Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity - By Vault Dweller and the Spirit of Grunker

Telengard

Arcane
Difficulty settings should just die. No more tweaking the game without modding. If you're not good enough to play the one version as is, then you don't finish. Or you learn to mod.

Stop having multiple versions that have to made and playtested and tweaked, and let devs concentrate on making one good experience, instead of the mess that is a bunch of tweak-to-mediocrity versions.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You're assuming that developers would design their games to be quite difficult.

They will not, and never will again outside of indie niche titles and Japanese games, because easier difficulty settings suit the vast majority of Westerners. This was true even in the 1980s and 1990s, when the Western versions of Japanese video games were often altered to be easier than their Japanese counterparts.

Those console gamers for whom the Japanese dumbed down their games are now also the majority of PC players, including Obsidrones and so on.

You might as well wish for Arcanum 2 or True Fallout 3.

Last edited:
I remember the days when I had to play Diablo on normal. I never got to finish it but I had a lot of fun even with a lot of deaths. Diablo 2 was way easier on normal because I manage to finish it several times. Grim Dawn is challenging tho....
this is an anti-thesis of what fun in an RPG is supposed to be about (or in an FPS for that matter)

Difficulty settings should just die. No more tweaking the game without modding. If you're not good enough to play the one version as is, then you don't finish. Or you learn to mod.

Stop having multiple versions that have to made and playtested and tweaked, and let devs concentrate on making one good experience, instead of the mess that is a bunch of tweak-to-mediocrity versions.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember playing IL-2 Sturmovik and you had options to alter every little bit of the game. You could play it as a realistic simulator or arcade action game, to me thats great way to allow players to alter their experience. One good example is also some mods for Mount and Blade which allow large amount of customization of gameplay by the player.

I take New Vegas as a good example of a game where devs completely failed to make good enough difference in experience based of difficulty setting. I played the game on Hardcore and on highest difficulty and still found the game to be piss easy. Its sad that I need mods to make the game remotely challenging.

So I dont see a reason why devs cant add custom difficulty to allow players to alter the game for their own preference.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember playing IL-2 Sturmovik and you had options to alter every little bit of the game. You could play it as a realistic simulator or arcade action game, to me thats great way to allow players to alter their experience. One good example is also some mods for Mount and Blade which allow large amount of customization of gameplay by the player.

I take New Vegas as a good example of a game where devs completely failed to make good enough difference in experience based of difficulty setting. I played the game on Hardcore and on highest difficulty and still found the game to be piss easy. Its sad that I need mods to make the game remotely challenging.

So I dont see a reason why devs cant add custom difficulty to allow players to alter the game for their own preference.

Do you believe for a second that Bethesda would have allowed obsidian to make fallout NV challenging?

I do believe that very large part of Bethesda is either incompetent or simply dont care what they do. Many of new generation of developers are no different from new gamers in a way that they dont like challenge. If you let them make only one difficulty level they would produce very easy games. Part because they want to make the game more accessible to larger audience and part because they dont know who to make challenging game beside giving HP bloat to enemies.

Now in case of New Vegas, there is already several difficulty levels and highest ones proved to be difficult to part of Bethesda core audience (based on comments on Beth forum I saw ages ago) and Im sure its impossible to game journalists that are unable to pass opening rat cave of Fallout 1. To me on the other hand game was easy, but I dont think Im what majority thinks.

Thats why I would like for developers to expand difficultly settings by adding custom options. As I said, I fail to see how anyone would have a problem with it since It would allow players to shape the game for their liking.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Aint gonna sell 5+ million copies unless the game is a cakewalk

Bethesda can wrap shit in tinfoil and it will sell 5+ million copies.

Just recently one publisher passed on a game saying its too hard and because of that it wont sell, that was Dark Souls.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
That's factually incorrect. You may be thinking of Demon's Souls, but Demon's Souls wasnt rejected over difficulty.

Edit: http://gamerant.com/sony-demons-souls-japan-mole-132811/

Basically, the first build was complete and utter unplayable shit.

Yeah you are right I always confuse the two. As for article I might be wrong but I think I read that game was rejected for difficulty and everything else was just excuses to cover publisher mistake. But seeing how I confused the titles I might just have faulty memory.

Delbaeth

Learned
Well, I still haven't played PoE, but if it is as 'good' as SRR (other than the TB vs RTwP thing), I could hope that future games will be as good as Dragonfall. But, honestly, with the expansion cut in two, I am afraid it won't, or at least, not until a proper new game will appear.
I don't know what to think atm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom