Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2018: Results & Cool Graphs

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Curious that AssCreed managed to beat Bard's Tale. Didn't play it myself yet, but it's hard to imagine it was that bad.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
What's hard to imagine is that 8% of the total polled users thought Assassins' Creed Odyssey was a great RPG by the same standards with which we judge Pathfinder.

The IGN forums might be more suitable for these people.

Shin

Cipher
What's hard to imagine is that 8% of the total polled users thought Assassins' Creed Odyssey was a great RPG by the same standards with which we judge Pathfinder.

The IGN forums might be more suitable for these people.

Just playing devil's advocate here (haven't played an Assgame in ages) but if it was included in the same poll as Pathfinder, people might/should assume that it should be judged by the same standards. Just like how KC: deliverance and Atom have very little in common... blobbers gonna blob, realtimers gonna pause, popamoles gonna pop some moles etc..

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
Just playing devil's advocate here (haven't played an Assgame in ages) but if it was included in the same poll as Pathfinder, people might/should assume that it should be judged by the same standards. Just like how KC: deliverance and Atom have very little in common... blobbers gonna blob, realtimers gonna pause, popamoles gonna pop some moles etc..

Then why was it even included in the poll? Assassin's creed Odyssey is not an RPG.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The Codex's four worst games of the year were all based on old school franchises :negative:

Untitled.png

That's good 'ol rite of raping a dead body...

sstacks

Arcane
Tags: GOTY 2018

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the RPG Codex 2018 GOTY Award!

This year we had 773 voters, who rated a whopping 114 RPGs that came out in 2018, including DLCs, PC ports and remakes. Once again we had three categories: Game of the Year, Best Expansion/DLC and Best PC Port/Remaster.

For those of you who just want the TL;DR, here are the winners:

Durn I missed the voting. Ah well I'm sure SCL did well anyway...

sstacks

Arcane
Ouch ouch OUCH those Bard's Tale IV numbers compared to POE II and Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Especially with the Bard's Tale Trilogy remake scoring so high. The CRPG player wants... CRPGs. As in the classic sense, classic being both 80s style and 90s Infinity Engine style.

felipepepe as always thanks for the work on the GOTY voting.

sstacks

Arcane
felipepepe Do you have time to Skype or Discord or etc for 20-30 minutes in the next week or two for a special podcast on these results and your analysis? Not a full show, we can record whenever

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not many rpgs in this poll,a little bit sad that bard's tale got shitted on that much. It is not such a bad game to be bellow asscreed or monster hunter.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Interesting, looks like the decent game territory starts around Warhorse and stretches eastward these days. :D

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
When ATOM was first announced I was really sceptical of yet another crappy eastern european Fallout clone. Atomboy changed my mind soon though and so I backed it. I haven't gotten around playing it yet but I am glad it apparently turned out so good it even made our top 3.

The only RPG I really played this year was Star Traders Frontiers and I am glad it made the top 10. Trese Brothers are really underrated. I barely noticed all the hours I sunk into this space sandbox and now I haven't played for a couple of months they already added so much new stuff to the game, its amazing. Will probably play that many years down the line.

Eventually I'll have to get around and try Kenshi too.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
sorinmask My very first post on this god forsaken forum.
Just make another Infinity Engine based CRPG, where the only thing that needs to be changed is the setting and story. Keep the core mechanics of those games the same. I don't need any improvements made to the old BG games, or PS:T, short of revamping some of the old graphics and animations as done in the Enhanced Editions. Bring back those gorgeous hand drawn maps of old, and don't worry about the voice acting so much. Sure you wouldn't make as much money, but you also wouldn't spend nearly as much producing these games, and you'd be able to access an entirely new market of gamers.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Didn't really played any of them. Saw Kingmaker on Youtube, it looked like a bad NWN remake. But, considering other contestants, it is little wonder Kingmaker won. I'd given first place to PoE 2 though.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Game of the Year
1st - Pathfinder: Kingmaker
2nd - Kingdom Come: Deliverance
3rd - ATOM RPG
I can't say I'm dissatisfied with these results.
slavthumbuphrj31.jpg

Best Remake/Port
The Bard's Tale Trilogy

Best DLC/Expansion
Battle Brothers: Beast & Exploration
I voted for those, so I couldn't agree more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom