Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2018: Results & Cool Graphs

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by felipepepe, Jan 21, 2019.

1. The Great ThunThun* How DARE you!? Patron

The Great ThunThun*
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This is the more honest overview of what PoE is, condensed in one word to MEDIOCRE.

Nevertheless, now imagine if P:K was TURN BASED.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Turn based with balanced and challenging 3.5 encounters...ah
    That's maybe Realms beyond or this https://www.tactical-adventures.com/

^ Top  
  3. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    I did not realize Kingdom Come Deliverance was regarded so highly on the codex. I need to put it and Atom on my list.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. TT1 Magister Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hmmm, but using your metric on my quoted graph, Deadfire should be on "new classics" subset, right?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Martyr Magister

Martyr
    lots and lots of new VNs released on gog today and I was finally starting to write off gog completely, but then this happens.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Brozef Learned Patron

Brozef
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Seems alright (aside from ignoring the true GOTY Grimoire V2; but I guess it is the only way to give other games a chance, otherwise Grimoire will still be winning in 2035)

I am really surprised to see that ATOM is apparently that good. I really have to check it out sometime. Though I really dislike the commieblock aesthetic for a post-apocalyptic setting. I mean it works in a game like Stalker where it underlines the otherwordly setting or in a real life setting where it goes to show that hell is already real. But for post-apocalypse type setting to work there needs to be a miss match or a shift between what once was (optimistic 50s pulp futurism in Fallout; art deco in Bioshock) and the decay and ruins of the post-apocalypse. I mean If its the end of the world and your Russian, do you even notice?

• Funny Funny x 9
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. CarbonCarousel Learned

CarbonCarousel
    Looks like I need to give Pathfinder a try. However, Codex, if it's as disappointing as Deadfire I'm coming back for some scalps.

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Surprised we don't have a Pathfinder review yet? With it being so well liked...

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 5
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    People voting KCD that high probably didn't finish it. Strange, really. I was hyped for KCD before release, played the shit out of the game at release...and then got the endgame. Which is insanely fucking boring. Everthing Monastery-onwards in that game is utterly boring.

But...yeah, game starts fun and that's how it gets voted. Like D:OS2 all over again.

• Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    After you get back next Tuesday is fine, I'll set a reminder to follow up with you

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Martyr Magister

Martyr
    tbh everything before the monastery was boring as well. KCD is a boredom-simulator. the most intelligent thing to do with the monastery is google who to kill, instantly kill that guy and get out of there asap.
    imo Kingdom Come is at its best when you kill wanderers and bandits and soak in that medieval atmosphere. the writing and story should be ignored.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    I think this overstates it a bit.

Except the bit about the Monastery which really is insanely fucking boring (and horribly implemented on top of it).

Also the ladder raid was kind of annoying in that it's basically designed failure.

But the end game is only what 8 hours or so? Underrail had a shit endgame too and it was still good.

^ Top  
  13. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    this. I first got the quest and I was like "so this is the point in the game where I get to larp as a medieval monk? Yeah, no thanks [alt tabs to google]". I stopped playing the game once I got to a point with a severe lack of dudes to kill.

Speaking of "dudes to kill", the fact that the combat and the combo system never really come to realize their full potential is also a massive bummer. I don't think I ever managed to pull a combo outside of the arena save for the odd scarmaker, since enemies are either parry gods or scrubs who just die in two blows. No epic fights to pull combos, meh...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    lol from all these games I've only played Ghost of a Tale and while it's a great little game, it's definitely not an rpg...

but it's cool so many people liked it, it definitely deserves recognition.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Martyr Magister

Martyr
    I always found it fascinating when a single dude with torn clothes and a wooden club or shitty sword parries until you've run out of stamina and then beats you to a bloody piece of meat, but fighting fully armed/equipped knights on the other hand can end like this:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Balanced x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ATOM NPCs attitude towards the apocalypse should be not very different from this:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

I for one finished it and posted in the thread about it, so it's there.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Corvinus Arcane

Corvinus
    I think that, of all those games, it is only ATOM that interests me.
    They just don't make them like they used to, two decades ago. The oft praised giants of old are clearly spent since they've failed to make anything worthwhile since then. Further, if they put even a hint of the "current brainwashing agenda" into the game, it is an instant NO from me. Even if you can exterminate said conveyors ingame, it makes my face so very tired.

Show Spoiler
    How the fuck did they think it was a good idea to put that phrase in a game? Or in anything, for that matter...

Finally, those just shy of 30% decline enablers to the far left on the graph ought to be concentrated somewhere. Perhaps in a work-promoting camplike enviroment. It will prove liberating, mark my words.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    I'd be all over that but it'd need a drastic overhaul to work well turn based. A lot of the encounters are fine for RTWP but would be dull as all hell in a turn based environment, not to mention they'd probably need to halve or quarter the combat encounters and up the XP gained just so that the 100+ hour RPG doesn't turn into a 300+ hour RPG. It's why even though I'm interested in seeing Deadfire's turn based mode if they ever get around to releasing it I'm not sure how well it'll work if they don't go through the game and rejigger encounters based on it.

Might be 'cause the game's so big. As far as I know only a few people have beaten it, initially that was due to bugs but it's also just because it's a big-ass game. Pretty sure Shadenuat has beaten it at least once and I think he's gone through it a few times.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. The_Sloth_Sleeps Learned

The_Sloth_Sleeps
    I don't understand the results. ATOM should be number #1, clearly.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. purpleblob Savant

purpleblob
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Top 3: a russian rpg, a western-slav rpg, and a soviet-themed rpg.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • incline incline x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Are you seriously implying that this
    looks better than this:
    If so, that'd give some very literal meaning to "nostalgia lenses".

• Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    You know, in the Codex, popular vote actually matters.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Sòren Cipher

Sòren
    thanks! just bought.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    ATOM deserved at least second place. it has a higher score than second place but played by fewer because of the late release

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.