Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Codex Interview: Might & Magic X - Legacy

duchU

Educated
Arcomage was never a series staple, it was just a cute thing they did later on. No reason to expect it.
Yeah I know but it would make the game longer and somehow better :) Also I am curious about Fly spell but I guess it won't be include in MMX.

Wizfall

Cipher
Great interview and very nice to them to answer.
Moreover quite everything is :incline:.
3 class/race is not that great but in the end it should be enough. Especially if the class are well designed.
A big world, something like 20 dungeons and the possibility to go anywhere past the first the area is awesome.
The only element i did not like is the absence of random encounters. It would be my first blobber without random encounters so i'm really not confident with that. Don't know how they will manage it.
Also i havn't play Clouds of Xeen, how big is it compared to Wizardry 7/8 (i guess MM6 was much bigger) ?

Zeriel

Arcane
WoX which is Clouds + Darkside put together is often quoted as 200 hours. Certainly it's hard to guess sight unseen, but it seems rather weird for them to say that it's both larger than Clouds and only 20 hours long.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The amount of self delusion is sickening. Incline my ass.

Apart from the logical sense that you pay a trainer to teach you fucking new things & tactics, it was a very good money sink for the money you acquire and like in every game, it turns out you have too much.
It was very satisfying to give a shitload of my hard earned money to get that extra skill point.

"This seemed a little too old-school and in a grid-based game would have meant a tedious amount of backtracking."

This quote is filled with so much bullshit I can't even know where to begin.
Making an old school type game but not too old-school because of the instant gratification element we need to cater for.
Backtraking? Only if you design a railway shooter.

"Accessibility is not about making the game less complex, but making it easier to use and understand."
I cant even count the number of times I've heard that when different classical franchises were in development (or to better put it, raped)

I cant believe you suckers fall for this PR bullshit and carefully chosen words.
At least wait to see some through gameplay before you start to wet yourself.
If this game is soooo old-school, does it mean that it will have a DEMO?

Skepticism is dead on this forum. I've been lurking here for years and years and never before I was so put off by the moronic ungrounded optimism.
I guess God Emperor Fargo is to blame?
Or the years of drought and now when you see PR coated shit is ambrosia all of a sudden.

Zeriel

Arcane
We've already seen gameplay, there was a video. Their words back up what little evidence there is to be had, so... yep. I could really take apart the details there, but what's the point? Some people will be negative no matter what.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe only main quest is 20 ish hours? İf there are more than 20 dungeons and they arereally of various sizes and complexity, then only complting them should be longer than 20 hours.

Edit: I don't really want to incline anybodies ass...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Incline my ass.

So your only criticism is that you level up without trainers and that you didn't see the gameplay footage? Personally, I couldn't care less about this trainer thing as I am quite happy with the leveling system in Wizardry, etc.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Reading between the lines, they seem to have indirectly confirmed that there might be multiple towns to visit, thus putting the fear of there being only one (Karthal) to rest.
It's a shame the chances of the game making it to GOG are slim at best, but a one-time activation is not a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.

CormagMacD

Novice
I enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment when training in Xeen, especially at higher levels when most readily available sources of funds have been exhausted. My first playthroughs always found me without money in the endgame because of to much training and not enough saving. It really added to the game when you could finally tackle the Dungeon of Death or that fucking Mega Dragon.

While it's loss is not a deal breaker at all, I wonder how they will keep us invested for higher levels of play? Personally, one of my favorite things about Xeen is the dungeons or areas where you are not prepared for yet and get TPK'd quickly and have to back track for a bit. For example, in Darkside on the road between Castleview and Sandcaster: armadillos. No way in hell will you hit those damned, armor-busting pink bastards before level 20, though I usually first encounter them around level 12 - 15. Gives me a reason to go off and do side quests instead of plowing ahead with the main Darkside plot line.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Very happy to see it is Open World, and with high level areas. Not stupid level scaling. <3

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
So this means I have to buy it and play the pirated version.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
My mind is blown. Apart from putting sci-fi back in the game, all is left is one of the developers suddenly start posting here and acting as bro as the guys from Larian, Torment or Chaos Chronicles. :P

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My mind is blown. Apart from putting sci-fi back in the game, all is left is one of the developers suddenly start posting here and acting as bro as the guys from Larian, Torment or Chaos Chronicles. :P

Honestly I think the only worrisome thing is the "25 hours of gameplay." There's just no way you would say that about a true M&M-scale game with so much to do in it. Especially with grid-based movement which makes everything take twice as long. So the scale of the world worries me. Everything else, graaaaand.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah I'm reconsidering my skepticism too based more on this guys enthusiasm rather than the game itself. It's one thing to talk, another to deliver but at any rate this looks to be done with earnest intentions and even if it falls short of matching the classics it's still a victory of sorts that such a game is being funded by a AAA publisher in this day and age. Christ, just think that a little over a year ago we had nothing on the horizon to look forward to then along came W2 to start an avalanche. Who woulda thought?

Honestly I think the only worrisome thing is the "25 hours of gameplay." There's just no way you would say that about a true M&M-scale game with so much to do in it. Especially with grid-based movement which makes everything take twice as long. So the scale of the world worries me. Everything else, graaaaand.

Yeah, I raeged heartily, but now I see that this is like a 'fast food' version of M&M for the masses. Remember that it is still a Ubishit funded game, so Etrian Odyssey or Dark Spire grindan for hours per each map over 20+ maps is never going to be in the equation here. There's going to be enough greatness funded by KS over the next few years(and I believe we'll live to see a non-Clevean effort by original Wizardry or M&M groups eventually) to consider this as an interesting side dish.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

To be fair, they haven't said anything about 25 hours of gameplay in this interview. They did say the gameworld is comparable to Clouds of Xeen in size, though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

To be fair, they haven't said anything about 25 hours of gameplay in this interview. They did say the gameworld is comparable to Clouds of Xeen in size, though.

I know, only mentioning it since it's my only current worry :)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, it IS Ubisoft making a AAA game afterall... is such an odd thign that making a smaller game, less financially dangerous game as "market test" first is understandable...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom