Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information RPG Codex picks for 2002

Briosafreak

Augur
Mistress said:
Yes....I read all magazine reviews with a hefty pinch of salt these days. It does tend to be the case that while there is a degree of accuracy with the less hyped games, of course the majorly hyped games tend to (not *always*) spawn biased and unbalanced reviews. Let me think of a recent example....oh yes...Neverwinter Nights of course. :lol:

This reminds me of the greatest screw up on pcgames magazines ever. In the early nineties there was an Elite sequel beeing made by Braben working for Gametek. They had a great PR work all set, and the hype was enormous in the U.K. . Guys from the main mags would spend a weekend in Gametek headquarters, with a free pass to watch everything, and talk to everyone. This led to many exclusives beeing printed, with the general hype raising exponentially.

Then the game goes out. It appears on the covers of all christhmas editions of the pcmags. In PCGAMER they put something like "we`ve seen it! Just read inside the surprises Braben has installed for us" .
In PCZONE or PCPOWER, i don`t remember wich, the cover was "Game of the Year", "Masterpiece". In pc gamer they showed not a review but what they called a first look (this is by memory, the wording may not be correct), and that the game seemed good and how excited they were to play a final version.
PCZONE or POWER gave it 96% and said it was the game every gamer was expecting...

They were wrong. The game was unplayable. It crashed every five minutes, nothing made sense, the interface was crap, et coetera.

Well, let`s just say the game is still known in the industry as the one game that created the patches fashion (then they were distributed in flopy disks, wich was ironic...) and everyone started asking for refunds in their shops :roll: and Gametek started the path for a name change, and later to be sold and desmanteled.

The excuses the game mags later gave were the best vaccination i ever had regarding reviews of hyped games. A lesson that i haven`t forgotten.

I like the reviews from this place, though i know i won`t have the time to play most of the games that have reviews here, i read them anyway just to warn or encourage people that do have that time .

Mistress

Liturgist
Briosafreak said:
I like the reviews from this place, though i know i won`t have the time to play most of the games that have reviews here, i read them anyway just to warn or encourage people that do have that time .

Saint's NWN review is the only one I have read that actually resembles my experience of the game in any way.

What I like about the reviews from sites like this one, is the fact that they are done with a view to informing the gamer, and that is what it should all be about.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Calis said:
Yup, that's right, we went ahead and did the Picks for 2002 anyway, despite people saying that we shouldn't. We're rebels.

Big winners would be Geneforge, Prelude to Darkness, Morrowind, Prince of Qin, and Divine Divinity.

On another note, my Content Approval Script still doesn't work properly. Back to the PHP source for me...

Interesting...can someone tell me when exactly the hivemind started hating on Morrowind?

Deleted member 7219

Nutcracker said:
Calis said:
Yup, that's right, we went ahead and did the Picks for 2002 anyway, despite people saying that we shouldn't. We're rebels.

Big winners would be Geneforge, Prelude to Darkness, Morrowind, Prince of Qin, and Divine Divinity.

On another note, my Content Approval Script still doesn't work properly. Back to the PHP source for me...

Interesting...can someone tell me when exactly the hivemind started hating on Morrowind?

Actually a LOT of people here like Morrowind.

Deleted member 7219

Nutcracker said:
Calis said:

Deleted member 7219

Nutcracker said:
Calis said:

mathboy

Liturgist
If you browse more recent posts, I believe Saint said that he hadn't played it enough to realize it was shit. Which is pretty great considering the discussion that went on in this thread.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Morrowind is a great game. For a sandbox experience it's the best thing since the Ultimas. " I can't talk the demon lord out of enslaving the world." Dialogue whores miss the point.

BOO

Cassidy

Arcane
Somebody unlock Retardoland before this forum becomes a coven of necromancers! Or are you wanting that October and maybe November become the official Months of the Necromancer in Codex?

Cassidy

Arcane
This thread has a nostalgic feel of both hope and despair... of times when the CRPG genre wasn't in a so bad form as it is now and when Bethesda didn't make CRPGs with quest compasses. On the other hand, games like Morrowind being between "best of 2002" because others were worse meant that it was also the beggining of the RPG genre decadence. And no matter what, picks for 1999, 1998 and 1997 would definitively give better results.

The codex servar is fucked..

by the Multi-headed dicks!

Severian Silk

Cassidy said:
On the other hand, games like Morrowind being between "best of 2002" because others were worse meant that it was also the beggining of the RPG genre decadence.

I don't know. I read the article and it didn't appear to me that they picked Morrowind due to a dirth of RPGs to choose from. In fact:

Article said:
This year's been pretty good as far as CRPG releases.

Failure of the hivemind, maybe?

kris

Arcane
Nutcracker said:

Better note that none of the the ones who said they liked Morrowind there is still regular posters here.

Nutcracker

Scholar
kris said:
Nutcracker said:

Better note that none of the the ones who said they liked Morrowind there is still regular posters here.

I dont think that theory can hold up given the influx of ESF'ers since 2005, who would be expected to be more sympathetic towards Morrowind.

I think the Morrowind hatred is just a vocal minority, assisted by the silence of those who hate Bethesda (dont we all?) because of Oblivion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom