Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Undertale

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hating Undertale without playing it: the latest meme.

Yes because hating games without playing them is something that started on Codex with Undertale.
Not really, hating Undertale started on 4chan, and some Codexers just started riding the meme train.

Well I dont visit 4chan and I dont know about any memes, but what I do know is that I spend 3 minutes watching the gameplay of Undertale on youtube.

After 1 minute I thought of stabbing myself in the eye.

After 2 minutes I looked at pink background and thought that that color would be just perfect for my hair.

After 3 minutes I thought this is not so bad and actually quite cool just like fedora.

Luckily I snapped out of it and went to play some Blood to calm myself.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
trying to convince a forum full of people who are highly critical/skeptical of this game for being a memefest with lolsoquirky humor

Is that actually the case? On a forum that's notoriously replete with memes of its own? The more immediate assumption would be that people are critical of it for being a JRPG with cutesy 8-bit graphics, regardless of memes.

In fact, given a cutesy 8-bit JRPG, the addition of irony and memes might make it better for most Codexers, not worse, what with their occasional brutality and their Avellone-esque genre subversion potential.

Shitposting on a forum is a bit different from Shitposting: The Game, though.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
Undertale is a meme game.
Liking it is a meme.
Disliking it is a meme.
Any praise is a meme.
Any critique is a meme.

You cannot escape it.

Archibald

Arcane
Referring to the publicity and store placement, of course. I wish people were talking about and promoting good games. In fact I had never heard of this shit until I saw it on the front page of Steam a couple days ago... what if Underrail had been in that slot instead?

And lol @ whoever called me a commie -- you can love the free market and still hold the belief that popularity doesn't automatically mean quality.

Undertale is lighter than Underrail. Lighter stuff tends to sell more and as such is likely to get more advertising due to higher returns. Besides, its not like Codex is pushing it over Underrail. I mean, should Codex stop publishing reviews/posting news till someone writes Underrail review? Not going to happen.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Undertale is lighter than Underrail. Lighter stuff tends to sell more and as such is likely to get more advertising due to higher returns.
Unfortunately I have to agree about lighter stuff. Hardcore games are dying, and it looks like it makes no sense making them when stuff like that sells so much more than AoD, Underrail and other cool games. And most likely, we won't be making hard games anymore, it doesn't pay off.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ouch. Seems like it's not a happy new year for you, Alex.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Total bullshit, niche grand strategy games, flight simulators, difficult SHMUPS and challenging action games still sell relatively well. Dark Souls even made it into a blockbuster, and even Bayonetta manages to pull respectable sales figures. It's not about the difficulty; it's about the quality of your product - and its creativity.

There's literally no reason for me to replay Fallout 2.0 when I can just play the superior Fallout. Give me something new and creative.

These little 'hardcore' indie RPGs aren't selling well because they feel soulless, loveless. Which is amazing, considering how long so many of you worked on them. Maybe you just don't have what it takes.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Total bullshit, niche grand strategy games, flight simulators, difficult SHMUPS and challenging action games still sell relatively well. Dark Souls even made it into a blockbuster, and even Bayonetta manages to pull respectable sales figures. It's not about the difficulty; it's about the quality of your product - and its creativity.

There's literally no reason for me to replay Fallout 2.0 when I can just play the superior Fallout. Give me something new and creative.

These little 'hardcore' indie RPGs aren't selling well because they feel soulless, loveless. Which is amazing, considering how long so many of you worked on them. Maybe you just don't have what it takes.
Please tell me about being edgy again, I crave to learn more.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The sad thing is that you actually wouldn't know half-decent taste if it punched you in the face. You like these old games but you're no good at really seeing why they were good - or why recreating inferior carbon copies of them is less than desirable. It's kind of pathetic, really. You think you're so hardcore and old-school, like some teenager in school worried about what his peers think about him. The older you get the more you realize that you shouldn't really give a shit about what others think. This whole thing is the same as with Dark Souls; it's the epitome of trying too hard.

To extend an olive branch, I can't even really blame you. If I hadn't played the game on release I'd be right up there with the peanut gallery, crying havoc about how disgusting SJWs are invading fair Codexia, purely because of the fanbase. Hell, the game even has a reputation for 'memes' -- and there is not a single meme in the entire game. (Okay, that's not true: there is exactly one that I could find.)

It's like when you guys try to play Dark Souls and are all like "lol controller what a piece of shit." Don't you see? This is exactly like being a fan of classical music going to a concert featuring Freddy Mercury and complaining that there's no full orchestra and the conductor is nowhere to be seen. You're missing out on good things because of stupid preconceptions. I can't blame you since nobody is immune to it.

But I know what I can do: enjoy the infinite fountain of butthurt this thread is.

:popcorn:

likaq

Arcane

Funny, the same can be said about kotc. There's literally no reason for me to play kotc when I can just play the superior goldbox games. Give me something new and creative.

The sad thing is that you actually wouldn't know half-decent taste if it punched you in the face

Says Jasede, fan of weeaboo shit. Irony overwhelming.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I looove this game, seriously :love:

I already finished it 3 times on the perfect path and can't get enough.

It's my GOTY 2015. And 2016. And 2014 because why not. :P

And the soundtrack

:desu:

Brofists Received:
So the most brofisted person on Codex loves this game so much... I think I need to find a place where real grognards gather, Codex seems to just be false advertising...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
KOTC was nothing like the Goldbox games, though, so it's kind of moot. It's a different rule system, a different perspective, a completely different dimension of skills and abilities (only a few of which are copies of older ones) and carefully designed encounters - versus the kind of rudimentary encounter design of the Goldbox era. It's apples and oranges.

You see, here is the paradoxical thing: the more hardcore you try to be by limiting yourself to only the most monocle pre 2004 RPGs the less qualified you are to talk about the genre since you are so out of touch with it. You're missing all the great new RPGs coming from Japan, you are missing the hardcore dungeon crawlers that you have always dreamed of, you are missing all of it because you don't even acknowledge it exists. It's almost sad. All the games you have always waited for and you don't know about them. Almost hilarious! Real grognards stay informed and go where the good games are, irrespective of what label they have attached to them or the country they are from.

RPG Codex... is hipsters.

:rage:

Last edited:
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
KOTC was nothing like the Goldbox games, though, so it's kind of moot. It's a different rule system, a different perspective, a completely different dimension of skills and abilities (only a few of which are copies of older ones) and carefully designed encounters - versus the kind of rudimentary encounter design of the Goldbox era. It's apples and oranges.

You see, here is the paradoxical thing: the more hardcore you try to be by limiting yourself to only the most monocle pre 2004 RPGs the less qualified you are to talk about the genre since you are so out of touch with it. You're missing all the great new RPGs coming from Japan, you are missing the hardcore dungeon crawlers that you have always dreamed of, you are missing all of it because you don't even acknowledge it exists. It's almost sad. All the games you have always waited for and you don't know about them. Almost hilarious! Real grognards stay informed and go where the good games are, irrespective of what label they have attached to them or the country they are from.

RPG Codex... is hipsters.

:rage:
Depends what one's ideal is. My ideal is Fallout: A GURPS Post-Nuclear Adventure. Won't find anything like it.

Undertale is lighter than Underrail. Lighter stuff tends to sell more and as such is likely to get more advertising due to higher returns.
Unfortunately I have to agree about lighter stuff. Hardcore games are dying, and it looks like it makes no sense making them when stuff like that sells so much more than AoD, Underrail and other cool games. And most likely, we won't be making hard games anymore, it doesn't pay off.
Damn bro... that sucks.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The sad thing is that you actually wouldn't know half-decent taste if it punched you in the face. You like these old games but you're no good at really seeing why they were good - or why recreating inferior carbon copies of them is less than desirable. It's kind of pathetic, really. You think you're so hardcore and old-school, like some teenager in school worried about what his peers think about him. The older you get the more you realize that you shouldn't really give a shit about what others think. This whole thing is the same as with Dark Souls; it's the epitome of trying too hard.

To extend an olive branch, I can't even really blame you. If I hadn't played the game on release I'd be right up there with the peanut gallery, crying havoc about how disgusting SJWs are invading fair Codexia, purely because of the fanbase. Hell, the game even has a reputation for 'memes' -- and there is not a single meme in the entire game. (Okay, that's not true: there is exactly one that I could find.)

It's like when you guys try to play Dark Souls and are all like "lol controller what a piece of shit." Don't you see? This is exactly like being a fan of classical music going to a concert featuring Freddy Mercury and complaining that there's no full orchestra and the conductor is nowhere to be seen. You're missing out on good things because of stupid preconceptions. I can't blame you since nobody is immune to it.

But I know what I can do: enjoy the infinite fountain of butthurt this thread is.

:popcorn:

People don't hate Undertale out of principle(well some do). They think it's shit, because it is. It's a bad game, it looks, plays and feels shit. (And yes, I've played it, sadly).

No, I'm not letting my principles guide my bias, I'm not trying to be edgy or hardcore, I'm just calling a shovel a shovel, shit game is shit game. The end.

Robert Jarzebina

So the most brofisted person on Codex loves this game so much... I think I need to find a place where real grognards gather, Codex seems to just be false advertising...

post-6386-0-46062900-1392659949.jpg

Vikter

Learned
Patron
Well, Undertale seems popular because of its meta game, mostly, and that's why people tend to ignore its flaws or even create new standards to judge it. It's like going to the movies and watching an Adam Sandler movie while being given a blowjob. It's a great experience, by its own, but it doesn't make it a better movie.

Same thing with Undertale. It's surprising and unique, in some ways, but it may not be a good execution in terms of what makes it a game (even moreso an RPG). If you can't say why is it good because it will spoil newcomers, maybe it's not really for everyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom