Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Josh Sawyer at GDC Europe 2016

Fry

Arcane
"MOBA" is very clear. It describes a shitty game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
When you listen to & read Sawyer enough it becomes pretty clear why Pillars turned out the way it did.

The guy seems like an extremely left-brain thinker -- i.e. highly logical, analytical, and detail-oriented. This is what makes him a really good Project Director, an overly obsessive Systems Designer, and an uninspired Worldbuilder/Writer.

That doesn't mean he isn't creative per se, or at least important to the creative process. I think someone of his type can be good at wrangling the ideas of others and forming them into a cohesive whole -- a curator, if you will.

The problem is I don't think Sawyer is aware of his own limitations. Pillars is too much his baby, thus it inherited too much of his own self. The game needed more of the creative juices of others in order to really come to life.

Sawyer is pretty aware of his limitations, but limiting Sawyer isn't high on Obsidian management's priorities. He has generally come through for Urquhart in tough situations, and is basically the company's "hound of war."

Last edited:

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
Sawyer seems eloquent, that makes him perfect for defending the game. He also admits some mistakes in PoE by saying:
I think having a world that feels more alive and reactive to time, those are goals of ours
which makes his words more credible

Reading the following argument not only once -
Again, it's figuring out the logistics....For example, Bethesda's engine actually makes moving NPCs around pretty easy.....For us, we have to pre-place most of our creatures and things. It's a little more difficult.
- makes me believe that the root of their problems is the engine. In the last (two) Twitch streams, if I remember correctly, Sawyer gave the impression that the engine has improved by saying that it is now easier to do stuff more faster than before.

Nevertheless one should be careful by supporting PoE2, because Sawyers eloquence didn´t make PoE1 a enjoyable game in the first place. As an example for a dissapointed gamer I want to mention Roguey.
Josh Sawyer's words of wisdom (that he failed to live up to with Pillars of Eternity 1.0 but succeeded with 3.0):
(regarding crpg rulesets) "Pretty much all games get it wrong."
"Honestly, I think it's really sad that RPGs essentially get a pass on having fundamentally junk core gameplay. And yes, I do consider combat to be a core gameplay element of most RPGs."

Quillon

Arcane
In the last (two) Twitch streams, if I remember correctly, Sawyer gave the impression that the engine has improved by saying that it is now easier to do stuff more faster than before.

Yeah, sounded like they've been making tools to streamline production. I'm excited for the figstarter, they'll prolly have something more concrete to show this time other than saying "we made this and that and that other classic game" also given that only one of the 3 advertised legendary devs left on the project from the first campaign. Also expecting better stretch goals than what we've been seeing in other games(100k for customizable insignia, YAY!), especially with all those "hard to author" wanted features "for the future".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Good" stretch goals are dead as a concept. :M

Sentinel

Arcane
Just get rid of stretch goals altogether.

Fucking cancer that only added more strain to PoE development and brought nothing good. Stronghold was useless shit, Caed Nua ended up as boring filler, backer NPCs were cringeworthy, Twin Elms was cut and short as fuck with nothing interesting inside.

Quillon

Arcane
Well, some certain stretches really stretched the game but not all were bad:

fa7a19e9096624216c36a6596bc4464f_original.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Twin Elms was the right size given player fatigue that would be inevitable in act 3. :cool:

Quillon

Arcane
Twin Elms felt like the game starting all over again; right when all the infodump finished and we got familiarized with defiance bay and surroundings etc. a new batch of infodump about a whole new culture and location started, it was just too much, barely stopped myself from rushing through to the end. And for the devs the pacing problem is in between act1 and 2...

Sannom

Augur
Twin Elms was cut and short as fuck with nothing interesting inside.
You're an idiot. Twin Elms has some of the best quests in the game and Glanfanthan society has much more personality than what we saw in Defiance Bay.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
One of the highlights of my Pillars replay was finding out that the Glanfanthans have in fact been hitting on the delemgans all this time (as I would).

PLgAFww.jpg

:shredder:

tripedal

Savant
Does Twin Elms really have decent quests? It's where I quit the game and uninstalled. I walk in and immediately someone asks me to murder a fucking baby, it was like a bad parody of a typical Obsidian quest.

Sentinel

Arcane
Does Twin Elms really have decent quests? It's where I quit the game and uninstalled. I walk in and immediately someone asks me to murder a fucking baby, it was like a bad parody of a typical Obsidian quest.
Yeah it has some neat ones. Probably the most memorable quests in the game, other than Raedric's Hold and the one about the guy's daughter and the cult in the village.
Also
you can carry that baby with you for the rest of the game, you don't need to kill it. The game even has a slide at the end acknowledging that you're carrying a baby around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom