Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Wasteland 2 Release Party

praetor

Arcane
Frankly (and this was also Zizek's point), exaggerated ethnic and racial insults promote kind of brotherhood. I can casually call praetor a dirty HUEHUE monkey, and he can reply by telling me to go back to my dirty potato field, and the end result of this exchange is that we've both affirmed that our nationalities and ethnicities don't matter one bit for the bond of brotherhood that we share (although I will never forgive Grunker and Infinitron for their heretical views on BG and Fallout).

I will say though, we need more niggers on the Codex, now that we have some real (?) women. Diversity is always good.

hey! i'm no brazzwhore! i'm actually Zizek's next door neighbour! you potato loving deviant! :outrage: :love:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You won't want to play PE on release :P

I usually don't play RPGs on release anyway. Damn shame how the lack of a quarterly-returns-concerned publisher hasn't resulted in fewer bugs so far.

I imagine it'll be good and ready by the time D:OS and Wasteland 2 are mostly patched and I've completed them. I suspect I'll end up abandoning Dead State partway.

That was a great fucking read, both parts. I only wish they were longer and more detailed.

Frankly (and this was also Zizek's point), exaggerated ethnic and racial insults promote kind of brotherhood. I can casually call praetor a dirty HUEHUE monkey, and he can reply by telling me to go back to my dirty potato field, and the end result of this exchange is that we've both affirmed that our nationalities and ethnicities don't matter one bit for the bond of brotherhood that we share (although I will never forgive Grunker and Infinitron for their heretical views on BG and Fallout).

I will say though, we need more niggers on the Codex, now that we have some real (?) women. Diversity is always good.

hey! i'm no brazzwhore! i'm actually Zizek's next door neighbour! you potato loving deviant! :outrage: :love:

Can we count on you to pound down on that sag of potatoes the next time he publishes plagiarized material again?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes it seems like the Codex is akin to Fallout's Vault Dweller: after long years in the desert saving RPGs from corruption into stupid, sterile giants, the Codex hopes to enjoy the years of peace and comfort, only to find that no one else can accept the harsh character that the years of struggle required. Time to go build a Temple of Trials, I guess.
I really like this description.
Yeah this is a great fucking quote.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's pretty easy to steer clear of GD/Politics if one wants to avoid the most "offensive" stuff. And the fact that they are only open to longer-time members and patrons (a good move imo) means casual readers and lurkers don't even encounter them.

The freedom to say almost anything without being censored does seem to attract a certain breed of troll but also results in interesting and open discussions. I find reading other gaming forums pretty painful in comparison, with loads of passive-aggressive insults and slights festering under the partial eye of the moderators. It sometimes seems there is far more actual hatred on sites like that where people can't just say what they really mean and are always measuring each other against the standard for "acceptable" behaviour.
No, doesn't ring true to me.
I don't really think self-censoring ones language makes for less interesting discussions. In fact the most interesting discussions here are the ones between quite moderate and even polite contributors who are not too full of themselves to try to understand the points the opposite side wants to make. And the ones without or with less memes and quick retorts. If you're out of interesting things you can discuss without calling others names it's time for picking up a new hobby because this one seems to bore you, not time to make up shitty shitstorms and nitpicking Early Access games til nothing is left to look forward to.
The usual discussion here - and this isn't even a Codex problem but an Internet problem in general - is full of quick and dirty jokes, memes and ridicule and trying to pick apart what the other guy wrote by shredding their posts into pieces and eagerly trying to ridicule them because only then you win the internet. Which makes for fun reads so I won't complain but take away the less offensive members here and you have nothing but lulz, faggotry (brofisting? and what's up with that whole ridiculous "we're gamers, we're hardcore and we're bros" attitude anyway?) and a place to mindlessly talk trash and blow off steam.
:mob:

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Well shit, I'm staff and I wasn't far away. That teaches me to disappear from the Codex for a few months I guess.

Of course, I probably wouldn't have had time to make an especially good writeup, so things probably ended up better for the Codex this way.

Weasel
faggotry (brofisting? and what's up with that whole ridiculous "we're gamers, we're hardcore and we're bros" attitude anyway?)

If you think the site would be better with stricter moderation then fair enough, guess we'll just have to disagree as from what I've seen on other sites the cure is worse than the 'disease' and it's a slippery slope to a shit forum. I find it easy to filter out the noise and there are more actual interesting posts here than on other sites imo (and can't deny that I've had some good laughs over the years too).

You really bothered by the whole "bros" thing? I always took that as irony given how many of us are geeky spergs who've probably never dreamed of brofisting someone IRL. Whether it's a good idea to have a "like" function for posts is a different debate entirely.

Think I'll leave it at that so the thread can get back to discussing the Wasteland party and PE bugs.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Well shit, I'm staff and I wasn't far away. That teaches me to disappear from the Codex for a few months I guess.

Mistakes were made.

p.s. I unironically brofist bros in real life all the time.

p.p.s. That this place is humorously disgusting (either endearingly or not) to anybody with a healthy social life and worldview eliciting surprise from anyone here is hilarious in its lack of self-awareness.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
faggotry (brofisting? and what's up with that whole ridiculous "we're gamers, we're hardcore and we're bros" attitude anyway?)

If you think the site would be better with stricter moderation then fair enough, guess we'll just have to disagree as from what I've seen on other sites the cure is worse than the 'disease' and it's a slippery slope to a shit forum. I find it easy to filter out the noise and there are more actual interesting posts here than on other sites imo (and can't deny that I've had some good laughs over the years too).

You really bothered by the whole "bros" thing? I always took that as irony given how many of us are geeky spergs who've probably never dreamed of brofisting someone IRL. Whether it's a good idea to have a "like" function for posts is a different debate entirely.

Think I'll leave it at that so the thread can get back to discussing the Wasteland party and PE bugs.
You're right and I'll make it short.
No, I'm not bothered by the bros thing, not the least. It's fun if you take it ironically. And I agree with the rest of what you wrote, it is a slippery slope and it's very easy for wannabe dictator mods and admins to censor opinions they don't like under the disguise of keeping a forum family-friendly.
So yeah, Codex is great, wouldn't wanna miss it. But I still stand to what I wrote, people who are not eager to ridicule everyone who disagrees with them make for far more interesting discussions. There are certain posters whose posts I really look forward to read, no matter the topic. And there are trolls. An army of trolls. And they are fun. And manchildren who can't for the sake of their live keep calm and get butthurt or condescending all the time. These are not fun, they can go kill themselves.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice writeup, Bydanielmiller and especially MRY - it was a pleasant surprise to learn that you were the Codex representative to the party. The only guy I would prefer instead is probably me. ;)

So jealous...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom