Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Writing Hall of Infamy

Egosphere

Arcane
It becomes bad much earlier than that. One of the alien spec-op soldiers kills the other and get seen by some random worker. When the worker's testimony is brought to the council, they just hand-wave it away like it's nothing, even though the bad guy is implicated by name. Apparently these elite agents are household names across the galaxy.

TBH this is most realistic and real part of the game.
It's not their refusal to hear the testimony that irked me. It's that they didn't seem to recognize that he had no way of knowing that info. Even if they didn't believe him, they'd have to take him in for questioning to know how he knew the soldier's name, race etc.

PsychoFox

Educated
I get the feeling that PoE belongs somewhere around here. I mean the writing is technically competent, but the it seems like it's saying so little in so many words, and not much of it is all that interesting.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I get the feeling that PoE belongs somewhere around here. I mean the writing is technically competent, but the it seems like it's saying so little in so many words, and not much of it is all that interesting.

Felt that way about Age of Decadence. After a while I skipped most of it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Not the worst but my biggest disappointment : Shadowrun Hong Kong.

Back then, I hadn't played Dragonfall (and still haven't, maybe it's the same) but I had very good memories of Dead Man Switch. It was short and linear, but it was very well handled and narrated.
Hong Kong in comparison made me feel like the writing team had a wordcount to reach. It was full of completely unnecessary and irrelevant lore and characters talking about their background in the most random and chaotic way.

Felt that way about Age of Decadence. After a while, I skipped most of it.
I like how you emphasize the title for extra shock value.
Not that I disagree mind you.

PsychoFox

Educated

Haven't played that one much. The setting didn't interest me at all.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
You're not missing much. A lot of Codexer's get autistic over that game...but it just sucks

Haven't played that one much. The setting didn't interest me at all.

Robert Erick

Educated

Back then, I hadn't played Dragonfall (and still haven't, maybe it's the same) but I had very good memories of Dead Man Switch. It was short and linear, but it was very well handled and narrated.
Hong Kong in comparison made me feel like the writing team had a wordcount to reach. It was full of completely unnecessary and irrelevant lore and characters talking about their background in the most random and chaotic way.

Dragonfall was better than DMS or Hung Dong, at least when it comes to writing. HK's writing wasn't terrible or anything, but there was too much of it and it got melodramatic sometimes. It did, however, get bad in the Shadows of Hong Kong bonus campaign. Embarrassingly bad.

PsychoFox

Educated
I personally liked the writing in HK and i'm quick to criticize this sort of thing. I found the companions specially interesting.

Robert Erick

Educated
I personally liked the writing in HK and i'm quick to criticize this sort of thing. I found the companions specially interesting.
The companions were pretty good, bar Iszerobel. The plot was pretty good, as well. But there was too much TL;DR from NPCs that you couldn't get out of once you initiated. I remember when I came back from the final mission, I just wanted to go talk to my father and brother and the reporter at the entrance just wouldn't shut the fuck up and let me get on with it.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
This applies to the majority of RPG Maker games.

But we also had some Pearls like Reise ins All and Unterwegs in Düsterburg. Düsterburg especially showed how it could be done, even as early as 2003. Played it recently and it's baffeling how much the writing still holds up, because it takes its characters serious and it sprinkles some humour in, if it needs to.

The emphasizing is just a personal tick of mine^^. As for Decadence: the thing is, it started good, but then it made the mistake to tell me everyones backstory. I remember this long summation of the backstory of an assassin, I would only see for one quest in my playthrough. Nobody needs that, there are better ways to tell this stuff and I think the devs knew that too. But AoD was a passion project and as a writer myself, I can understand how much you want to tell people how cool your stuff is. Oh well, growing pains.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Dragonfall was better than DMS or Hung Dong, at least when it comes to writing. HK's writing wasn't terrible or anything, but there was too much of it and it got melodramatic sometimes. It did, however, get bad in the Shadows of Hong Kong bonus campaign. Embarrassingly bad.

I think the problem of HK is that they tried to copy what made Dragonfall good and went a bit overboard in their attempt.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I think the problem of HK is that they tried to copy what made Dragonfall good and went a bit overboard in their attempt.

That's it in a nutshell. The questdesign is still good, the new matrix fun and the plan of one of the big bads fascinatingly mundane...but it is all hidden under so much WORDS. And the same guy, who wrote for Dragonfall, worked on this one too! But just shows, that it happens sometime. Sometime, you just do too much and it isn't better.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo bad writing....

Dragon age 2,it was all about muh mages are evul demons no matter what you chose.
Mass Effect 3,that garbage of a human,Casey Hudson decided to scrap all the main story out of jealousy and delivered that diarrhea of three coloured endings.
MEA,written by sjw abortion survivals.
PoE1&2,when you let an accountant to come up with a fantasy world. The writing in the second one is so mediocre that maybe it makes it one of the worst worst.
Tranny,a half game with a lot of gated contend because muh replayability is fashionable word on steam. Also kill in shit.
NumaNuma,too much dry boring and lifeless writing. Walls of pointless text,far too over verbose.
DOS games,the writing is pretty bad,a lot of progressive faggotry,but in the end even it is too mediocre for the player to remember it a week after.

Black Angel

Arcane
The emphasizing is just a personal tick of mine^^. As for Decadence: the thing is, it started good, but then it made the mistake to tell me everyones backstory. I remember this long summation of the backstory of an assassin, I would only see for one quest in my playthrough. Nobody needs that, there are better ways to tell this stuff and I think the devs knew that too. But AoD was a passion project and as a writer myself, I can understand how much you want to tell people how cool your stuff is. Oh well, growing pains.
Do you mean when you first meet an NPC? Because that's not background, not exactly. Only a summary of who the NPC you're speaking to is and what they've been doing their whole life that gets them to this point in just few short sentences. If you want their *real* background, you ought to pass a [Charisma] check, and sometimes [Perception], [Intelligence], and [reputation] checks.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Do you mean when you first meet an NPC? Because that's not background, not exactly. Only a summary of who the NPC you're speaking to is and what they've been doing their whole life that gets them to this point in just few short sentences. If you want their *real* background, you ought to pass a [Charisma] check, and sometimes [Perception], [Intelligence], and [reputation] checks.

Good question. Would have to play it again, but I seem to remember lot of descriptions of a characters personality and what you *should* feel around this person (not a fan of that kind of writing).

Black Angel

Arcane
but I seem to remember lot of descriptions of a characters personality and what you *should* feel around this person (not a fan of that kind of writing).
The first time you encounter an NPC, there's only a vague and brief mention of the character's personality, and no, they don't tell you what you 'should' feel about them. For example, this is what you get upon encountering Feng for the first time:
Feng came to Teron with a caravan two decades ago. Nobody knew where he came from or why, but he had the bitterness of a man soured by the memory of the life he lost. He was well versed in languages and the antiquities, but the town already had a loremaster. Fortunately for Feng, the loremaster fell sick and passed away, despite the best efforts of the local alchemist who was quite puzzled by the symptoms. Feng became the new loremaster and even earned the favor of Lord Antidas after discovering several Daratan relics.
However, to actually know where he came from and why, you had to pass a [Charisma] check.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'll add some examples.

Cyberpunk 2077. The protagonist says this line right before the shootout starts instead of grabbing the gun and starting shooting. Besides the goon most likely even doesn't get an insult that complex. It doesn't sound like a phrase thrown before a real gunfight, it sounds like a phrase the writer thought was brilliant.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Pillars of Eternity 2. Not only the writing is too wordy, but it also describes what I can see through text.
Screenshot_2.jpg

Zer0wing

Cipher
Cyberpunk 2077. The protagonist says this line right before the shootout starts instead of grabbing the gun and starting shooting. Besides the goon most likely even doesn't get an insult that complex. It doesn't sound like a phrase thrown before a real gunfight, it sounds like a phrase the writer thought was brilliant.
Insulting the goon the short way would be deemed WAYCIST!!!1 No overwriting would be as effective as a simple "Nigger". From top to bottom, from russian entrance pisser Barak Obama to florida amazon warehouse "worker", african americans are sensitive bitches. If I were the goon, I'd just laugh at V's attempts at being witty right in her face.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Anything full of faux chaucerian thee's and thou's.
OMFG, so much this. Anyone play that Dynaheir mod for BG: 1? FML, I had to remove it. Full of that shit, IIRC! 'Tis, thou, thee, and shit like that.

Narushima

Cipher
["Your little skull sponge can't possibly get its grey cells around it"]
It's like the writer intially wrote "You can't wrap your brain around it" and then used a thesaurus on that sentence like a caveman wielding a club.

Last edited:

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
It's cringe when they try to be verbose and profound.

curds

Magister
Baldur’s Gate, where stupid accents are a substitute for personality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom