Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Bullshit that's an instant refund/uninstall

The Jester

Cipher
I find it excruciatingly hard to play an RPG for longer than 15 minutes if it starts in "ye olde generic village" with all the typical quests and problems it entails, and there were numerous ones I dropped, never to return, just because of that shitty kind of beginning.
THAT FUCKING VILLAGE IN NWN 2

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
SJW/Political/LBGT shit.
Strong wombyn character carrying massive swords
general degenerate setting where sodomy is treated as normal

Lagi

Savant
quest to exterminate local fauna/goblins in near forest, because villagers are scared or whatever.

Trashos

Arcane
- political agendas
- dumbed down mechanics
- lack of challenge

Respawning enemies and random encounters are not really a deal breaker, but they do test my patience.

Combat being too deterministic.

That's a plus, afaic.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh yeah, a big one is starting me out with unskippable cutscenes. I never made it past Mass Effect's introduction because so much of it was non-interactive cutscene bullshit before you even get to touch your keyboard for the first time. I ain't got no time for that shit, if I wanted to watch a movie I'd have bought a movie. This is a game, I wanna DO things.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I find it excruciatingly hard to play an RPG for longer than 15 minutes if it starts in "ye olde generic village" with all the typical quests and problems it entails, and there were numerous ones I dropped, never to return, just because of that shitty kind of beginning.

Yep, NWN 2 was one of the games I dropped because of the ye olde generic village start. Two more examples that immediately come to mind are Drakensang and Divinity 2 - fortunately in the latter case I revisited the game at a later point in time and gritted my teeth through that shit, because what follows is great.

I can't explain it, but the generic village start is just overpowering for me. Especially when I first get to spend a decently long time during character creation - but after that, if I'm dropped into Bumfuck, Nowhere, I say 'yeah ok I'll check back later', and never do.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of my pet peeves were already mentioned (sjw garbage, cut scenes), the only thing nobody mentioned yet is starting out with equipment/skills and then having them stolen from you. I think that is the absolute worst design decision anybody can make. It combines everything I hate. A tutorial section, railroading and usually a cut scene. And to top it all off, the next couple hours of gameplay will feel worse than the beginning.

Absurd amounts of purple prose in writing. When you see it, you can almost hear the sound of unkempt, chewed nails of a fat blue-haired dyke hammering down on the keyboard as your eyes squint to absorb one unnecessary adjective after another.
I'll never, ever, complete PoE for this very reason, despite trying 3 fucking times.

Unskippable "Cinematic" cutscenes are definitely the big one for me. I don't understand how anyone on the planet thinks they are acceptable.

Generic MMO itemization is another major source of rage.

Terrible consolized UI (e.g. unmodded Skyrim) .

I also recently stopped playing Deadfire after about 5 hours because the total VO was super fucking annoying. I can read at least 5 times faster than the VO and it was just grating to constantly have it going in such a dialogue heavy game.

Silly Germans

Open world games, filled with procedural generated, bland repetitive crap or more generally any game that boasts about its procedural generated content.

Voids

Augur
Absurd amounts of purple prose in writing. When you see it, you can almost hear the sound of unkempt, chewed nails of a fat blue-haired dyke hammering down on the keyboard as your eyes squint to absorb one unnecessary adjective after another.
I'll never, ever, complete PoE for this very reason, despite trying 3 fucking times.

Make DW Bradley write again.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yep, NWN 2 was one of the games I dropped because of the ye olde generic village start. Two more examples that immediately come to mind are Drakensang and Divinity 2 - fortunately in the latter case I revisited the game at a later point in time and gritted my teeth through that shit, because what follows is great.

I can't explain it, but the generic village start is just overpowering for me. Especially when I first get to spend a decently long time during character creation - but after that, if I'm dropped into Bumfuck, Nowhere, I say 'yeah ok I'll check back later', and never do.

I'm glad the Co8 mod for ToEE adds an alternative leveling opportunity (a small level 1 dungeon crawl) to Hommlet's boring fetch quests. God, Hommlett was such a boring start to the game but you needed the XP.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A generation of CRPG players broken by Hommlet.

Edit: :lol:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Level scaling is always a *huge* bummer.
Also things like Metal slimes in Dragon Quest eg. extremely high XP mobs as it destroys the whole point of combat.
A game that is slower than its complexity demands is also one factor, i can handle menus fast and i expect the game to work with that.

Azdul

Magister
Rainbow puke on the screen, like in Torchlight.

I don't care if they represent auras, forcefields or area attacks. If I don't know what's going on by looking at the screen - I already know that "warriors" and "rogues" will be wizards in disguise with different color of spells (sorry, "abilities"), there will be palette-swapped enemies, and the whole game will be inferior copy of games from 20 years ago.

Oh, and the game will have one main "innovative" feature - which, although it makes whole game worse and annoying - will be pride and joy of authors, and they won't stop talking about it.

Momock

Augur
Time wasters are the worst:

- loot bloating (generally comes with garbage +1% itemization);
- randomized loot (bonus shittiness points for quick savy games);
- randomized character creation;
- trash mobs (combat shouldn't be mandatory in the first place, so if it is at least do it right!);
- doing 10 clics for a simple action (okay, now do it every two steps for the rest of game! Enjoy!);
- kilometers of open world nothingness;
- quests that serve no narrative purpose (why giving info about the setting to the player through gameplay? Make him do mundane boring fetch quests, we'll drop a loredump on his head later...);
- and of course... crafting! (with exceptions like Arx Fatalis where it was really fun to assemble your ultimate weapon).

Ibn Sina said:
general degenerate setting where sodomy is treated as normal
Oh yeah, that too. I remember guards in a prisoner camp in Tyrany talking about how they'll like to be sucked by some old dude prisonner because he has "nice white teath". In what universe does this happen? You have female prisonners, you faggots! It was so unearthly that it kicked me out of the game instantly. I think it could be done right though, like in that anime where children are incouraged by the cult to have any sort of intercourse between them to lower their agressivity levels and get a better control over them and their powers (I don't remember the name of the anime. I just remember I though it was nighmarish Brave New Worldesque level of creepy while the internet was happy to see "LGBT representation done right"... :lol:).

Codex Year of the Donut
Oh yeah, that too. I remember guards in a prisoner camp in Tyrany talking about how they'll like to be sucked by some old dude prisonner because he has "nice white teath". In what universe does this happen? You have female prisonners, you faggots! It was so unearthly that it kicked me out of the game instantly. I think it could be done right though, like in that anime where children are incouraged by the cult to have any sort of intercourse between them to lower their agressivity levels and get a better control over them and their powers (I don't remember the name of the anime. I just remember I though it was nighmarish Brave New Worldesque level of creepy while the internet was happy to see "LGBT representation done right"... :lol:).
iirc there's some scarlet chorus guy that gets raped so hard his sphincter stops working and he keeps shitting himself

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Strong wombyn character carrying massive swords

646634-final-fantasy-vii-remake-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

Yeah, there is something wrong with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom