Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
In another video there's black Iberians and black mercenary hoplites in the service of Carthage, although I haven't seen any black Gauls yet:
unknown.png

I'm not really sure what's going on here, I watched a Galilic campaign that went into Iberia and there was no ethnic variety so Carthage's mix seems to be based on Iberians being recruited in Africa which doesn't explain the Roman situation. It's hardly game breaking or anything, just really goofy.
Are they taking a knee for BLM before the battle?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer

And here I was hoping they were going down the Empire route and allowing regional ethnic militias (but that would imply assimilation and we can't have that now can we). But no they just full on went there didn't they.

Its gonna look really silly if Rome hasn't gotten past Gaul and it has Nubians in its ranks. At the minimum it should at least require you have contact with those cultures first before you start seeing them. I'm dreading the thought of Nubian Praetorians though that won't make a whole lot of sense. They should've made this type of thing optional I honestly didn't care about the clone armies as I was mostly zoomed out anyway.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They should've made this type of thing optional I honestly didn't care about the clone armies as I was mostly zoomed out anyway.

The regional recruitment stuff is. I'm assuming the Scipii just start with a couple of "foreign recruited" units for some strange reason.

If this is indeed just standard randomisation though, that's dumb.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Ok fine a good compromise, they can have Nubian Praetorian in exchange we get Chariot riding 10 foot Germans in the Kemetic Egyptian not Greek army. In the end its just a cosmetic thing so it barely matters but its taking an already ridiculous game and somehow making it even worse lol.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok fine a good compromise, they can have Nubian Praetorian in exchange we get Chariot riding 10 foot Germans in the Kemetic Egyptian not Greek army. In the end its just a cosmetic thing so it barely matters but its taking an already ridiculous game and somehow making it even worse lol.

I'm sure it'll be modded out quick as lightning if it does turn out to be something that can't be disabled.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
AYYO WHATCHA UPSET ABOUT WHITE BOI?

WE WUZ ROMANS N' CARTHAGINIANS N' SHIT. WE WUZ CESARS N' PHARAOHS N' SHIT.

WE TAUGHT YA CRACKAS HOW TO WIPE YO ASS!

8476.jpg

dwiPrFKywJAPkG4ayi77TqEbwaxyDO1uTi4H5ZElol0.jpg

Last edited:

Athos

Arcane
I don't think CA had every any "racism" problem to portray people who weren't a certain color another... they only have a problem of more and more popamole gameplay.

Medniggers were buttmad that the Germans and Gauls were noticeably taller than the Romans in R2. :lol:

It was a bit comical though that every unit of Germans and Gauls, even the peasants with sticks, looked like a gathering of bodybuilders.

A horse of course

I don't think CA had every any "racism" problem to portray people who weren't a certain color another... they only have a problem of more and more popamole gameplay.

Medniggers were buttmad that the Germans and Gauls were noticeably taller than the Romans in R2. :lol:

It was a bit comical though that every unit of Germans and Gauls, even the peasants with sticks, looked like a gathering of bodybuilders.

That's just like real life tho

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The phrase "cherry picked" implies dishonesty on my part, I merely captured a screen from the game that showcased the trend that is ever present among Western productions. Even if there was only one Black soldier in the entire army my point would still stand. There is no evidence of Blacks ever serving in the third century republican Roman army and the whole thing seems ridiculous. Presenting Roman demographics in this way is dishonest and only serves to promote a very specific political agenda, which is being pushed by banks, corporations and the most powerful people in the world.

Yep. There's not a single black Roman soldier at that time, because back in that time, the Roman army was a citizen army. If there was a black guy going to Rome and getting citizenship in some way, we would know about it because it would have been exceptional. At the start date of RTW the only ones with proper citizenship were Latins, IIRC other Italics had the rank of socii at that time rather than full citizenship. Roman armies were as homogenous as it can get. There weren't even any white guys of other cultures serving as Roman soldiers. Maybe auxiliaries or mercenaries but they wouldn't have the same equipment, and they would still not be black.

The Roman Empire at its greatest extent? Yes, sure. There's a possibility of a bunch of black guys in the southern provinces joining the legions or serving as auxiliaries. They would even get citizenship after 20 years of military service. But that's more than a century after the start date of RTW, and even then they would be highly localized to legions recruited in the southern areas of the African provinces.

At the start date of RTW, I highly doubt there was even a single black guy in all of Italy. Not one.
Fast forward a couple of centuries and you might see two or three of them. But even then their amount would be closer to what you can see in today's Eastern European countries, than in the modern west. Back when a good friend from Lithuania visited me 10 years ago, we saw three black guys at the railway station and she said: "Wow, I've never seen so many niggers in my life!" That's what your average Roman would think if he saw a group of three black guys.
Yes, even your average Roman soldier who was a veteran of several wars against Carthage, Numidia, Ptolemaic Egypt... well, maybe in Egypt he saw a couple of Nubians. Maybe.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I spent some time looking through the rest of the shill footage, and I'm wondering if this is a Scipii thing. Lionheart's Brutii footage didn't contain a single kang, but Simpzy's Scipii campaign also contained a bunch of random sub-saharan africans in both the hastatii and general's bodyguard right from the start of the game. Maybe Lionheart had disabled that feature or something though. I'm sure the truth will come out soon enough.

Someone read the name "Scipio Africanus" and concluded he was black.

Silva

Arcane
I don't understand the fuss about this remaster. Sure I played the game at the time as everyone else (specially with RTR and EB mods), but these days the AI and simulation model are too obviously retardo to pass up.

So sing to me oh fellow codexers, what's the point of playing this shit nowadays?

A horse of course

Which was the best TW game, Medieval 2? Shogun 2?

For retards: Rome 1 (oldfag choice), Shogun 2 (newfag choice)

For RTwP players: Medieval 2 (oldfag choice), Attila (newfag choice)

For hischad modded campaigns: Rome 1, Medieval 2, Rome 2 (some mods require all the DLC though)

For r*ddit and people too young to legally post on this site: Warhammer

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

It's not quite Germans, but you did get Celts working for the Egyptian Pharaoh (the people Galatia in Asia Minor is named after). People got around far more than is realised.

(I wonder if the individiual soldiers being 'discussed' are meant to even be black; given they're ditching the cartoon-y aesthetic, the skin tone seems off to me, more likely to be well tanned Libyans or Levantine people — soldiers spent a great deal of time in the sun, after all.)

A horse of course

Since we've come to the consensus that Rome TW Remastered will be shit, this is now a general Rome 1 thread

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
It's not quite Germans, but you did get Celts working for the Egyptian Pharaoh (the people Galatia in Asia Minor is named after).
Except your Egyptian Pharaoh was Greek and didn't ride around in a chariot. RS2 has the Galatians as an actual faction.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
there was/is an asian dude who uploaded multiplayer matches of Rome 1 on youtube.

what is his name?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom