Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Retrospective Interview: Warren Spector on Ultima, Origin, and CRPG Design

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
A great interview with a great guy. My favorite part was
my impression at the time was that the Ultima guys had a bit of "Commander envy" – as in Wing Commander and Strike Commander envy. Chris's games had managed to reach a broader audience than anything Origin had done to date and I think U8 was an attempt to go after a broader audience.
I mean I never really thought that Wing Commander affected Origin so, but now it makes sense. I always thought U8 was more due to EA influence, and I guess, it finally cements that Origin shot themselves in the foot after all.

Those older generation designers sure seem to love their simulationism and/or MMORPGs, and thus, ironically, are apologists of the decline. Sad thing, this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well Zed, Spector's RPGs were always more like "adventure games with stats" anyway.

If his design philosophy was truly always "linear games, with freedom in each level" (which I'm not sure that it was, he may be doing a bit of post-hoc rationalizing here) then first person games are probably a better fit for him.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Ultima 7 was cool and huge, but it WAS a lot more streamlined.

I feel that, when Spector says "story", that's what he means: the previous Ultimas allowed you to go where you wanted, when you wanted, and the "story" suffered a bit for this.
Serpent's Isle was a lot more linear, which DID, no doubt, allow you to follow the story better, but it was also a bit of a turndown for me. I've always loved the open-world aspect of Ultimas.

Heh, at least that's what i think, when did that game come out? 15? 20 years ago?
wow, i'm old...

Bit puzzled here since, listening to his talk, he might be taken as a designer of Valve games such as HLs and Portals, in which the designers have total control on stories while offering the players tools to deal with the given environments.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bit puzzled here since, listening to his talk, he might be taken as a designer of Valve games such as HLs and Portals, in which the designers have total control on stories while offering the players tools to deal with the given environments.

There's typically only one way to progress through the environment in Half Life though.

I was thinking of something like the gravity gun but I guess you are basically right. In any case, the interview left me confused. If what he described here was what he has wanted to make, why did it scare off publishers in the first place? I mean, look at Ken Levine. As one of his ex-colleagues, he is surely aware of BioShocks and their commercial successes, isn't he?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does he sound like the producer of a game such a Thief? Or maybe Deus Ex?

At least, the modernized version of Deus Ex seems to be doing fine while the new "Thief" remains to be seen. So, actually, I have no idea why he had problems with publishers. What publishers had problems were stat-based isometric RPGs but how much is he related to them? The story part might be sympathized but, then again, as long as the gameplays are popular and games sell well, publishers don't seem to care, either. I understand why Interplay had problems but, why Ion Storm-at least, at the basic concept or pitch level?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think Ion Storm went under because of the Romero division. I think Specter's team was profitable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think Ion Storm went under because of the Romero division. I think Specter's team was profitable.

It's not that simple. Ion Storm Dallas (Romero) and Ion Storm Austin (Spector) were run as two separate companies. The former was shut down all the way back in 2001, after the release of Anachronox. Ion Storm Austin endured until 2005, although the important staff including Spector had already left by 2004 as the company "winded down".

It's not clear to me why Eidos decided to shut Austin down instead of giving them new projects after Invisible War and Deadly Shadows. Perhaps they thought Spector-style "immersive sims" simply weren't a "contemporary" genre.

At least, the modernized version of Deus Ex seems to be doing fine while the new "Thief" remains to be seen. So, actually, I have no idea why he had problems with publishers. What publishers had problems were stat-based isometric RPGs but how much is he related to them? The story part might be sympathized but, then again, as long as the gameplays are popular and games sell well, publishers don't seem to care, either. I understand why Interplay had problems but, why Ion Storm-at least, at the basic concept or pitch level?

What problems with publishers are you talking about? In the interview he was talking about his experiences with publishers in the mid-90s when he worked at Origin, when he tried to pitch CRPGs like Arthurian Legends.

I'm sure Spector could have landed another first person shooter project in the 2000s if he wanted to. But he didn't.

Last edited:
It's just I always imagine him related with the first person video games-even Ultima Underworld, which made the question from the interviewee feel rather abrupt.

mondblut

Arcane
Yet another case of "you don't need those silly stats anymore, you can bash doors down with your Wii Remote". Next.

Deleted member 11480

The thing is, why do we play these games anyway? Are we looking for hyper realistic simulations of forces and general physics, or fun sets of rules and mechanics to play with? The "loose but realistic" content (at least not in this context) is simply never as fun as a great and solid ruleset, and this is true from chess to JA2 to Europa Universalis.

Thrasher

Erudite
Yes, well that's the gamist point of view (to which I subscribe as well). Some people like simulations or stories / NPC development more. I like a mix of all, but prefer a choice that leads to better gameplay if there's a choice to be made.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good interview. Of games created by WS I have only played the original Deus Ex (which reminds me I should probably finish my playthrough), but it was still an interesting read. I am also curious what his next project will be.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another recent interview about his design philosophy. Questions are from 1st year MFA student of NYU Game Center.

Q: In the past you have talked a lot about how games should always be a series of conversations between the designer and the player. You've mentioned several times the importance of asking the right questions, of creating dramatic Yes / No moments for the players. How do you create meaningful conversations in games? What are your priorities when designing these segments?

A: First, let me clarify that I wasn't talking about conversations between player avatars and in-game NPCs. I meant that games can allow me - the designer - to engage in a conversation of sorts with you - with each individual player. It's a virtual dialogue, not a literal one.

In that sense, the way I approach the development of a game is to insist that my designers not force players down a single path and never, never to judge players for the path they choose to take through the game.

In other words, you create problems for players, give them as many tools as you can reasonable provide that might prove useful and get out of the way to see how players use those tools - singly or in combinations, in ways the designer anticipated and ways he or she didn't - to solve the designer-created problem.

Then game systems track how the player dealt with the problem and the simulation changes in some way - a way that's visible to players - to give the player a new problem or set of problems to solve.

The key to making the "conversation" between designer and player meaningful is to give players a real voice, some real power to affect the unfolding storyline and that's where nonjudgmental design comes in. If a designer creates a problem with a right/good/correct solution and a wrong/bad/incorrect solution, the choice was false, the player's action meaningless and the dialogue between the two parties was just a waste of time and effort all around.

Q: Game difficulty is a very recurrent topic nowadays that can make or break a game. How do you handle player rewards without overpowering the player and breaking the game? In what forms do you escalate difficulty?

A: I've always felt that "difficulty" per se wasn't a very interesting thing to track and adjust. If your game is nothing more than a test of skill then, sure, measure and adjust difficulty on the fly (or, at least, build in some escalation of difficulty as the game goes on). We all ramp difficulty to some extent in skill-based games - I mean, as players get better, challenging them becomes harder so the game has to get harder.

But I have two thoughts about difficulty - one is, if you offer just a single way to solve a puzzle, then difficulty really is a factor. If you're not good enough to overcome a challenge or smart enough to solve a puzzle, you're stuck. You might as well just stop playing the game before it becomes en exercise in controller-hurling frustration. But if you make a game where every problem can be solved in a variety of ways, when one solution proves too difficult, you can just try something else. Speaking personally, I suck at driving in games like GTA, which means I'm just no good at the game. In, if I may, Deus Ex, you're not a very good shot, try not shooting... do something else... find another way... keep playing.

So that's one thought about difficulty. The other thing I've been thinking a lot about lately is how skill-driven games are and the implication that has for design. Playing through Walking Dead and Heavy Rain I was struck by how little skill they required and yet how compelling their seemingly interactive stories were. Setting up situations that are ethically and morally challenging rather than challenging skill - in other word, games that exercise the muscle between your ears rather than the muscles that govern your ability to mash buttons and move joysticks... that seems like a more interesting space to play in - as a designer and as a player. The difficulty should be "what's the right thing to do here?" not "am I good enough to do this thing?" Not enough games ask what I'm beginning to believe are the right kinds of questions. Difficulty isn't much of an issue once you start asking a different set of questions.

Q: You are one of the most recognized figures in game development and a veteran in video game design. Since you have seen this medium change and evolve from its early years to what it is today, do you think we, as game creators, have a responsibility with society? And if so, what is it?

A: I don't want to speak for all developers, so I'm not going to say "game creators have no responsibility to society"or that we all do. All I'll say is that I've always felt a responsibility, first, to be true to what I believed to be important - I've always wanted the games I've worked on to say something about the world we live in and offer players the opportunity to experience things in-game that might inform their experience of the real world. Speaking personally, then, I think anyone working in any creative medium has a responsibility to society - not to coarsen it... to contribute positively to it... and so on. But there are a lot of ways to do that - as many as there are people making games, I bet.

My pet peeve about the games business - or creators of games, I guess I should say - is how few people bother to think about anything other than making some money or doing something badass or outdoing the competition in some way. Most game developers don't even bother to ask themselves the question whether they have an impact on or a responsibilty to society. "We're just making games..." "It's just entertainment..." "Don't take yourself so seriously..." That kind of attitude drives me nuts.

It's okay - stupid, but okay - to decide you have no responsibility to the millions of people who might play your game (other than to distract them for a few hours) but at least decide that. And to do that you have to think about what your work means and how it fits into a larger cultural context. I'd love it if more developers did that openly and publicly - or at all.

Apparently, he will lecture on Choices & Consequence at NYU's game design conference.

Choices Have Consequence: Creating the Immersive Simulation
Warren Spector
Most designers focus - to the detriment of their games and their players - on choice, rather than on consequence. How much player choice is too much? And why does choice even matter? This talk will look at the crucial game design tool of choices and consequence, as a way of understanding how we create meaningful moments for players in games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom