Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with tabletop-inspired aesthetics

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What are some good ones? Post pictures too, even of RPGs that are fairly shit. I find them to be really charming.

When I say tabletop-inspired I don't simply mean "yeah Fallout is tabletop inspired, you could think of the characters as miniatures", but rather games where everything contributes to this feeling: for instance, if Fallout characters were actual miniatures that had no animations, glided towards their destination hex, and the game displayed a dice falling on the map.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Too bad battle brothers is not RPG.

i don't think there's anything popular within your category, most of the old games aim for "immersive" world and visuals and the nu ones tries to emulate the feel of the old ones using current technology.

Dorateen

Arcane
DDC792DDF2404E868CB19D3BEE1CD24316FC85C7

A party of characters positioned around a central adventuring window and moving as one unit, is as evocative as it gets to capturing the aesthetic of a pen and paper group gathered at the table.

Other examples would be Knights of Chalice 2, if it ever gets released, for the aesthetic of moving pieces around a board.

And Talespire will be amazing should we get a role-playing module out of it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I think Hellenica fits the description https://techraptor.net/content/hellenica-review

It's not for everyone, though, i liked it but not enough to play it, i mean, they call it puzzle RPG, it's a kind of Tactical-puzzle-ish with RPG elements, not enough on the character development side for me.

There's also Shadow of the Horned rat (warhammer) but it's an old war game, not sure it's playable on modern PC https://af.gog.com/game/warhammer_shadow_of_the_horned_rat?as=1649904300

Not sure that's what you're looking for but it's warhammer, so ...
I enjoyed this one although i can't stand most war games, even the best ones, the fantasy settings probably helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are some good ones? Post pictures too, even of RPGs that are fairly shit. I find them to be really charming.

When I say tabletop-inspired I don't simply mean "yeah Fallout is tabletop inspired, you could think of the characters as miniatures", but rather games where everything contributes to this feeling: for instance, if Fallout characters were actual miniatures that had no animations, glided towards their destination hex, and the game displayed a dice falling on the map.

Crimson Shroud for the 3DS (could be emulated I guess) designed by Matsuno (FF Tactics, Vagrant Story): characters are miniatures and combat is done by rolling dices:

12_full.jpg

Cael

Arcane
Temple of Elemental Evil is perhaps what you are looking for?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Card Hunter is heavily tabletop aesthetics inspired. Its a pure combat game and you can play it for free on Steam so there is no risk in trying it. Its a charming little game with actually cool combat that isn't pay to win. The card based stuff isn't everybodys cup of tea though.

ouch.jpg

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Card Hunter is heavily tabletop aesthetics inspired. Its a pure combat game and you can play it for free on Steam so there is no risk in trying it. Its a charming little game with actually cool combat that isn't pay to win. The card based stuff isn't everybodys cup of tea though.

But it is pay to win, except if you're going to sink billions of years farming and even then, time is money...

It's good though, i played it a bit a couple of years back, i can't say i like card battles very much, aside from the best systems which are decent, it's one of them and multi-player is quite good.
Multi-player is extremely time consuming though.

curds

Magister
Capturing the look of a PnP RPG is a cheap gimmick, imo. Doesn't appeal to me at all.

Capturing the feel of PnP, on the other hand, is a noble goal. ToEE, Pool of Radiance, Baldur's Gate series and Wizardry 8 are the best at capturing this feel (out of what I've played).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom