Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with evil protagonist

• Thread starter Cthulhu_is_love
  • Start date

Cthulhu_is_love

Coming from this thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-am-i-so-autistic.99666/

I had the following question: Are there RPGs where you HAVE TO play the bad guy?

And I think of it in a Dungeon Keeper way of playing the evil baddie.
The only game which jumps into my mind is Wizardry IV but are there others?

Share ur eternal wisdom with the hivemind.

Also: Is this topic worth an own thread?

Coming from this thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-am-i-so-autistic.99666/

I had the following question: Are there RPGs where you HAVE TO play the bad guy?

And I think of it in a Dungeon Keeper way of playing the evil baddie.
The only game which jumps into my mind is Wizardry IV but are there others?

Share ur eternal wisdom with the hivemind.

Also: Is this topic worth an own thread?
Sdsz24B.jpg

Well, many hentai SRPGs, VNs and SLG have p. evil protagonists. In western games evil is mostly played for laughs (DK, Overlord) or it's played just for the shock value (Manhunt, Hatred), or both (Postal). I don't really remember any western RPG where you can be just evil and that's it though.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
If you're forced to role-play as evil, can they still be considered role-playing games? :philosoraptor:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer
Knights of the Old Republic. You HAVE TO play the bad guy, but you can decide to become a good guy again.

Athelas

Arcane
It's perfectly possible (and in fact easier) to suppress your spirit hunger so much that the spirit energy you get from suppressing is greater than the spirit energy you lose in a day, never requiring you to feed.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's perfectly possible (and in fact easier) to suppress your spirit hunger so much that the spirit energy you get from suppressing is greater than the spirit energy you lose in a day, never requiring you to feed.

You're still the bad guy, you just don't act out your evil urges.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
rance is immoral, not evil. just like all the japanese are.

rance is immoral, not evil. just like all the japanese are.
1418007191006m0qc4.jpg
But seriously, given western mentality that rape is way worse than murder (and anglo definition of rape continues to stretch every day), most h-protags are pretty evil.

bminorkey

Let's also discuss RPGs where you *can* (but aren't necessarily forced to) be exceptionally cruel as well because otherwise there's like... 5 legit answers tops to this question

sser

Arcane
Developer
Of Orcs and Men has you playing what is essentially the 'bad guy' to the rest of the world. You technically have a 'good guy' story but your main character is described as having done horrible things to others and orcs in general really fuck shit up when they get angry.

Cthulhu_is_love

Let's also discuss RPGs where you *can* (but aren't necessarily forced to) be exceptionally cruel as well because otherwise there's like... 5 legit answers tops to this question

Yeah, seems legit if there are this few games. Thought there would be more obscure old games nobody ever played. Seems like i have to play japanese eroge games with evil cephalopod protagonist.

Maybe someone still has an idea...

Therefore: MUTATE

latest

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
While not being RPG, don't all Sim city-like and other Tycoon games make you an evil character ? Treating people like cattle/tools, building useless shit for profit, expanding only to keep the brutal capitalist system you've created from collapsing and so on. Those games make you a suit, the ultimate evil character.

Zetor

Arcane
Short answer:
Any game where you play a murderhobo... which is quite a lot of them.

Long answer:
In many/most jrpgs and jrpg-ish crpgs, you play an inhuman monster that lives only to kill stuff, and relaxes between killing sessions by looting the houses of innocent villagers. The next time you take that potion from the chest in the old man's house, revel in the thought that you have just condemned him to an agonizing, painful death in exchange for a low-end healing consumable that will become useless in a few gameplay hours.

Also blah blah ludonarrative dissonance. Most rpg characters are remorseless killing machines that'd rather leave a panicked near-death enemy lying there in a pool of his own blood, ignoring his pleas of mercy... because he is bodyblocking a healthy enemy from getting near the party's frontline.

This also makes the bg1-2-tob story work much better than it should. More rpgs should recognize that the PC is an unstoppable engine of merciless murder (and sometimes petty theft), inspiring death cults, serial killers, etc.

edit: also I'm p. sure going against the Geneva Convention counts as evil... has anyone finished JA2 or any other game taking place in the modern era without using landmines and mustard gas? How about flamethrowers and incendiary ammo? Did JC Denton ever fire a WP round from the gep gun in your playthrough?

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Planescape Torment as bad guy. It is fucking amazing how cruel you can be in this game.

never tried that

themoreyouknow.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom