Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Serpent in the Staglands

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What the fuck are you talking about?

Mustawd

As was stated before, the combat is pretty weak in this game. I wouldn't call it unplayable because the other things it does well make up for it. I will say that I'm disappointed this thing didn't get the polish it needed. Whether that was bug crushing or adding in those bits that would bring the game together better, like Deuce Traveler mentioned. Truly it is a flawed gem in my book.

Thanks again for the review Deuce Traveler !

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

Jazz_

Arcane
This game has quite literally the worst and most simplistic combat I have ever seen in a rpg, it ruins the whole experience for me, shame as it's got a great atmosphere and a nice art style.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Pretty good for a first release by two actual indie devs. The combat really does suck, and I found the pixel art drab and grating at the same time. I didn't even finish the demo. But.. it impressed me enough to wonder what they'll do next.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They say that if you log onto the Codex at just the right hour, you might be able to observe his ghost haunting the Shoutbox.

ushas

Savant
Thanks for the review.:salute:

Deuce Traveler said:
This is going to sound odd, but my favorite aspect of Serpent in the Staglands is how it treats the player like an intelligent human being. You won't find a 30 minute tutorial explaining how to walk, manipulate items, or fight in this game. You will have to read the huge and detailed manual, and most likely consult it several times while you play, in order to understand its arcane user interface.
Looking forward to.

Deuce Traveler said:
Yet the game weighed the balance against me because my good intentions weren't recognized by its arbitrary moral compass. Serpent in the Staglands manipulates you into performing horrible actions and then accuses you of wrongdoing even when you never intended any harm.
I understand the thinking behind this narrative decision, but the game takes away too much of your free will as a player, forcing you to play an immortal with a long history, and making you act in a certain way at the end even if you never envisioned your character acting in such a manner.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
(sorry, it was too tempting)

In the review this sounds like a criticism, but for me that's actually intriguing. The premise conveys very strong message. If that was intended, keeping players in dark might be a sort of requirement for that. Trying to understand and adapt the game's moral system if one wishes to become Stagland's Avatar can also be part of the equation. Games are often making it too easy for players to choose to be 'good' (or 'bad') and to be recognized as such.

And yeah, I know it can be done poorly and I have yet to play the game. However, I would rather be challenged and disappointed by an imperfect attempt to make me think out of the box, than mindlessly experience the same engineered safespace over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

gaussgunner

Arcane
In the review this sounds like a criticism, but for me that's actually intriguing. The premise conveys very strong message. If that was intended, keeping players in dark might be a sort of requirement for that. Trying to understand and adapt the game's moral system if one wishes to become Stagland's Avatar can also be part of the equation. Games are often making it too easy for players to choose to be 'good' (or 'bad') and to be recognized as such.
I'm down with that, assuming the game has a moral system that isn't too arbitrary. DT did say Staglands takes it too far, is too arbitrary, and tries to judge all your actions in the endgame. There's no need for that. Sure, list all my deeds at the end, but let me decide whether my character was a conqueror or a mass murderer or whatever. Hopefully they drop the "morality engine" in future games and come up with a decent combat system instead.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Sure, list all my deeds at the end, but let me decide whether my character was a conqueror or a mass murderer or whatever.
That worlbuilding, or setting a stage - whatever, - is what I call "world spin around ass of chosen one". Zero believability, pure, concentrated staged world, scene.
World, that live an independent life is who decide who is your character, not you, just like it happens irl.

Maybe that was the point of Whalenought?

gaussgunner

Arcane
In the real world people judge you, yes. In the Staglands world you're the only intelligent human. It's a software program judging you like a multiple choice test. Where's the value in that?

ushas

Savant
That worlbuilding, or setting a stage - whatever, - is what I call "world spin around ass of chosen one". Zero believability, pure, concentrated staged world, scene.
World, that live an independent life is who decide who is your character, not you, just like it happens irl.

Maybe that was the point of Whalenought?
You nailed that better than me. Maybe they intended that or not. I'm yet to experience the result, but from the review I got the feeling that this could be refreshing.

As for arbitrary and not bulletproof feel of abstracted moral systems, I dunno, sometimes it can lead to unique experiments (Ultima IV+V...) (not easy task to ask for confidence for sure)

In the real world people judge you, yes. In the Staglands world you're the only intelligent human. It's a software program judging you like a multiple choice test.
Made by other humans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom