Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Game of the Year 2015 - VOTING HAS BEGUN [AUTISM ALERT]

Duckard

Augur
That's a lot of rpg-ish games, but some reason I felt more excited about games last year.
Actually I've played some decent stuff this year (SiTS, Telepath Tactics, Voidspire Tactics for instance) but nothing that I enjoyed as much as D:OS, Wasteland 2 or even Blackguards. I haven't played AoD nor Undertale yet, so there's still hope.

Most of the stuff in your this year list was developed by smaller teams that are more limited in what they can do. I feel like last year there were a lot of bigger games released, and now most of them are developing sequels, or other titles. PoE was the only big oldschool crpg this year, not counting updates to existing games, and I don't think its GOTY material.

AoD is great though, because instead of scaling back it just took forever to make it.

Viata

Arcane
There are a lot of rpgs released this year, can't remember the last time I had more rpgs to play than free time for it. Anyway, AoD is goty, anyone that didn't play it yet and is playing Twitcher 3/Fallout 4(after AoD was released), may as well stop playing rpgs.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wild Hunt were alright, l couldn't ignore it but there were some serious issues wi it, and consolism was showing through pretty fucking strong.

Yeah. My chief beef with the Witcher is how fucking cumbersomely repetitive the game gets in the long run. The size and scope of it and the relatively feature-poor hack'n slash design (including the character system) are at odds with each other.

I wouldn't put my vote on it even if the narrative aspects are decent.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Think of it as a purity test for the Codex. I'm only placing them on a list, it's the Codex's own votes who will determine their worthiness.
More of an aspie test for you, let's start with some criteria:
PC only original releases.
No ports.
No republishing.
No multiplatform.
No consoles.
No director's cuts.
No enhanced editions.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Fallout 4 isn't even an RPG..
Plenty of games in this section aren't. To add to the Bethesda dung, Bioware/Bioware PL poo and Eidos garbage stick out like sore thumbs.

NHL 2016 and Black Ops 3 are more worthy of being on the list.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Just give up already
4pgZlXw.png

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I don't see how this site could honour any other game this year than AoD. It's a truly unique project. It deserves all the attention it can get, even though we're a small site few care about.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I always display the full results because I think there are two sides to this:

A - Which games were the absolute best this year - The Glorious GOTY Top 3
B - Besides that, what's also worth a look.

The list is about 60 games long now, I'd like to know which of those have some Kodex Kredibility to play later, not just the obvious Top 3 big titles I've played already.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd vote for Shadowrun: Hong Kong. It's the only RPG released this year I really liked and enjoyed. D:OS EE and W2: DC don't count, since they aren't exactly new.

Suicidal

Arcane
Guys let's make Fallout 4 our GOTY. For real, as a joke. I mean, it's gotten to the point that even the casuls at metacritic and steam seem to dislike this game and it didn't receive any awards at that video game awards thing. Imagine everyone's surprise (everyone who gives a shit that is) when RPG Codex, the bastion against modernity, dumbing down and popamole, votes Fallout 4 as its 2015 GOTY. Would definitely make some people drop their monocles. I wonder, would Bethesda display our RPG CODEX BEST OF 2015 badge in the steam store considering they probably won't get much more than that now that the Kurwa 3 is the king of mainstream RPGs from the game journo point of view :troll:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Unless you want to hype games for the holiday sales ('sup Geoff), there's no reason to do a GOTY award before the year has ended.

Remember that last year NEO Scavenger was released in Dez 15 and was #3 at the voting.

Just to give my opinion, I count the game year from Dec 1st to Nov 30th - meaning that the 2015 gaming year has passed as far as I'm concerned. The reason I do this is because a game that's released on December has no time to make an "impact" upon the year, or even to be properly counted towards it, as Christmas gets in the way. (See the release of Doom in 1993 as a reference.)

That NEO Scavenger came in so high a position last year is due to its "fresh" presence in people's mind when it came to picking a GOTY - another reason to not have the game year follow the calendar year to a tee.

I find it perfectly fine to talk about the GOTY in December though, so let's do that.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
The award could use more categories, no? Best Story, Best Combat System, Biggest Disappointment, Biggest Surprise, etc.

Definitely agree with this. GOTY is boring. We need to pimp this out with categories. Make it like the Razzies, except for games. Most Shallow, Most Tedious, Most Glitches, Worst Mechanics, Most Amateurish Writing, Most Alcoholics Created, etc etc

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Worst Collision Problems
Worst Textures, zoomed out
Worst Textures, zoomed in
The Highest Number of Recycled Assets

Perkel

Arcane
My predictions for top3

1. Age of Decadence
2. Witcher 3
3. Serpent of Staglands

Though 3place will hard since Pillars will be very close.

I always display the full results because I think there are two sides to this:

A - Which games were the absolute best this year - The Glorious GOTY Top 3
B - Besides that, what's also worth a look.

The list is about 60 games long now, I'd like to know which of those have some Kodex Kredibility to play later, not just the obvious Top 3 big titles I've played already.

I support this. I also think editors choice like last year would be good.

That NEO Scavenger came in so high a position last year is due to its "fresh" presence in people's mind when it came to picking a GOTY - another reason to not have the game year follow the calendar year to a tee.

Cry moar, NS is legit good rpg. Not always you have option to eat fungus and die from explosive diarrhea at same time trying to uncover lore and actually roleplaying different situations that could end up for you really really really badly.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So what will the rules be? Can I stack the votes in my favor if I just vote for one game? :smug:

Shammy

Learned
My predictions for top3

1. Age of Decadence
2. Witcher 3
3. Serpent of Staglands

My thoughts exactly, though I don't think Pillars is close for 3rd. A solid game sure, but better than SoS? Over my dead body lad

Perkel

Arcane
My predictions for top3

1. Age of Decadence
2. Witcher 3
3. Serpent of Staglands

My thoughts exactly, though I don't think Pillars is close for 3rd. A solid game sure, but better than SoS? Over my dead body lad

Both SoS and PoE share the same problem, boring combat (after a few hours) Difference here is that SoS has simply much better world and lore to explore that simply feel new and fresh.

When you start SoS you know you just started something really special even if you didn't heard anything about it before (lack of hype glasses).

I think with some more polish, some more work on it (better budget ??) and better combat, SoS could win dex GOTY even with AoD released this year. I hope team will sell enough copies to create new SoS and improve upon last entry.

Shammy

Learned
My predictions for top3

1. Age of Decadence
2. Witcher 3
3. Serpent of Staglands

Both SoS and PoE share the same problem, boring combat (after a few hours) Difference here is that SoS has simply much better world and lore to explore that simply feel new and fresh.

When you start SoS you know you just started something really special even if you didn't heard anything about it before (lack of hype glasses).

I think with some more polish, some more work on it (better budget ??) and better combat, SoS could win dex GOTY even with AoD released this year. I hope team will sell enough copies to create new SoS and improve upon last entry.
I'd love to see more polish for SoS. I thought the combat was fine but I can definitely see how it can wear out its welcome eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom