Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Novigrad itself is best designed city imo in rpgs.
Visually, yes. It feels very life-like, almost like walking around Danzig. Content-wise it's abysmal. Cutscene upon cutscene interspersed with mindless busywork, the whole Jaskier/theater theme that just keeps going on and on until you scream at the screen NO MORE OF THIS SHIT

is this that song in the burlesque-ish club you're mentioning? I actually really liked it -except- that apparently they couldn't cut from one shot to another without an awkward pause, so it didn't feel like a "connected" song. that was a big flaw. it had one of my favorite moments in the entire game, though: that guard walking past outside the window and then walking back to do a slow double-take and watch the singer. it might be the single most creative use of camera and animation I've ever seen in a video game. not a high bar, but it's always great when games treat visual storytelling as important. have you ever seen a character walk backwards to verify what he'd seen in a game before? I can't think of a case. walking backwards is usually limited to multiplayer models and bugs.
I think he means all the dandelion quests. They sure went out of their way to make dandelion and everything involving him to be obnoxious as fuck. Including those loading screen recaps that drive you insane, I've never seen better punishment for reloading

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I think he means all the dandelion quests. They sure went out of their way to make dandelion and everything involving him to be obnoxious as fuck. Including those loading screen recaps that drive you insane, I've never seen better punishment for reloading

I may be dumb as shit, but I actually thought the narrator was the other witcher you start the game with until you get to the godling/oneiromancer in the city who make(s) the narrator refer to himself by name. I really don't mind the quests so far, and, well...loading screen recaps are what they are. they obviously imparted at least "narrator = Dandelion" information to me. yes, I'd rather they weren't there, too, but I came down off Bloodborne before playing W3, so no load time seems barbaric to me.

plus I listen to audiobooks and use global play/pause hotkeys, so I can glaze over for travel times and load times. I'd recommend it to anyone.

made

Arcane
Novigrad itself is best designed city imo in rpgs.
Visually, yes. It feels very life-like, almost like walking around Danzig. Content-wise it's abysmal. Cutscene upon cutscene interspersed with mindless busywork, the whole Jaskier/theater theme that just keeps going on and on until you scream at the screen NO MORE OF THIS SHIT

is this that song in the burlesque-ish club you're mentioning? I actually really liked it -except- that apparently they couldn't cut from one shot to another without an awkward pause, so it didn't feel like a "connected" song. that was a big flaw. it had one of my favorite moments in the entire game, though: that guard walking past outside the window and then walking back to do a slow double-take and watch the singer. it might be the single most creative use of camera and animation I've ever seen in a video game. not a high bar, but it's always great when games treat visual storytelling as important. have you ever seen a character walk backwards to verify what he'd seen in a game before? I can't think of a case. walking backwards is usually limited to multiplayer models and bugs.
Ah, yes. The famous Priscilla scene. I understand people loved it, and while it didn't touch my tralala I agree that it was well-directed (the guard you mention is actually Dijkstra, iirc). The problem is, there's just too many of these cutscenes strung together without any gameplay to speak of which cheapens the impact of each one of them. Way I see it, cutscenes should be used sparingly and intelligently for dramatic effect. In TW3 just like TW2 before it, it feels like cutscenes are the meat the the game. Sometimes you sit there for half an hour at a time just watching events unfold with minimal input on your part - maybe you get to pick between dialogue choice A or B now and then, but most of the time you just watch instead of actively playing and shaping the events.

Vadio

Scholar
This game has no PoC. And since I'm in a good mood I'll give it a 2/10.

This game should also probably be banned.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

I may be dumb as shit, but I actually thought the narrator was the other witcher you start the game with until you get to the godling/oneiromancer in the city who make(s) the narrator refer to himself by name. I really don't mind the quests so far, and, well...loading screen recaps are what they are. they obviously imparted at least "narrator = Dandelion" information to me. yes, I'd rather they weren't there, too, but I came down off Bloodborne before playing W3, so no load time seems barbaric to me.

plus I listen to audiobooks and use global play/pause hotkeys, so I can glaze over for travel times and load times. I'd recommend it to anyone.
I thought it was Vesimir until that point too. Anyway, I wish they would allow me to make it shut the fuck up

Angthoron

Arcane
Good review Angthoron . It's causing way too little butthurt, though. I'm disappoint.
Well it's still early in the day, and it's weekend.

I thought it was Vesimir until that point too. Anyway, I wish they would allow me to make it shut the fuck up
I succeeded to turn off the narrator at load sometimes by mashing space bar, but it seems it doesn't always detect the button-mashing. Or maybe it was just random, I don't know. It would be a good option to turn it off though, I agree.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I succeeded to turn off the narrator at load sometimes by mashing space bar, but it seems it doesn't always detect the button-mashing. Or maybe it was just random, I don't know. It would be a good option to turn it off though, I agree.
If you press/mash (not sure since I always lose patience) spacebar, it will get you in as soon as it's done loading.

Angthoron

Arcane
If you press/mash (not sure since I always lose patience) spacebar, it will get you in as soon as it's done loading.
Do you play on SSD? I have TW3 on a normal HDD, and interestingly enough the load end time usually coincides with the end of the narration, give or take half a second.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Do you play on SSD? I have TW3 on a normal HDD, and interestingly enough the load end time usually coincides with the end of the narration, give or take half a second.
Nah, I have one but twitch3r is installed on a 7200 RPM HDD. After a cold boot the first loading screen takes a while, but subsequents one are always faster than the narration

Or simply grab the mod to disable the narration if it bothers you that much.
Oh but I like listening it the first time. It just get tiring to hear the same recap a billion times, it should just repeat if you spent considerable time without playing or something

Angthoron

Arcane
Nah, I have one but twitch3r is installed on a 7200 RPM HDD. After a cold boot the first loading screen takes a while, but subsequents one are always faster than the narration
Ah, same here.

Or simply grab the mod to disable the narration if it bothers you that much.
Oh but I like listening it the first time. It just get tiring to hear the same recap a billion times, it should just do it after you spent considerable time without playing or something
I think at some point after launch the loads actually behaved that way for me. One load with recap, then subsequent ones being "naked" loading screens. Then after some patch it changed to every loading screen being a recap. Not sure which was intended.

Paul_cz

Arcane
If you die, and press load latest save, then there will be no recap.
If you load manually from list of saves, there will always be recap.
For me I could always skip the recap halfway through once it was finished loading.
I agree it would be nice to have an option to see recap once, and then have it disabled.

A bit hyperbolic in the whine against controls, maybe.
Sure, there are issues (like an excessive inertia in some basic movements), but the improvement from the previous games is remarkable.

Also, I stand to my position that the core combat mechanics this time are actually surprisingly good (especially coming from the half-assed combat in the second game and the god-awful one in the first; I spent more or less two years thinking "it will problaby be garbage once again but I'm in for the rest" and it turned out the combat is now actually one of the things I enjoy the most in the game).

There are issues that need to be solved, in part with the overall balance (even on DM the game turns quite easy after you start to pile up some levels and talents) and especially with enemies going full dumb as you get out of their "range of engagement", which is often unacceptably close to where you start to fight them... But should they ever address these problems, the core of the combat works surprisingly well. I'd argue that barring the usual notable outliers (Souls games, etc) it's probably one of the best combat systems I played in an action RPG, mixing quite well fluidity and flow with a reasonable degree of verisimilitude (in context, at least).

Strangely enough what's probably my main complaint about the game, an annoyingly over-bloated loot system/itemization, was not addressed by the review at all.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Witcher 3 is a bit of a mixed bag. Weak in its gameplay yet surprisingly strong as a story and a game world"

Oh, you mean like Planescape: Torment? The number one game in the Codex RPG chart of all time?

There are some vitriolic motherfuckers around here that want to look edgy and bash things just for the sake of it and believe in their narrow mind that this makes them oldschool and true defenders of good RPG making.

And when you draw the line and take things at really face value,
Witcher 3 is a better game than Divinity: Original Sin with all it's "truee rRpeegiiee!!" mechanics.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
A bit hyperbolic in the whine against controls, maybe.
Sure, there are issues (like an excessive inertia in some basic movements), but the improvement from the previous games is remarkable.

Also, I stand to my position that the core combat mechanics this time are actually surprisingly good (especially coming from the half-assed combat in the second game and the god-awful one in the first; I spent more or less two years thinking "it will problaby be garbage once again but I'm in for the rest" and it turned out the combat is now actually one of the things I enjoy the most in the game).

The main thing that pisses me off in combat is that it seems to have some sort of smart targeting or whatever, not sure how to describe. But instead of attacking in the direction he's facing, Geralt will always try to focus on a target in that general direction, sometimes putting you in a vulnerable position during group fights because of the wild attack animations

Angthoron mentioned it in the review

Last edited:

Tadek Boruta

Novice
How is pacing handled compared to the first Witcher? Do talk to NPC A then go talk to NPC B traversing huge distance with nothing in between, just to hear you have to talk to NPC A again is still present? Can't get past swamp area in first game. It just gets too boring. Is it handled better this time? Maybe it's time to upgrade PC for this.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The people who complain that Baron storyline is the highpoint of the game - it is not. The rest of the game is also written to similarly high quality. But it does not all deal with such heavy themes, so of course it will not hit "teh feelz" as hard as Baron did. But there is shitload to enjoy in every part of the game.

I guess you really enjoy shitloads ;)

How is pacing handled compared to the first Witcher? Do talk to NPC A then go talk to NPC B traversing huge distance with nothing in between, just to hear you have to talk to NPC A again is still present? Can't get past swamp area in first game. It just gets too boring. Is it handled better this time? Maybe it's time to upgrade PC for this.

Q1: It's open world therefore you impose the pacing of the story.
Q2: Mostly when returning to cash-in on quests.
Q3: The swamp area is lovely this time.

The main thing that pisses me off in combat is that it seems to have some sort of smart targeting or whatever, not sure how to describe. But instead of attacking in the direction he's facing, Geralt will always try to focus on a target in that general direction, sometimes putting you in a vulnerable position during group fights because of the wild attack animations

Angthoron mentioned it in the review
Yeah, I read the review and I can't say I particularly agree on that.
I've seen other people mention this "issue" but I never suffered it myself. I'm (almost) always successfully targeting what I'm hoping to target.
Then again, I always try to fight in a "calm" and deliberate way (you know, planning moves, dodging only when I actually need it instead of rolling around randomly, that kind of stuff...) and from what I gathered reading feedback around it seems this problem tends to be a consequence of people spamming fast attacks frantically.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The RPG mechanics just don't matter, that's the problem. No matter how you allocate your stats, it's still swish, swish, swish, Sign, swish, swish, swish. All the fights go the same way. At least in TW1 putting a pip into a tree got you a new move and you had to pay a little attention to the rhythm and sound to get it right. There was some feel of progression and your character-building choices making a difference. With TW3, nothing really changes.
Unlocking alternative modes for all signs? Gaining access to special attacks like Whirl or Rend? Being able to use cluster bombs? Using Adrenaline Points as an extension of Stamina and/or Vitality, or to increase damage? Being able to imbibe several powerful decoctions at once? Upgrading your potions and oils to have a much longer duration, five times the effectiveness of their base versions and possible other special effects? Multiplying your sign intensity or attack power with the right combination of abilities, mutagens and gear? I'd say there's a pretty clear sense of progression there.

CDPR clearly tried to make different enemies more distinct this time and make the combat more varied. There are some clever uses for signs, for example: using Axii on an alghoul to make it hide its spikes or a wolf to make it leave you alone, using Aard to put out fires (useful against fire elementals) or bring down flying opponents, using Yrden to trap incorporeal creatures, having Igni melt armor or send forth a continuous stream of fire rather than a projectile, and so on. Flying enemies require you to use Aard or a crossbow to knock them out of the sky, fiends can hypnotize you and severely impair your vision, wraiths can teleport around while also being incorporeal most of the time unless you use the appropriate sign or bomb, nekkers can be stunlocked while drowners can't, water hags will throw shit on your face and stun you, wolves always attack you in packs while bears are usually alone and use their size to run directly at you and possibly knock you down, arachasae are poisonous and can root you to your spot by spitting web-like stuff at you, sirens will start destroying your boat if you encounter them on sea, endgregas try to hit you with their long-reaching tail that you need to get around, getting close to a fire elemental without fire protection will get you burned...

In some ways it's a success, and different fights and builds may actually play in quite different ways. However, it's somewhat diminished by the fact that the enemy variety indeed leaves something to be desired, as certain enemy types are so prevalent and have a very wide level range, whereas some enemies only appear rarely, or only provide a challenge if you happen to encounter them when they're close to your level. Drowners, for instance, remain worthy opponents almost through the entire game, starting from around level 4 and ending up in the high 20's, but many of the more interesting enemy types have a much smaller range (not that it's in itself a bad thing) and become trivial pretty soon after you're able to finally kill them. A flatter power curve and the removal of the current level-based damage reduction system might've improved the combat a lot by keeping even lower-level mobs dangerous throughout the game and allowing you to get rid of stuff like level 22 ghouls altogether.

In some ways it's a success, and different fights and builds may actually play in quite different ways. However, it's somewhat diminished by the fact that the enemy variety indeed leaves something to be desired, as certain enemy types are so prevalent and have a very wide level range, whereas some enemies only appear rarely, or only provide a challenge if you happen to encounter them when they're close to your level. Drowners, for instance, remain worthy opponents almost through the entire game, starting from around level 4 and ending up in the high 20's, but many of the more interesting enemy types have a much smaller range (not that it's in itself a bad thing) and become trivial pretty soon after you're able to finally kill them. A flatter power curve and the removal of the current level-based damage reduction system might've improved the combat a lot by keeping even lower-level mobs dangerous throughout the game and allowing you to get rid of stuff like level 22 ghouls altogether.
I already argued in the past (in the official forum as elsewhere) that all things considered this game wouldn't have lost anything of value (and maybe even gained a lot) getting rid of its level based mechanics entirely.

Even the main character progression could easily sustain only on talent points+mutagens+equipment. Hell, it would maybe even help to alleviate that sense of becoming so insanely overpowered in the late game.
Then again, in that scenario I could easily see a lot of wannabe purists crying even more about about "consolization" and "notactualtruegenuineRPG".

My fiancee wants an IRL Gwent.
I'ts a very fun and engaging minigame. It's also entirely imbalanced, reliant on the collector's aspect and in its current state it would work terribly as a stand-alone game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom