Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rules of the Codex - Enhanced Edition (2012)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
And besides, people in general should always let their anger out. I'm totally serious about this. I always thought the aggro is much bigger in other forums, where nothing of this sort is allowed.
The best example are forums about (online) flight sims or game mods where there is unbearable aggro in almost every post.
That's what you do with children too, let them scream til they are exhausted, then they become almost serene.
On the codex, once you called someone a cunt so many times, there comes this strange desire to be his friend.

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ
But hasn't this always been the way the codex operates?
Clearly not enough.

Although I don't even agree with your 99% to 1% ratio. People should provide a lot more content to not be called a shitposter.
Depends - how interesting is this 1%?

My main point is that we shouldn't rely on some rules and posters shouldn't be entitled to post here just because they can respect those rules. No - what should make you eligible for posting here is having something to say that is interesting, amusing or otherwise bro-like enough for the others to be glad that that they can read an discuss it, enough for them to think "man I'm glad X posts here", even if you're a complete fucktard rest of the time.

We seem to have the "no rules" part of that pretty much nailed - now we need to work on the part where we tell those who are complete fucktards all the time to go home, complete with swift kick in the arse to help get the message across.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't really like the idea of some guys deciding whether I'm good enough to post on the forum and if I'm cool enough to stay with the :obviously: kids, we already get that shit on other places.
No, in the other places we have the kind of shit where it doesn't matter how cool you are - if you don't respect the multitude of rules and restriction it's END OF RHINE and DING DONG BANNU for you.

And frankly, I don't think you'd be particularly endangered by cracking down on complete fucktards.

EG

Nullified
Do I have value, DraQ; Can I be part of your new Codex?

:(

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The difference is whether you have some actual criticism to make. Was I trolling the Tortured Hearts guys? You can only say that if you start thinking all criticism is trolling, which a lot of people have picked up through corporate brainwashing.

And if you don't see the BS guys as pretty manipulative and think Gaider would change his tune if he still posted here, eh, you've got a lot of emotional engagement and wishful thinking going on.

But that's what I've been saying all along: criticism is fine if you actually criticize using examples. TBS guy deserved this. He didn't deserve being called a fucker just because.

Whether Gaider would be a good poster or not is irrelevant. You can really discover the nature of a man much better when you let him trip himself up while maintaining a dignified air rather than calling him names.

It's about OTHER developers that may want to really get good feedback and develop a rapport with old school gamers that I worry about. You say that Charles escaped with his life but what if there were more shills as there always is the danger of there being? Would he have come back?

Just perhaps a rule addendum that shit like that won't be tolerated: 'either you have something to say or GTFO' regarding abusing people just for the fuck of it would at least give pause to some. BB is right, we need to let off steam and rage about shit in general but most people rage with reason rather than just troll shit abuse for the lulz like curry.

Repressed Homosexual
DragoFireheart and DraQ making ingratiating Codex administration posts again...

Anyway, as for myself I would like to see more civility, but I think if it is coerced, this place would lose its favor. Sure it means having to sit through some terrible material and inane profanity, but you also gain some interesting perspectives that you wouldn't see otherwise. That's why I keep reading this place.

I agree that the Codex caters to a particular crowd, and it shouldn't be veered another direction. I follow the Bible to the letter, yet I also have a very thick skin and it is almost impossible to offend me.

It's true that gratuitous insults of developers are simply not necessary. Perhaps the News section should be moderated more tightly. However, I think it wouldn't change much, because the people who want to make these nasty posts would just rationalize it somehow and make their posts more crafty. Remember that, as Charles said, people always justify themselves no matter the cost.

A shame that most developers cannot be like Charles, although I know most human beings simply do not like to withstand gratuitous nastiness. He is really cool. A total class act, and yet he is always playful with everyone in just the right way.

The day the people wanting to "soften" this place become more numerous than those who don't, is the day I start losing faith in the Codex.

EG

Nullified
The Developer is a strange entity that desires primary the visible pleasure of others evoked by their work rather than critiques of their product. Civil replies, or not, the moment a poster expresses discontentment with their work, the Developer reacts violently and emotionally.

Even the relatively passive IndieStone forums for Project Zomboid result in the dev's tears, if the board dislikes certain qualities of an abrupt change.

The day the people wanting to "soften" this place become more numerous than those who don't, is the day I start losing faith in the Codex.

Where we're at seems to be good right now. News posts don't consist primary of Jew/Muslim jokes, and such filth.

DraQ

Arcane
DragoFireheart and DraQ making ingratiating Codex administration posts again...
How is "ban the fucking retards already!!1" an ingratiating post?
o_O

Anyway, as for myself I would like to see more civility
I don't really care about civility, although it would probably be a welcome side effect of reducing fucktardry.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's not about softening, it's about reducing retardation, and conversely increasing interesting content (which doesn't have to be presented softly, at all). Not necessarily the same thing.

Ninja:
I don't really care about civility, although it would probably be a welcome side effect of reducing fucktardry.
This.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
just for sake of discussion would you guys want to just pick out a few examples that need banning immediately and we can hash out out why the admins haven't banned them

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Don't ban BBC aka Running Cock. I'd rather keep him as a visual aid how stupid and butthurt immigrant you can be, how self damaging it is to leave your own country and live in another that you don't like.

Besides he is not that bad, can make very intelligent posts if he only wants to, so Draq is just contradicting his own philosophy from the previous page. (see: what is a shitposter according to Draq)

Deleted member 7219

I thought Saint Proverbius was still alive. I swear I saw him logged in the other day. I assumed him to be one of the Old Gods, a sleeping Titan who occasionally dipped his head below the clouds to see what was happening in the world he made.

hiver

just for sake of discussion would you guys want to just pick out a few examples that need banning immediately and we can hash out out why the admins haven't banned them

All feeding on hubris, by Aristotelian definition, basically.
Banning one or two random morons wont do anything in terms of reducing forums retardation and decline.

Although a turd mentioned above should be banned and nuked regardless of that.

tiagocc0

Arcane
All feeding on hubris, by Aristotelian definition, basically.
Banning one or two random morons wont do anything in terms of reducing forums retardation and decline.

Although a turd mentioned above should be banned and nuked regardless of that.

Well, who said anything about "reducing forums retardation and decline.", I just thought it would be fun.
:love:

EG

Nullified
Oh no! How will Prosper cope?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom