Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline RPGs that you regret finishing

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Falksi, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Nevermore Literate

Nevermore
    Dragon Age: Origins. The second half of the game bored me to death and sucked out my curiosity towards the sequels.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. U-8D8 Learned

U-8D8
    I'm about seventy percent sure that you can initiate combat when you meet all three of them at the enclave but I can't say for certain. You can kill any of them in the Darkside paths on planets or even just one of them. And if you do the latter the remaining masters will still show up but say they know what you did and attack you. Game then defaults to Kriea's dark side dialogue after they're dead. That's why I'm willing to be you can do the same when you meet the three of them, because the game already has a contingency for killing the Masters in the Enclave.

Generally agree with the ending though. The stock answer would be to install the TSLRCM mod if you haven't already, but if you have a problem with the game forcing you into controlling just your party too much I think that would only exacerbate the problem. I didn't have a problem with that in the base game and even I got sick of it with the mod installed.

^ Top  
  3. Nutria Arbiter

Nutria
    Am I the only fucking person here who actually played the game? You get to kill the guy who fucked Kelly Hu and have her all to yourself about 3/4 of the way into it, then you kill Sion, then you defeat Kreia. And she doesn't "save" you unless you mean in some very abstract way.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Owlish Arcane

Owlish

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Oh I just imagined that part, and it appeared on youtube through my imagination

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  5. Nutria Arbiter

Nutria
    Oh yeah, I read that wrong. You're right. They use the term "dark jedi" so much that I thought you were talking about the Sith.

^ Top  
  6. wahrk Learned

wahrk
    They didn’t just run out of time, LucasArts pushed their release date up six months in the middle of development. It was even less than 18 months, development started in October 2003 and the game shipped December 2004.

Also, I know Peragus is slow but it really takes maybe an hour at the most. Its not even the tutorial anyways.

^ Top  
  7. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    And here I was lamenting that I didn't finish that many games compared to other codexers.

But all I've finished, I felt were worth it.

^ Top  
  8. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    lul I quit after WM 1+2 and the first part, because aside from some aspects the game was already too shitty for me.

I was surprised though how much it kept my interest in some aspects, despite much shitty overexposition and very uneven writing.

Good thing my game crashed half-way through the Derp Roads and I couldn't be arsed to redo it.

^ Top  
  9. Red Hexapus Educated

Red Hexapus
    I just remembered I also regret finishing this thing. The premise of a hounted house, modern weapons and magic based on the periodic table of element is interesting, but the execution is lacking to say the least and game is simply tedious.

^ Top  
  10. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Never heard of this one and from this vid you posted it looks fucking awesome and original - is it really that bad?

^ Top  
  11. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    As for the main question - I don't regret finishing anything.

If the game sucks and is generally unfun (for me), I just dump the playthrough and maybe after some time I give it another chance. If it doesn't click on the second go, I usually dump it completely and never go back (looking at you AoD).

Had this thing with books long time ago, when I had to finish the ones I already started, no matter how shitty they were.
    Fortunately got cured of this - life is too short to waste time on things that are not worth it.

^ Top  
  12. Red Hexapus Educated

Red Hexapus
    I've played it a long time ago, but I remember that when you finish the game it asks you if you want to go back to the mansion and play again. My answer was "No thanks". I've found the game by accident and picked it up because the premise seemed interesting and unique, but the game is really tedious from what I recall with huge labyrinth-like levels and constant fights. Not something I would recommend, unless you can deal with the tedium.

^ Top  
  13. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Sounds like an oldschool blobber to me d:^)

^ Top  
  14. Kainan Educated

Kainan
    Mass Effect 1. The only time i felt like i wasted my time.

^ Top  
  15. Belboz Literate

Belboz
    I can think of a bunch, but on the top of that list there are Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera.
    As heralds of the rebirth of the genre they are pretty bad. They are full of prosopopoeia, too long windend and, most of all, uninteresting.

I don't want to list the things they did wrong but – essentially – Torment is just a bad copy of its predecessor and Pillars tells an interesting story (the Saint's War), but it is all in retrospective. You can't take part in it, you are just an uninteresting Observer with the menial task to follow your enemy for the entire game. Imagine if the game, instead, was about the War: having to build the Bomb, to fight on the Bridge. But, alas, that is not our task. Epic fail.

^ Top  
  16. MrMarbles Arbiter

MrMarbles
    Yeah, don't think I've ever been so angry with developers for mistreating their players with their ending chapters, that shit was just disrespectful.

So for the second playthrough I went with a 3-man party (to avoid some of the bullshit of HatEoT) and to have enough xp to just run/ sneak past most of the encounters. Highly recommended. Focusing on the early game and finessing the late game made PF:KM a solid experience.

^ Top  
  17. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    More interesting question is why are people finishing games that they don't like - not in the retrospective, but in cases when they realize midway through that the game sucks.

Because of the OCD?

^ Top  
  18. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    It's either sunken cost fallacy, hope that it gets better (rarely does) or just pure, manly ENDURANCE.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Belboz Literate

Belboz
    Because, usually, I've paid for them, the fool that I am. But mostly to bash them afterwards, having thoroughly played.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.