Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Valkyria Chronicles

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably one of the main advantages of Valkyria Chronicles is its unique tactical turn-based system that, while not diverging from the standard formula for games of this type, still manages to alter the perspective of certain elements radically enough to gain a dynamic never before seen in any turn-based game. The difference is profound and, what is more important, it works. Most of the time.

Ring of Red sort of did it first on the PlayStation 2. Still, Valkyria Chronicles is a lot of fun and not many games in the genre uses this style of play.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Ring of Red has nothing 'dynamic' about it's battle-system, I played it well before VC and it bored me to tears.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Straightedge codex needs to grow up.

You've all (except me, it feels like) already accepted the implicit decline of controllers and steam so why are you acting so indignant about a good phase based game having pc success?

FFS, there is currently a topic in GenRPG called 'Is Bethesda inclined?'

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

I personally don't mind the artstyle, but I do hate the nipponese dialogue and character exposition.

I can understand things losing their original meaning due to translation as far as dialogues go but the characters remain incredibly generic anime cardboard cut outs as far as their actions, reactions and general attitude goes

Gameplay is kinda gud so I don't care anyway :M

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Straightedge codex needs to grow up.

You've all (except me, it feels like) already accepted the implicit decline of controllers and steam so why are you acting so indignant about a good phase based game having pc success?

FFS, there is currently a topic in GenRPG called 'Is Bethesda inclined?'
First they came with controllers and I bitched a lot, but no one listened.

Then they came with locked down digital distribution and I bitched a lot, but no one listened.

Now they come with anime and there is no one to bitch for me, so I'll have to do it again.

Arthandas

Liturgist
According to this review the AI is dumb and there's an overall unbalance. How come it's still considered good if the most important things for a strictly single player tactical game are bad?
I was considering to buy it since it's 66% off on Steam but the bad AI is enough to make it a deal breaker for me and there's also the lack of balance (and loli hentaii dlc)...

Also fuck you tuluse, I wanted that avatar...

According to this review the AI is dumb and there's an overall unbalance. How come it's still considered good if the most important things for a strictly single player tactical game are bad?
I was considering to buy it since it's 66% off on Steam but the bad AI is enough to make it a deal breaker for me and there's also the lack of balance (and loli hentaii dlc)...

Also fuck you tuluse, I wanted that avatar...
This game isn't really about balance or AI. Haven't played it in ages, but the encounters are kind of hand crafted, and you're rated by how fast you get through them. So while the AI isn't going to outthink you, the encounter design does what the AI doesn't.

That being said, the game isn't super difficult except for getting perfect rankings. It's a good combat system with solid encounters - that makes for a fun game. The balance talk is hogwash - balance is irrelevant. Some classes are better than others, but who gives a fuck? They each have their utility.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom