Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2018: Results & Cool Graphs

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Switch MCA stretch goal badge from PK to Atom, and Atom wins.

And I really dislike the anonymous voting system, just make it here on the forums.

Besides all that, it's an okay top 3 in comparison to the rest. Pretty dry year.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
LOL @ thinking that everyone played the game before down-voting it...
Then why allow this shit methodology in the first place? People voted one on the games they didn't play but disliked anyways.
Yeah, we should check which games the person played and for how long, in which difficulty and on what kind of PC before allowing them to vote. This is a very reasonable demand.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

the year of ELEX Grimoire: Golden Baby of Incline
kA3m1cp.png
I don't usually write "I fixed it for you", but I fixed it for you.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Do we have a historical list of all the GOTYs somewhere? My memory about it is rather hazy, but it's pretty weird that people complain about Pathfinder being one when previously we had smash hits such as Dragon Age or motherfucking Witcher occupying the spot. Probably some obsidian games too, lol, I don't remember but I would assume that to be the case. You have to be pretty stupid to not see Pathfinder as an objective incline over that. At the very least it's a legit crpg. It's also occasionally fun and has like zero "people who dislike computer games making a game for people who dislike computer games" factor in it, imagine that in the current year.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Then why allow this shit methodology in the first place? People voted one on the games they didn't play but disliked anyways.
Yeah, we should check which games the person played and for how long, in which difficulty and on what kind of PC before allowing them to vote. This is a very reasonable demand.

Then dont make a big deal in publishing wrong results with no adherence to reality, by your own admission your method is broken and easily exploited.

The only way we will get valid results is for:

1. One codexer = 1 vote
  2. Simple poll for each category
  3. Move the poll to a forum not accessed by new users, people without accounts or that can be shared around for voting outside the site
The codex rpg of the year award is not an award on which game you like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... its an award for best rpg.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Do we have a historical list of all the GOTYs somewhere? My memory about it is rather hazy, but it's pretty weird that people complain about Pathfinder being one when previously we had smash hits such as Dragon Age or motherfucking Witcher occupying the spot. Probably some obsidian games too, lol, I don't remember but I would assume that to be the case. You have to be pretty stupid to not see Pathfinder as an objective incline over that. At the very least it's a legit crpg. It's also occasionally fun and has like zero "people who dislike computer games making a game for people who dislike computer games" factor in it, imagine that in the current year.

Dragon Age got GOTY on here? Assuming it was Origins?

If so that's quality :) Very underrated game. Probably the best near-CRPG of the modern 3-D era.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

1. One codexer = 1 vote
  3. Move the poll to a forum not accessed by new users, people without accounts or that can be shared around for voting outside the site
The codex rpg of the year award is not an award on which game you like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... its an award for best rpg.
That's a retarded popularity poll that is absolutely pointless. You would know that Pathfinder is the RPG of the year (same result as you have in my poll) and nothing else.

Also, can we please stop with this naive idea that a Codex-only poll would bring some kind of purity? We did this. We saw the results. Tons of alts, and a result that gets more casual the older the accounts are.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That's a retarded popularity poll that is absolutely pointless. You would know that Pathfinder is the RPG of the year (same result as you have in my poll) and nothing else.

GOTY awards are a popularity poll... And how is that more pointless than having a survey full of false results? Where people voted 1 for every single game except those that they liked. Either do a round table with a select group of codexers, for example the most frequent reviewers, or do a straight popularity contest through a poll, not the mess you published.

You would know that Pathfinder is the RPG of the year (same result as you have in my poll) and nothing else.

That's the point of the award. Make different polls for different categories if you want more depth. Do you really think that developers or fans will go around saying that their favorite rpg was 10th in a prestigious poll, no... people care about who took first place.

Also, can we please stop with this naive idea that a Codex-only poll would bring some kind of purity? We did this. We saw the results. Tons of alts, and a result that gets more casual the older the accounts are.

People have different tastes, learn to deal with it if you are afraid that the results will be casual. Also i bet that the number of alts voting would be vastly inferior than the amount of people outside of codex that voted, or codexers that voted many times.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

1. One codexer = 1 vote

:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigga it is almost the same result as your poll,kingmaker followed by KC. The difference was that deadfire got more votes than atom because atom came out later.

Also you can see who voted what,come on point me the evul alts.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Well, the downvoting of obscure games is a serious issue. I bet a lot of less known games are getting 1 just because of a glanced look, and as such I'd also consider it better to limit the number of picks to something like 3 or 5 best games, because that would emphasize on positive choices, ie. voting for the games you like instead of bitching about the ones you don't.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
I mean, DA:O and Witcher are shining beacons of incline compared to the 2012-2016 poll winner. Look at this and realize 2018 would be a standout year even if only the top 3 were released. Note that Underrail and AoD were above Witcher 3 in the actual 2015 poll as they should be.
15464.jpg

Prey was #2 in 2017. Not much more needs to be said about 2017 than that.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I mean, DA:O and Witcher are shining beacons of incline compared to the 2012-2016 poll winner. Look at this and realize 2018 would be a standout year even if only the top 3 were released. Note that Underrail and AoD were above Witcher 3 in the actual 2015 poll as they should be.
15464.jpg

Prey was #2 in 2017. Not much more needs to be said about 2017 than that.

I'm still at a loss as to how games like Lords of Xulima, Blackguards etc don't even make the top 5 in their respective years in that list collection. Both were 2014 & while people might have considered Neo Scavenger more 'novel' (possibly shilled?) both Xulima and Blackguards are clearly better cRPGs & Dark Souls 2? Legends of Grimrock 2? Even Dragonfall DC didn't really have enough of a cRPG system to out cRPG both blackguards and Xulima. Xulima had a mid-November release date which probably didn't help, but even still.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Then why we can;t have both polls - one for Codexers only, another one for everyone.
Then there could be conducted analysis about what are the differences, why they are, and what that mean.
Analysis least once, not every year.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom