Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs have become routine.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Rather than exploring the game, its world and its systems, engaging with that and going on a quest for adventure, today, the player is instead harvesting for content.

The player is not really on an adventure anymore, they're mowing the lawn.

This places the player in a mindset of rote clearing away the fog of war, exhausting dialogue options, clicking rapidly on everything to look for "secrets", all the while, they're moving in a grid search pattern to find and kill everyone and to loot everything that isn't nailed down. Rinse and repeat.

What drove this change? How did it get to this point?

Have players simply become too savvy, allowing them to quickly find the optimal solution? Is it a change in attitude, amongst players in general? Was it MMORPGs?

Did the reward cycles very prominent in RPGs, train players to put emphasis on this (IMO) degenerate behaviour? Or, is it just the standardized, mass design approach producing a predictable experience?

What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you think there's a way to fix this?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
we grew up.

As a kid I could goof around in a game and be amazed by it due to my lack of experiences. Now I'm not really amazed and am more interested in the intricacies and the details. I want to see all the content, which includes to uncover the whole map and exhaust all dialogue options. I take satisfaction from 100% completing something.

I am not sure if this is what you mean but I see no negative change in that, it's simply that my childlike wonder gave way to a more methodical approach.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Trophy/achievement systems from the consoles are partly to blame for this. Achievements basically serve as a checkmark that tells that you've beaten the game, so gamers have adopted this "completionist mindset" and started doing 100% clears.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
we grew up.
I should have left you with the slavers.
You are asking for thoughts to a very vaguely described problem that you seem to perceive. I'm not sure I can do better.

Maybe try to give more specific examples of games, or if it's not games you mean but the players, how do you know?
Nah that's quite alright, you might not perceive this to be a problem.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I would say the primary factor is poor design. You know are rewarded for doing things in some poorly defined way and the only way to know for sure is to vacuum clean the map and/or use a walkthrough. The worst expression of this are "true endings", which even the suspicion of can drive people to degenerate gaming behaviours.

A good way of doing secrets is gothic 1/2, they are in somewhat logical places and the loot is usually worthwhile.

A poor way is having "secrets" everywhere, in places you can't see, for which there is no logic and mountains of garbage you have to sort through to find the occasional worthwhile thing. This leads to mindless vacuum behaviour.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Trophy/achievement systems from the consoles are partly to blame for this. Achievements basically serve as a checkmark that tells that you've beaten the game, so gamers have adopted this "completionist mindset" and started doing 100% clears.
Usually it's only a very small % of players who have the rarest achievement. A completionist mindset is not quite the same as going for achievements. I usually always try to 100% games and that includes seing all the content. I never bother with achievements tho as they are for the most part retarded.

People who go for achievements do it mostly for the recognition, it's like playing MMOs, would you do all of this retarded shit if nobody knew you did it? Probably not.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You can't really expect to engage with the 100th rpg in your life with a naivety and pure childish joy which were your traits when you played your first or second rpg... and you were, say, 11 years old.

Reinhardt

Arcane
hire jamal to hit you with hammer each time you finish rpg game, so next one will feel fresh again.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Christmas are coming, play Pentiment with a glass of wine. Problem solved. Many fags here do the same and they seem happy.
nigger, it's not even furry disco tier, it's not even in this shitty subforum. imagine how hard NOTRPGGAME you must be to achieve that.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Things are a bit too streamlined in the name of convenience nowadays, you don't really have to think for yourself what to do in a given situation. Trying out different things is part of the fun. I was watching a fallout stream the other day and got reminded that you yourself had to use the appropriate skill on things to see if it works, instead of the skill being automatically used on a highlighted object like games would do nowadays. Too much follow the prompt gameplay and "sense" abilities which highlight everything interactable, just following the next glowing thing on the screen.

tritosine2k

Erudite
There are no background systems to speak of, "modders" don't even touch factions and engage in cosmetics (aside from "sim settlements" ) . One interesting contrast is between
Chaos Overlords ( "10 different victory conditions" ) & Cyberpunk (horrible railroaded spawn "system" )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_Overlords

IGN, gaming journalist Tom Chick praised the clarity of the game's design, claiming its "elegant and exciting" gameplay was hampered mainly by a mouse-intensive interface.[12]

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
It's not like there is much of a choice. RPG used to be my most played genre, now it's my least played genre.

Half of the todays rpgs are souls-likes or "akshun-adventurds". Most of the rest is some try hard gay rogue like sewage or absolutely prosperized crap only a handful of fags here would enjoy. Woke shit goes straight into the trash. What's left are some potentially interesting games that end up as "coming soon" abandonware. Worst case scenario when "coming soon" abandonware gets released into early access hellish slog just to end up being shit anyway.

What were the most impressive rpgs for me in the last couple of years? Fucking TC's like Enderal and Archolos lol.

Last edited:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Rather than exploring the game, its world and its systems, engaging with that and going on a quest for adventure, today, the player is instead harvesting for content.

The player is not really on an adventure anymore, they're mowing the lawn.

This places the player in a mindset of rote clearing away the fog of war, exhausting dialogue options, clicking rapidly on everything to look for "secrets", all the while, they're moving in a grid search pattern to find and kill everyone and to loot everything that isn't nailed down. Rinse and repeat.

What drove this change? How did it get to this point?

Have players simply become too savvy, allowing them to quickly find the optimal solution? Is it a change in attitude, amongst players in general? Was it MMORPGs?

Did the reward cycles very prominent in RPGs, train players to put emphasis on this (IMO) degenerate behaviour? Or, is it just the standardized, mass design approach producing a predictable experience?

What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you think there's a way to fix this?

The ‘civilized’ world has become totally systematized, and so rpgs like almost everything else are generally made by and for pod dwellers who see life and the world as a system to be run.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wait until Starfield is released.
I am telling you,guys,it will REVOLUTIONIZE RPG's.
"TWENTY TIMES THE DETAIL!
SEE THAT PLANET? YOU CAN COLONIZE IT!
JUST WORKS!"
todd-howard-starfield.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom