Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Feargus Urquhart at Digital Dragons 2016

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously?

Probably not?

Feargus has a history of shooting his mouth in interviews. In contrast, Josh Sawyer has a history of not revealing anything unless it's a sure thing. If he was willing to openly proclaim that his next project is planned to be a turn-based historical RPG, there's a good chance that it'll happen.

Mustawd

Seriously?

Probably not?

Feargus has a history of shooting his mouth in interviews. In contrast, Josh Sawyer has a history of not revealing anything unless it's a sure thing. If he was willing to openly proclaim that his next project is planned to be a turn-based historical RPG, there's a good chance that it'll happen.

Makes sense. UF sounds overly cautious as always. As an accountant, I can't help but brofist that.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
To be completely honest this image outlines what I feel about the interview:

4fc.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To be completely honest this image outlines what I feel about the interview:

4fc.jpg
Did you really expect tha they will announce something groundbreaking in an RPG Codex interview?

Well technically he did, it's just that it was published at Gamepressure.com first.

But some of this other stuff is interesting too. Four Tyranny writers, Boyarsky stories, Hidden.

Athelas

Arcane
Athelas says Hidden was an old pitch from years ago. What's your source, Athelas?
None, since finding details about an unused IP mentioned only once in passing with a name as generic as 'Hidden' is unsurprising very difficult. I did search the Codex and it turned up a mention (by Roguey, unsurprisingly):
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...to-the-new-thread.75947/page-963#post-2980006

I vaguely recall someone (Feargus?) posting some nursery rhyme from the game during the PoE Kickstarter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So even the game's title isn't new information. Guess it's something we forget we knew.

Nothing. Just a game over which MCA may have left Obsidian.

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

First: It was said long ago that it was because of having his work and projects cut, MCA left. I think that cancelling Hidden put him on the ledge of a cliff, and then there was needed only a light push (PoE companions cuts) to put him over it.
Second: I asked him about it. He was totally shocked. And declined an answer. Only other answers he declined was about projects in the works he cannot talk about. And Dwarf villain, but some people at Obsidian still want it to be made, so that may be the reason.

Athelas says Hidden was an old pitch from years ago. What's your source, Athelas?
None, since finding details about an unused IP mentioned only once in passing with a name as generic as 'Hidden' is unsurprising very difficult. I did search the Codex and it turned up a mention (by Roguey, unsurprisingly):
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...to-the-new-thread.75947/page-963#post-2980006

I vaguely recall someone (Feargus?) posting some nursery rhyme from the game during the PoE Kickstarter.

Ohhh. Roguey Tell us how did you know it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you remember if those comments were at general comments or at one of updates? Do you remember the year or a month or a season or anything related to the time? I am trying to go through them, but there are more than 60 000 of them and you just can't load them all and ctr+f them :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
First: It was said long ago that it was because of having his work and projects cut, MCA left. I think that cancelling Hidden put him on the ledge of a cliff, and then there was needed only a light push (PoE companions cuts) to put him over it.
Second: I asked him about it. He was totally shocked. And declined an answer. Only other answers he declined was about projects in the works he cannot talk about. And Dwarf villain, but some people at Obsidian still want it to be made, so that may be the reason.

So that leaves us with... what we already (sort of) know.

10 October 2012 all kicktstarter comments about it:
We have a game pitch that Avellone wrote about three or four years ago called Hidden that is exactly that.
Nope. Let me see if I have the quick pitch. Just sec.
Myths and Folk Tales exist, see, they fill the seams in our world. You know them already, but you forget fast. The faint trilling of a flute beneath a sewer grate, a click-spinning bike wheel with a length of blonde hair twined in its spokes, the click-click of glass-spiked heels on a sidewalk echoing, echoing, then... wait, it's gone. The faint smell of brimstone from the local pub with the ash-blackened windows and the men who walk out more hunched than they went in, a nest of filthy blankets arranged in a square pen that seems too small for a human to sleep on
This is the second part. The world we walk in is one we see through untraumatized eyes... the one you see without accident, the see something else... more than you bargained for. Once seen, these things can never be unseen. You become a part of the hidden world, its rules, its inhabitants - and their bargains. It'll creep up on you. You might smell spoiled beef from an empty alley, a fingernail scratching a tune on a record in a sealed attic… or catch a sewer manhole sliding noiselessly closed. A grinning smile within the door of a doghouse. A sudden feeling of déjà vu and a faint, distant jazz saxophone when you enter a hotel lobby. Smoke and ash lingering in the air where no fire has burned, and the faint smell of the charnel house may come from a children's playground. Your grandmother in a brief moment of lucidity, recite a poem from the 16th century and tells you the third line will determine your fate, and all the while, the candles in her windows flicker even when there's no breeze to brush by them. Every alley merits a second glance, then a third... but when you turn away, your surroundings have changed. There is splashing in empty fountains, a giggle behind an abandoned storefront, the ting of a glass shard falling... you may even hear the dust motes whispering amongst themselves. Then - it gets worse. When something cuts you deep, physically or emotionally, sometimes you catch a glimpse of the world as it unfolds… walls peel away, tiles fall from floors into the Abyss, and reality becomes a hallucination you happen to have shared with everyone you knew. Distance has no meanings, streets stretch on forever, and things at your peripheral vision suddenly become very, very real. Nothing can be measured, and you see a glimpse of the infinite. Demons lurk in bars, waiting and getting drunk on human misery, as they sip emptiness from glasses of pessimism... and wait for humanity to come in to pick and choose which of those empty vessels they wish to sample and fill with their energy. Mothers forget their children, their houses filled with empty cribs whose contents have been misplaced. Some say there's a dark overlord behind it all, pulling the strings - Lucifer himself, the puppeteer, the one-we-all-answer-to, the fallen angel... but thing is, no one's seen him for some time. It's like he's vanished, gone, into the air... like a folk tale. Where has he gone, you say? Well, that's the part of the story where you walk in - or wake up, might be better. You and this fellow Lucifer, turns out you have a history. A brief one, a cloudy one, but very, very troubling. But that's how all tales begin... the tales worth telling, that is.

Space Insect

Arcane
Feargus Urquhart Interview: Donald Trump Edition

THE KICKSTARTER GOAL FOR PILLARS 2 JUST GOT 10K HIGHER
We're gonna... you know... [laughs] make a huge RPG... [laughter?] and we're gonna make Bethesda pay for it!

This new video game, this new RPG, the Codexers, they love me, they want it to happen. I want it to happen. It's gonna be yuge, this RPG. We're gonna stop Todd Howard, that's step number one. And Bethesda employees, they love me. We're gonna make a deal with them, and this game, it will be yuge. I love the RPG Codex.
Jedi Master Radek: Maybe you can prove me wrong, but I don't think you're a friend to console.
Feargus: I love consoletards. I cherish them. Todd Howard says"No, you can't cherish" but I do. Chris Avellone is always pushing me to take about consoles in the future, because he knows my stance on them.
Jedi Master Radek: Okay, so if your games comes out, will I get the same game on my console as the PC's do, and will I get to choose what I do with my console?
Feargus: You'll get the same game if your console is the same.
:mrpresident:

Fairfax

Arcane
There's a whole timeline of frustrating events that happened to him. Dwarfs, NWN2, Aliens, (FNV (Ulysses), Alpha Protocol, etc. I've also asked him a couple of times if he worked on Backspace, but he never answered.
I think it was a long process. Ever since FNV DLCs he started looking for projects outside Obsidian. I always thought his work on FTL for free was a strong sign that he was unhappy, and Obsidian's partners probably failed to pick up on that.
But that and my other impressions are just a Fairfax Theory™, as Infinitron calls it. :M

Second: I asked him about it. He was totally shocked. And declined an answer.
Interesting. Asked him what: about Hidden or about his departure?

About Hidden. He looked at me for a moment strangely like he had just noticed I was a Reptilian, he said nothing for a second or two and then he said with an admiration: "You are good". Will not spoil it more :)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
:slamdunk:

on how rattled and random he was.

He's articulate only when he shouts at his employees "NO, fuck you!" as heard in the PoE kickstarter closing livestream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom