Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex :: A Text-Based Adventure Game

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It was fun, but I'm not a big fan of text-based adventures. Always liked GUI more than just text.

Coyote

Arcane
Updated the list of achievements.

Still haven't figured out the final achievement, but given DU's hint and the way you get the "Will die a virgin" one, you probably get it by typing "get [something]". Things that don't work include:

• a life.
  • high.
  • jiggy with it.
  • down (and boogie).
  • your nose.
  • DarkUnderlord.
  • answers.
  • ahold of myself.
  • a grip.
  • a haircut, hippie!
  • a life.
  • a room.
  • AIDS.
  • knocked up.
  • an abortion.
  • a clue.
  • in while the getting's good.
  • a raise.
  • 'em.
  • 'er done.
  • off.
  • around.
  • out.
  • out of my head.
  • it.
  • ITZ.
  • butthurt.
  • all up in your business.
  • plane tickets, bitch!
  • revenge.
  • your mom.
  • your dad.
  • your dog.
  • the goddamn achievement already.

Edit: I just noticed that there's sort of a narrative within that list. :o

Coyote

Arcane
You don't (as far as I know). Like I said, that's a list of things that don't work. I was bored and started typing all of the common phrases I could think of with the word "get" into the parser. When I ran out of those, I started trying some variations of the Codex's favorite games and memes.

Also, to clarify: given DU's hint, it's likely that the final achievement will not only require you to type "get ____"; it will also result in some sort of joke involving the phrase "You cannot get ____", as it did for the "Will die a virgin" achievement. (Neither "Grimoire" nor "Age of Decadence" works, incidentally.)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I thought of logging everything and seeing what commands people used. I didn't in the end.

Coyote said:
Also, to clarify: given DU's hint, it's likely that the final achievement will not only require you to type "get ____"; it will also result in some sort of joke involving the phrase "You cannot get ____", as it did for the "Will die a virgin" achievement. (Neither "Grimoire" nor "Age of Decadence" works, incidentally.)
Actually in this instance it tells you "you already are!". It probably is a bit obscure but then Prosper did manage to GET HELP and GET LAID was also found.

Black

Arcane
I couldn't check the status of TFTD LP thanks to this bs, fucking GAY!!

Morkar Left

Good job, especially considering the short development time. But I have to admit I ran out of patience with the prison corridors and gave up (maybe I run into a bug with endless corridors?). Make less filler content, give us stats, xp and turnbased combat and the codex has its official rpg where every developer can learn from how to do it right :smug:

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
Great game, i had a lot of fun. Almost finished it in the morning (was only missing the anti psychotics) but i lost the track of time while exploring Retardo and had to run errands.
I read about the bag of lies on the forums before acquiring it and tried to combine it from the paper bag and The Good Womyn book, because i read it and as expected it was full of lies. You lost the opportunity there for multiple quest solutions, DU. But overall it was very good. :thumbsup:

Andhaira

Arcane
Gee, killing Andhaira and raping his corpse. That's pretty harsh DU. ;)

Anyhow, I only played a bit but unlocked an achievement. It's the one you get when you type "Fuck You". :lol:

Wild Slop

Arcane
Coyote said:
You don't (as far as I know). Like I said, that's a list of things that don't work. I was bored and started typing all of the common phrases I could think of with the word "get" into the parser. When I ran out of those, I started trying some variations of the Codex's favorite games and memes.
I tried a couple of those too. Nice list of attempts.

Tryed to use the sheet with the razor to make a clan robe

Also ROLEPLAY and LARP. (while at the stage with the statues and the whole tranny thing it brought to mind a bit of a rocky horror thing ) - but no

I didnt read over enough to see if someone else tried:

How about instead of mutilating myself with the aid of drugs to get past (drug loving) trannies , I just give the drugs to the trannies?
:D nope

It seemed like a good idea at the time

Its a mystery.

taplonaplo said:
> You already are lost!
Achievement Unlocked: Lost

Oo
ooh was this it?

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Died 2 times in vagina and got bored. )
Never figured you could unlog to read the forum. (

Coyote

Arcane
Irxy said:
Died 2 times in vagina and got bored.

Don't worry, it happens to everyone. Or so I've heard.

Added "lost" achievement to the list. List is now complete.

asper

Arcane
Hey, any chance of putting this back online? It was pretty nice.

I'm looking to write an online text adventure; DU, how did you create this so quickly?

circ

Arcane
Hey, any chance of putting this back online? It was pretty nice.

I'm looking to write an online text adventure; DU, how did you create this so quickly?
Use Inform to write one quicker. It already does the parsing and engine bits so you just write room descs and connections and so on. Based on Infocom's parser. There were a few others but I forget the names, and they're kinda crap.

I remember in 6th grade in computer class, some bored guy wrote a text adventure for us to play in 10 minutes. The maze rooms were bullshit in this one though so I said fuck it.

asper

Arcane
Yeah, I am learning inform7, but what I want is a purely online game, with images. There are two very good online Inform7 interpreters (Quixe and Parchment), but none of them support images, even though Inform7 supports them natively. The online interpreter for TADS also doesn't support images...

My aim is: A picture on the top half of the screen, text on the bottom half. All online directly at my site. I think this really should be possible. A simple image adds a lot to a text adventure, I'm a fan of the Legend adventure games.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Hey, any chance of putting this back online?
Not until after the server upgrade.

PHP. If I knew how to OOP properly I'd probably have some awesome class but I basically created multi-dimensional arrays for my objects and wrote some code that handled various properties I'd stuff in them. Then just simply hand-coded each room (if door_open flag is set, display this text else display this other text).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom