Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: The Banner Saga, 2D Turn-Based Strategy RPG

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Gosh, all this ado about a console port... of a Final Fantasy Tactics/Shining Force-inspired game? :lol:

Now this game might not turn out to be as complex as FFT, but what the hell. This is as retarded as it gets.

Let me guess, you love this genre like you love every other genre and will defend it against the "narrow minded" people, PCtards, etc.

C'mon don't hesitate to demonstrate your superior taste.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
tumblr_ld9vnkbUWZ1qzztk1o1_500.gif

Yes infinitron, there seems to be some data being cut off. I don't know of anywhere else keeping this data though.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ya'll got took in by pretty pictures and ignored that this had the stink of casual all over it from the very start.
To be fair, the pictures were extrodinarily pretty. I've spent more money on courting pretty girls who turned out to have no substance whatsoever once they opened their mouths.

While I have my doubts the end product will be worthwhile, there is still a chance it will turn out to be good. I think the best thing Chewbot & co can do at this point is get cracking on finishing a playable product, release that and then come back once people have hand a chance to form first-hand opinions. If the wasteland kickstarter, rush for grimrock, the people purchasing animu crap after LPs in the playground etc have demonstrated anything about the codex it is that we're willing to give most anything a fair chance and throw our jewgold at it if we like it. If they do manage to craft a deep and compelling strategy game to go with the pretty pictures, they will have gained themselves a rabid fanbase here regardless of how angry we sound about the kickstarter here and now.

So there you have it Stoic BROs. Dazzle us with gameplay and we are yours! Or don't, and we'll be that annoying stalker ex who shows up at family parties and makes things awkward for everyone. ;)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
While I have my doubts the end product will be worthwhile, there is still a chance it will turn out to be good.

Is still possible. But I wouldn't bet much on it. In my imagination Banner Saga has moved from an engaging strategy game to animated wallpaper in very short time.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Why would I want a blowjob from a nigger? :obviously:

Aaaaand here we are, back to flippant racism. Never change, codex :love:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Is it still episodic?

There's guys out there spending 250 bucks on a collectors edition for a game that'll last ten minutes?

It's still episodic BUT:
1) They're releasing the multiplayer component for free, so you will have the option to try before you buy
2) Everyone who bought in for a $50+ tier will get all the episodes on top of all the other swag.
3) Even if I have severe doubts about the end product (but I will maintain hope I'll be proven wrong) several of the physical goodies are absolutely gorgeous. I was very, very tempted to buy in for the landscape as I do have a wall in my living room it would look stunning on.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Is it still episodic?

There's guys out there spending 250 bucks on a collectors edition for a game that'll last ten minutes?

It's still episodic BUT:
1) They're releasing the multiplayer component for free, so you will have the option to try before you buy
2) Everyone who bought in for a $50+ tier will get all the episodes on top of all the other swag.

That's actually pretty decent, kudos to them for that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Gosh, all this ado about a console port... of a Final Fantasy Tactics/Shining Force-inspired game? :lol:

Now this game might not turn out to be as complex as FFT, but what the hell. This is as retarded as it gets.
The console port may mean a dumber UI that refuses to let me handle stuff nicely with the mouse, but it's not my main complain. I really got pissed at they focusing on stuff like concole ports and soundtrack/orchestra then on the actual game. As I said before, they didn't even address if the game will have a vital thing as individual weapons/inventory per unit. They said it was somehting up in the air due lack of money, and $300k later they annouce they finally can have....an orchestra and console ports. :facepalm:

IMHO their focus should be making a good & deep game, just like FFT, Shining Force and KoDP they mentioned, that's whats the extra money should be used on. If the game is a huge success, use part of the profit to fund the ports, there is no reason why you should compromise the quality of the game to make all versions available at launch, that's publisher logic. The KS is at $670K, if they don't reach 700k it that means that we will have consoles at launch and an orchestra, but no one will ever play the cities stuff...

Banner Saga developers are clearly satisfied in making an greatly produced but casual tactical RPG that sells as much as possible (ex-BioWare), and that's not what I signed in for.

EDIT: Also, I was going to reply at Something Awful, but you have to pay to register? WTF? :retarded:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The console port may mean a dumber UI that refuses to let me handle stuff nicely with the mouse, but it's not my main complain. I really got pissed at they focusing on stuff like concole ports and soundtrack/orchestra then on the actual game. As I said before, they didn't even address if the game will have a vital thing as individual weapons/inventory per unit. They said it was somehting up in the air due lack of money, and $300k later they annouce they finally can have....an orchestra and console ports. :facepalm:

I brought this issue up in the kickstarter comments. Several of the (BRO) responses pointed out that the include-a-relic tier was added after the Stoic BROs said "Ok, we got enough jewgoldz to bring items back" so presumably they are in already. I missed the update in question since I get a hideous amount of spam on the email acct I used for kickstarter but I an inclined to beleive them. No idea whether the inventory is unit-specific, hero-specific, army-specific or whatever.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The console port may mean a dumber UI that refuses to let me handle stuff nicely with the mouse, but it's not my main complain. I really got pissed at they focusing on stuff like concole ports and soundtrack/orchestra then on the actual game.
Dude, they had received 6X their originally planned budget before they started talking about orchestras and console ports. There's only so much money 3 guys can spend actually working on a game themselves.

The only thing that worries me is the "player owned city", since that seems like a complete change of the game concept.
Chewbot If you're still around, could you tell us more about the player town, and how it fits into a game about a traveling caravan?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This was posted by Stoic on their kickstarter comments a short while ago in response to some of us nerdraging about priorities for the gathered jewgold. I'm still trying to decide what I think about it, but it seems honest enough. I'll quote them verbatim and let their words speak for themselves.

Stoic said:
I'd like to lay to rest any of the "content" concerns, which may once again be a miscommunication? To be clear, Stoic does not want any more content than you have already pledged for. We are a small studio telling a specific story. We shouldn't just "add" more content any more than a good novel should just add more words. Adding content is not a 1 to 1 ratio of goodness to money spent. At some point we'd simply have to outsource the art we can't handle and at that point, believe me, your dollars are getting very diminished returns and the whole look of the game would become decidedly more generic. Picture me hiring some outside artist to paint the 'Framed Landscape' reward for you. Is that exciting?
Stoic set out to bring you a very tight experience and we have used the money pledged in an effort to go out and bring you the very best talent we could find from around the world to pack into this now better, not just longer experience.
The Banner Saga has definitely grown in length since we began the Kickstarter campaign, but it has only grown in size to the point that we initially dreamed it would get to. We are adding a ton of things we didn't think we could achieve by launch, such as achievements, leader boards, a storyline mode for the initial free combat multiplayer game, more great cinematics , cross over support between the chapter 1 and the combat multiplayer game, etc... and now maybe...p-player cites? Every day we look at the funding and are working furiously behind the scenes to throw some more cool stuff into the pot. Perhaps this is what you've been calling content?
We want you to know that all the extra support is going into making the game experience simply better.
We will be breaking down, in detail, all the 'stuff' that's going into this game when we have more time to explain it correctly after Kickstarter. We will also be putting up concept art, class designs, stat info, game mechanics, lore, gameplay videos, a store and more on our soon to be supported site. Head on over and sign up for the mailing list if you want to be kept in the loop:
http://stoicstudio.com/contact.html
-Arnie

My apologies to Chewbot & Co if I somehow quoted this out of context. Piecing together a full conversation from kickstarter comments is somewhat time consuming.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hmmm I can agree with his summary. Back to supporting this. Guess we shall see how it turns out in the end.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm still nerd raging mad at them not specifically talking about the inventory, but that post says that everything they wanted to make wil be made, so probably it will be in-game.

I would prefer if they oppenly announced gameplay elements being included too and not just fluffs, but you can't have everything. I'll follow your lead Ulminati, not very sure what to think, but I'll put in the minimun pledge and see if something in the next 7 hours makes me go back to $60.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I sent Chewbot a message telling him to ignore the obvious trolls here at the Codex. However, I encouraged him to stay as many here have good ideas/ concerns/ suggestions that any developer should listen to and that I hoped he would continue to post. He responded with this message that I hope he doesn't mind me showing here:

Stoic says:
Hello! Thanks for the message. Though I was pretty clearly irritated (lots going on right now) I'm not so annoyed as to never appear on codex again. Ive been involved in a lot of game forums and know how they can get. I think codex might be a lot more hardcore than our game, and do think people there could be disappointed by its emphasis on story. Its hard to message "deep tactical gameplay" because what it impossibly difficult for a casual crowd might look like checkers to a forum like codex. We think we'll run somewhere on the mid-high range for complexity. Still, if we cant appease the codex crowd, and I suspect we can't, I would rather not stir the hornet's nest any more at this point. We'll be releasing a free multiplayer standalone soon. If codex enjoys it we'll be happy to continue posting there, if not we'll just go our own seperate ways knowing it's not their cup of tea. I'll probably respond with something like that soon. Thanks again, hope you enjoy the game!

A :bro: for the personal response and not blowing me off even though I still told him consoles are crap. I find his response pretty good and it gives me a much better "vision" of what to expect from this game. I have to admit my initial excitement and support of the game came from the word turn-based but a lot came from the look and atmosphere I saw. I love the animation and if it's a little light on the strategy side... well... I think I can live with that. I give him props for the response and willingness to stick around here despite the obvious trolls :codexisfor:. I may now even increase my pledge having a better understanding of what the game will be. The free multiplayer mode is a good idea and should help give an even better idea on how true his statement of "mid-high range for complexity." Regardless, I hope he sticks around and keeps an open mind when it comes to our criticisms. We can definitely be harsh but our hearts are in the right place. :love:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
On a general level I think some people are expecting waaay too much information regarding specific gameplay features from these kickstarter pitches. No developer wants to promise something and then later have to cut it out because it turns out to not fit the game or be impossible to properly balance or something. So they will naturally be vague regarding anything that isn't part of the core design, such as individual inventories in felipepepe 's case. If something like that is essential to whether or not you'll enjoy the game, then staying off kickstarter and waiting to buy until it's done is probably the best idea.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That is only for the multiplayer portion of the game, that is not the same gameplay mechanic as the single player travelling caravan campaign. Already been said.

I'll just post a bit of that comment instead:

Its hard to message "deep tactical gameplay" because what it impossibly difficult for a casual crowd might look like checkers to a forum like codex.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
On a general level I think some people are expecting waaay too much information regarding specific gameplay features from these kickstarter pitches. No developer wants to promise something and then later have to cut it out because it turns out to not fit the game or be impossible to properly balance or something. So they will naturally be vague regarding anything that isn't part of the core design, such as individual inventories in felipepepe 's case. If something like that is essential to whether or not you'll enjoy the game, then staying off kickstarter and waiting to buy until it's done is probably the best idea.
Point taken, you are correct. It's just that for me that is a very important part of tactical RPGs, and adds a great deal of army customization and replayability... :(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
felipepepe clearly your only recourse is to pledge $800 or more and have your favourite multiheaded strap-on become an ITEM OF POWER for your raging berserker!
:mhd:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom