Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2015 Poll - All citizens take part

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey bros, let me put a poll into your poll so you can vote while you vote!

1310428349083_0.png

hivemind

Reasons why my poll is far superior to the two other polls(roshan's poll is ok but I like mine more because having 3 votes dilutes the true goty essence):

Only registered codexers can vote in my poll as opposed to the first one.

There are only hand picked top of the line goty contenders in my poll as opposed to the bunch of retarded shit presented in the first one. Like seriously nobody actually cares about 9/10 games mentioned there.

The second poll is the very essence of decline because it uses a 10 points scale to rate games which is what popamole mainstream gaming websites use so they can pretend to be accurate(like these types of polls try too)

The second poll will be in the end determined by subjective machinations of the OP(he clearly states that he doesn't "have a clearly defined ranking criteria") while in my poll everything is clearly visible with no potential shilling to take place.

My poll uses the inbuilt poll feature of RPGCodex. If the RPGCodex inbuilt poll feature is not used for "important" polls then it means it badly designed and a new poll feature should replace and improve upon it. This would mean that the administration would have to put more work into the website

You can clearly see who voted how in my poll and so with my poll it's very easy to answer questions like: What is the brofist adjusted RPGCodex GOTY 2015 ?

Clearly the most important question on everyone's mind when it comes to 2015 GOTY is AoD vs Underrail, the other polls dilute this contest with retarded filler while in my poll this matchup is right at the center of attention.

My poll is honest and down to earth like the cute girl next door and not autistic and pretentious like the other polls.

made

Arcane
Pretty sure I already voted for Witcher 3 this year - where is its rightful award? Are you going to create polls again and again until the officially sanctioned "indie" title finally wins?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
There are only hand picked top of the line goty contenders in my poll as opposed to the bunch of retarded shit presented in the first one. Like seriously nobody actually cares about 9/10 games mentioned there.
I had never heard of Voidspire Tactics, Conquest of Elysium 4 or Thea: The Awakening before, but my poll shows that clearly a lot of people enjoyed these...

I think that's a lot more interesting than doing a huge poll just to say "AoD > Underrail"

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I think that's a lot more interesting than doing a huge poll just to say "AoD > Underrail"

The aim of a GOTY is to present a list of the most notable cRPGs to Codex players in order to determine their popularity among these gamers. The pool should reflect what games are notable. When you try to make things “more interesting for you” by being more inclusive, you are adding irrelevant noise in the process to promote irrelevant games. "Fair" and "interesting" are two very different things. For the sake of analogy, just imagine if Oscar nominations included every single movie released in each category. It would be tedious beyond belief and insulting to the most notable movies released that year.

Gregz

Arcane
well duh! btw should fallout 4 even be allowed to compete for rpg of the year since it's only a pseudo rpg at best. it's insulting to Age of Decadence.

I disagree, strongly, so much so that I voted for Fallout 4 167 times...so far.

Remember, if you REALLY like a game, reload the page and keep voting for it. The more you vote, the better the game was, obviously.

If you vote enough times your voice WILL be heard, don't give up!

"Vote early, vote often."

Last edited:
Weasel
I disagree, strongly, so much so that I voted for Fallout 4 167 times...so far.

Remember, if you REALLY like a game, reload the page and keep voting for it. The more you vote, the better the game was obviously.

Damn, was planning on a quiet night but if the F4 lobby are out in force I'll have to spend the next couple of hours refreshing that poll to balance them out, Madman needs all the 5* votes it can get.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The aim of a GOTY is to present a list of the most notable cRPGs to Codex players in order to determine their popularity among these gamers. The pool should reflect what games are notable. When you try to make things “more interesting for you” by being more inclusive, you are adding irrelevant noise in the process to promote irrelevant games. "Fair" and "interesting" are two very different things.
You're pulling a "GOTY should be this" rules out of your ass and saying the rest of the games are irrelevant just because you think so. What an ego trip.

Having all the other games to vote doesn't diminish the poll or make it "unfair" in any way - in fact, it actually helps, as it offers context to what came out. Having many options and using a Bayesian average to compensate for popularity is a much better way of finding out the best games of the year than just trusting that the "notable" games are actually the best ones.

Had I done what you say, last year we wouldn't have lesser known games like NEO Scavenger on the list - and that game won in 3rd.

For the sake of analogy, just imagine if Oscar nominations included every single movie released in each category. It would be tedious beyond belief and insulting to the most notable movies released that year.
Great analogy. The Oscar has a shitty award system, mostly political than anything else. Their "curation", limiting the options to just a 5 nominees, is what led to aberrations like Kubrick not being nominated for Best Movie or Best Director for Full Metal Jacket, because there was already 5 other nominations the Academy thought more important. What a brilliant system.

Wouldn't voter fraud
liberals
be more meaningful for the obscure titles everyone's complaining about? Making it easier for a title that few have played/liked/or cared about to rise ranks easier if they have a dedicated autistic fanboy?(Genuine question, as I don't know how whatever vote counting system you've concocted would affect that)

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You're pulling a "GOTY should be this" rules out of your ass and saying the rest of the games are irrelevant just because you think so.

But I’m not the one who is rationalizing here to justify my prejudices, you are. This assumption IS the norm is in any sensible poll of that nature, because we are trying to decide who is the best in a given subject for a certain audience. Who is the best writer in science fiction this year? Who is that best comedian? And so on. If the organizer behind the pool is doing his job like a normal person, instead of dishonestly prostituting the pool to do some sort of second-rate activism pro-JRPGs, he would choose only a few of them to be eligible to the poll in the first place. More than that, his choice would be based on common assumptions of the audience around the subject, not on gratuitous inclusive whims. I’m pretty sure that at least 90% of the audience in the Codex consider games like Lighting Returns beneath their contempt, which is an obvious indication that the pool is dishonest. The self-interest in this thing is so obvious. I bet that if you take a part in a poll about the best singers in the world you would mysteriously end up including your cousin, that guy that nobody knows about it, but likes to sing in the shower.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I’m pretty sure that at least 90% of the audience in the Codex consider games like Lighting Returns beneath their contempt, which is an obvious indication that the pool is dishonest.

Lightning Returns has the friendliest and most intelligent fanbase, so it should definitely be included.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You're pulling a "GOTY should be this" rules out of your ass and saying the rest of the games are irrelevant just because you think so.

But I’m not the one who is rationalizing here to justify my prejudices, you are. This assumption IS the norm is in any sensible poll of that nature, because we are trying to decide who is the best in a given subject for a certain audience. Who is the best writer in science fiction this year? Who is that best comedian? And so on. If the organizer behind the pool is doing his job like a normal person, instead of dishonestly prostituting the pool to do some sort of second-rate activism pro-JRPGs, he would choose only a few of them to be eligible to the poll in the first place. More than that, his choice would be based on common assumptions of the audience around the subject, not on gratuitous inclusive whims. I’m pretty sure that at least 90% of the audience in the Codex consider games like Lighting Returns beneath their contempt, which is an obvious indication that the pool is dishonest. The self-interest in this thing is so obvious. I bet that if you take a part in a poll about the best singers in the world you would mysteriously end up including your cousin, that guy that nobody knows about it, but likes to sing in the shower.

So... you're saying that, in order for everyone to have a chance to have their own say in what they think was the best RPG of 2015, one person should first have to decide one a small sample of games out of which they get to choose from, all this based on said person's personal opinion of what he believes his 'audience' should like? Because that's somehow more honest and less predjudiced than allowing them to pick from the most complete list of RPG's I've ever seen?
WTF's wrong with you? At the very least show some respect to the person actually willing to go to all this trouble setting all this up (and, again, providing a very awesome list of all games anywhere near RPG-ish).
If you don't like it, nobody's stopping you from organizing your own little 3rd poll with a list of games which you apparently feel qualified and able to select without any personal bias, because clearly you know what's best for us and us ignorant voters should be protected from themselves by your superiour knowledge of all things RPG.
:killit:

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You don't even understand what you're saying.

I'm showing the audience everything there is, so they might decide for themselves what they prefer; while you are asking for someone to arbitrary decide what people want and only allow them to vote for those.

Lightning Returns is doing badly at the poll, clearly the Codex didn't enjoy it. I knew it would come to this, but I always thought best to let the people decide that by themselves - you know, offer choice.

However, it seems some narrow minded idiots think they know for sure which the best games are - or that someone should decide for him - and rather live in safe spaces where no opposing view might ever reach them - WHAT IF A JRPG HAD A GOOD SCORE? WHAT WOULD I DO?

Telengard

Arcane
And this is why all the awards long ago implemented a system where they impanel a select group of prestigious and impartial well-bribed and boozed-up judges to do the voting. So that the plebs don't muck it up with ignorance, fights, and general assholery

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
We should have killed all weeaboos when we had the chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom