Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
FUCK! I managed to read 50 pages of fascinating melodrama and black humour. I fell a sense of pride and accomplishment. Really enjoyed that MCA decided embrace the codex way and mess with Infinitron. This must be the first time i see the jew get that much butthurt,it was a glorious show :lol:. Somebody should gift him a Vaseline for ass lubrication. As for MCA burning bridges...well maybe in california. He wouldn't have much problem finding work for indies or European studious. Also it could be possible that the NCA doesn't have that weight in other countries. Seeing how it is 5 in the morning i will drink a glass of wine and go to bed chuckling. Great thread,reminded me of Markland and NeoGaf ones....i look at it as a gift from up high for my birthday(1st of may) :lol:.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It'll sell, because as we've learned from Electronic Arts, no matter how bad a company treats its employees, consumers don't give a fuck as long as they can get their fix.

Electronic Arts treats its employees super well relatively speaking according to all the surveys what are you talking about.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Roguey agris I don't/wouldn't blame Josh (or any of the rest of them) one bit for staying far away from their official forums. I don't post on forums where professionals are forced to tolerate people with avatars like this, either. I can tolerate feminists, SJWs, white supremacists, Muslims, Scientologists, weeaboos, and even communists and furries, but I draw the fucking line at bronies.

It's not just about bronies, but where they are tolerated and people aren't allowed to bully them off the Internet, other deeply unpleasant aspects will also exist in the forum culture.

09a383f06c.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You guise, Chris was just saying that instead of calling himself the News Jew, Infinitron should change his tag to Israeli Commentary to be more accurate, that's all.

2house2fly

Magister
It just strikes me as kind of silly to use "treated Chris Avellone well/poorly" as the main criteria for judging the moral character of a given company. I can understand boycotting companies that kill people or fund your political opponents or violate some religious commandment like dealing in pork products. But as much as I love his work, the ethical treatment of Chris Avellones is pretty far down on my list of things to get up in arms about.

I mean, is Chris himself even calling for a boycott?
It's entertainment, and anyone can support or not support anyone for any reason: treated Avellone poorly, broke kickstarter promises, don't like Muslims, etc. Or no reason. Who cares

2house2fly

Magister
I mean, is Chris himself even calling for a boycott?
As he's already mentioned, he's all for doing anything that doesn't help the owners make any money. The Deadfire developers have already been paid, so if Deadfire sales suffer, it's the owners who hurt the most. Maybe there's lay-offs, but a talented bunch can get back on their feet soon enough and freeing them from the yoke of Obsidian is arguably doing them a favor (though they're likely just trading one bad master for another).
He specifically said he doesn't want to personally do anything that could make them money again, so that way they can't freak out about him spilling the beans because there are no beans to spill.

Still, it would be the actions of a madman to read his posts in this thread and assume he wants people to support Obsidian

2house2fly

Magister
Hey Chris, when Eric talked about some members of management having personality disorders, who do you think he was referring to?

Follow up: which personality disorders?

I know the people he’s referring to, but it was lame to bring it up and would be lame to add to it, and it doesn’t affect their performance.

That’s the last thing I’ll say about it, it shouldn’t have been said in the first place.
Oh yeah. It would be bad form to go airing dirty laundry like that in public.

Developer

My only point is I believe it’s one thing to criticize people for actions they take of their own volition, and another to criticize people for their brain chemistry which isn’t their fault and doesn’t affect their job performance.

Disorders can get stigmatized in the game industry like any other, and it can be used to undermine people’s work and voice, that’s all I mean.

He specifically said he doesn't want to personally do anything that could make them money again, so that way they can't freak out about him spilling the beans because there are no beans to spill.

Still, it would be the actions of a madman to read his posts in this thread and assume he wants people to support Obsidian

I don’t care if people support Obsidian, Pillars, etc. My issue is specifically with upper management, not the actual developers or the games the developers make.

I absolutely believe (and have seen many instances of this) that Obsidian’s success rarely translates into financial gain and job security for any employee – but it can help an employee's reputation and their resume, however.

I know the people he’s referring to, but it was lame to bring it up and would be lame to add to it, and it doesn’t affect their performance.

That’s the last thing I’ll say about it, it shouldn’t have been said in the first place.

Out of curiosity, what was the best place/time to work at? In terms of development processes, personal involvement/input and relationships with your peers (in work context, that is).

Developer
Out of curiosity, what was the best place/time to work at? In terms of development processes, personal involvement/input and relationships with your peers (in work context, that is).

Interplay: First few years were stressful b/c Black Isle was finding its way, PST and F2 were fun but stressful, Icewind Dale 1 was pretty laid back (I was coming off Torment and Fallout 2 crunch and got some downtime), then fear of bankruptcy and collapse set in around IWD2 and kept growing, etc., working on Van Buren before BG3 collapse was a lot of fun, then BG3 got canceled, departures happened, etc. Interplay in the early years had a great camaraderie about it, though, especially in the “old” building where people were crammed together by necessity.

Obsidian: KOTOR2, NWN2 were stressful, MotB was an upswing (I liked working on that very much), things started going sour again around AP/Aliens (inc. the layoffs), I didn't work on DS3, New Vegas was stressful, the DLCs were a fun time, but the next round of layoffs kind of ruined the end of that run. The morale of the studio did go up after South Park was released, as a lot of people liked the game so there were more eyes on the studio, but the rise in morale wasn’t because of working on South Park (which was stressful). After that, it was pretty uncertain and had a lot of ups and downs. Armored Warfare kept most of the studio afloat, though, but the drawback was once the deal fell through, it looked like there was no way to place everyone on a new project, so again - more layoffs (I wasn't there when that happened).

Developer
Are you saying that bonuses are rare occurrences and that Obsidian's financial situation always leaves them on the verge of laying off a lot of people?

I think there might have been a bonus once in the ten+ years I was there, but it was very early on. It wasn't normally done (nor were the yearly reviews regularly done and apparently, still aren't).

EDIT: And this isn't a secret, but the payscale at Obsidian is definitely on the low end of the industry as well - the tradeoff is you get to work on RPGs, though (usually).

EDIT 2: I didn't answer about layoffs, but the rate is about once every three years, if I'm tracking the numbers correctly. The end of a project doesn't always mean a layoff, though - but at other times with cancelled/lost projects like Armored Warfare, there apparently wasn't enough funds to keep people on while securing a new project (which takes time, usually months).

The Stormlands cancellation definitely had no back-up plans (as has been relayed), but I don't blame Microsoft for that - while I wasn't on the project, it turns out there were signs they were unhappy with the project and the team a long time before they finally canceled the game, and the warning signs were there, but no contingency plans were ever made.

Once things really started going south, the producer-owners definitely worked hard to try and persuade Microsoft to keep working with them but it was too late - a lot of what you see related in the media and documentaries is mostly a result of the fact you can't do anything else but try and put yourself in a noble light vs. the demands of the big evil publisher when something like that happens - but in fact, there were big problems on both sides. The former, however, definitely makes for a better story.

Last edited:

Imoens pet

Prospernaut
Shitposter

Interplay: First few years were stressful b/c Black Isle was finding its way, PST and F2 were fun but stressful, Icewind Dale 1 was pretty laid back (I was coming off Torment and Fallout 2 crunch and got some downtime), then fear of bankruptcy and collapse set in around IWD2 and kept growing, etc., working on Van Buren before BG3 collapse was a lot of fun, then BG3 got canceled, departures happened, etc. Interplay in the early years had a great camaraderie about it, though, especially in the “old” building where people were crammed together by necessity.

Obsidian: KOTOR2, NWN2 were stressful, MotB was an upswing (I liked working on that very much), things started going sour again around AP/Aliens (inc. the layoffs), I didn't work on DS3, New Vegas was stressful, the DLCs were a fun time, but the next round of layoffs kind of ruined the end of that run. The morale of the studio did go up after South Park was released, as a lot of people liked the game so there were more eyes on the studio, but the rise in morale wasn’t because of working on South Park (which was stressful). After that, it was pretty uncertain and had a lot of ups and downs. Armored Warfare kept most of the studio afloat, though, but the drawback was once the deal fell through, it looked like there was no way to place everyone on a new project, so again - more layoffs (I wasn't there when that happened).

Why did you stick with Obsidian for so long?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Hello everyone, I'm from Something Awful and I genuinely can't tell the difference between blowing the whistle on shitty treatment of employees and publicly announcing that individuals are afflicted by this or that mental illnesses.

By the way, fat women aren't responsible for being fat, should never be mocked, and refusing to date them is sexist; but short men are responsible for not being tall, mocking them is hilarious, and women are entitled to their preferences. Only short, involuntarily celibate fucking white males find this even remotely hypocritical. If you agree, come join us on our forums where we can all agree together for a one-time payment of $10.

cfbb83ea3c.png

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Benefits at Obsidian
Being a part of one of the few remaining independent developers in the world creating role-playing games is only the start! Obsidian offers many benefits to its employees:

• Competitive salaries
  • Immediate 401k with matching and no vesting periods
  • Complete comprehensive employee health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
  • Paid vacation, sick leave, holidays and an additional week off during the December holidays
  • A well maintained games, book and DVD library with hundreds of titles available to borrow
  • Movie Fridays where the company takes a workday field trip across the street to see the latest and greatest blockbuster movies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom