I can’t express how frustrating this whole companion equipment system is. If I can issue basic tactical commands and gear preferences to my companions in New Vegas, why the hell can’t I do it in Skyrim. It’s an annoying and cumbersome system and I don’t fucking like it.
The complaint this reviewer has is sort of irrelevent. Fallout: NV was made by Obsidian, not Bethesda Game Studios, so expecting some of those companion options from New Vegas is absurd.
When morning came the snow had let up a bit and I could finally see the massive river before me. I marked out a course and dove in. It was hard to see underwater but I swam and jumped furiously to make it to the other side. Finally I emerged victorious and turned around to see Faendal literally gliding across the top of water to meet me. My god, all this time I had been traveling with Jesus.
To be honest this is expected in a Bethesda game, but it really is not that big of a deal.
Sure sounds like a heap of fun :smug:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mastermind said:
Oblivion was lacking in unique content. It had no unnecessary annoyances for me, though the level scaling is an excellent idiot filter since the game will get too tedious and/or hard for them at higher levels.

*Idiot just started Oblivion*

*Idiot makes it through the tutorial with no issues because he has at least the reflexes of a four year old (to block/counter)*

*Idiot gets assigned the Nightblade class (Major skills:Armorer, Block, Blunt, Light Armor, Mercantile, Security, Speechcraft) and takes it because he is an idiot*

*Idiot sees a guard soon after exiting the tutorial area*

"OHHH KEWL ARMOR ON THIS BRO ZOMG CHECK IT I LIEK!!!"

*Idiot gets his hands on heavy armor and a sword ASAP.*

*Idiot ends up completing every quest in the game leveling a very low number of times because the only major skill he is using frequently is block.*

Because of the shitty level scaling system that Bethshit used, this is a very effective way to play their "RPG", by going completely against your class you prevent your enemies from leveling up.

Sounds like an idiot enabler to me, but, ya know, accessibility is the goal right!

Jaesun said:
dude, you are arguing with mastermind.
I'm bored.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
The reason why F3 is higher regarded than NV is easy.

The "majority" of gamers (who care enough to write on the internet) is fucking stupid and complete sheep. In other media at least there are respectable critics and quality opinions which results in actual good stuff beeing regarded as good stuff by the masses. Gaming doesn't have that, so majority opinions are retarded since everyones jumping on "bandwagon" for a game.

Its also the answer to why gaming is how it is today.

curry

Arcane
ThePompousAltmer said:
This I like. It's less frustrating just to put the armor in their inventory and knowing that the A.I. can equip it himself.

No, the NPC doesn't automatically equip the best gear, he equips the first gear he has. If you want the NPC to use a better weapon or armour, you need to remove the one he's using before you give him the new one because he doesn't switch to better gear himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom