Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Russian indie hit Eador: Genesis got an English release

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Argh, there just is so much... repetition.

This is the one thing I didn't like in original HoMM, and it gets worse here, since you have only one playable race. Is there something really cool waiting after those 10 initial shard unlocks?

I hope in the next title there'd at least be heroes that carry over between missions or something.

oscar

Arcane
I really like this so far (completed the first tutorial shard), but I'm also wondering like Haba about whether I should bother with the campaign as I don't like the idea of endlessly building up a force then capturing the map. HoMM elevated this problem by having varied scenario objectives and you beginning the game well established and with a strong starting stack in later scenarios (plus different races).

Also mad props to whoever was in charge of the graphics and units appearance. The superiority in art style and presentation of this over Warlock's saturday-cartoon style is incredible.

mondblut

Arcane
Argh, there just is so much... repetition.

This is the one thing I didn't like in original HoMM, and it gets worse here, since you have only one playable race. Is there something really cool waiting after those 10 initial shard unlocks?

I hope in the next title there'd at least be heroes that carry over between missions or something.

That's not in the plans. It takes half a shard to max out a hero, what would be the point of carrying him through the rest of the game?

The amount of "filler" conquest in between campaign-relevant events is going to be reduced, though, so the campaign will be shorter and more dense. In addition, there are plans to spice up the game with various "special conditions" shards where different rules are in play. Like a "rust world" where equipment wears out very quickly crippling item-depending heroes and heavily armored units, a "death world" where population is dying out, etc. Something to brutally shake the default balance and bring out different strategies.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It'd require major rebalancing for sure, but since you only have four hero types once can only motivate himself so many times to grind up the same basic skill set.

Maybe unlocking more hero types or something.

I just look at my current hero with fully decked out gear, 120 hitpoints and shitniz. And know that if I complete the shard, I'll have to go through the same hoops in the next one.

But besides the buggy W7 implementation, the repetitiveness is the only real complaint I have. Not bad for an indie game.

mondblut

Arcane
It'd require major rebalancing for sure, but since you only have four hero types once can only motivate himself so many times to grind up the same basic skill set.

Maybe unlocking more hero types or something.

Actually, when your hero hits level 10, he can choose between 4 prestige classes - either further focusing his specialization or becoming a hybrid with any other class (and acquiring an unique feature or two as well). So make it 20 hero types :) They further upgrade on level 20.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
This game consistently keeps kicking my ass. Whenever I start getting into a stalemate on a shard I start losing. Bigger enemy garrisons and AI cheating like a mofo means turtling really isn't that viable a strategy. Fine line between rushing and building up seems to do it. Or am I missing a way to get out of the grinding rut to oblivion?

oscar

Arcane
Yeah combat seems to bog down a lot as I find it hard to make a breakthrough (capture most of their towns but the fort but by then I'm pretty much out of troops and have to go back to a province where I can recruit more, while in the meantime they re-capture the land beating my guards and so on).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Nah, that's not so hard. Just build a line of stables for quick travel, some storehouses to (re)supply your heroes and some garrisons for defense and to be able to hire new units on those newly conquered provinces. When you're breaking into their territory the advantage is already on your side. Keep the pressure up and start working towards isolating their fort. Once you do start preparing for the siege and victory.

It's when you're stuck in a corner with a very narrow front that you're fucked as far as I can see. I'm sure something can be done tho. Currently slowly being whittled down on an average shard with two opponents. I was too slow in getting out of my corner and am now slowly but surely being driven back. AI takes over a territory, usually killing the garrison and sometimes the hero. Next turn it puts a massive garrison type that overclasses whatever I have and which I cannot defeat yet. Last hope I have is that the other AI attacks the one pushing me to give me some room to breathe. Otherwise I'm fucked. Wonder if I missed out on something because other than that I don't see what I can do.

Fun thing being so far that actually losing a shard is shitty but not the end of the world. Live and learn and all that.

The amount of "filler" conquest in between campaign-relevant events is going to be reduced, though, so the campaign will be shorter and more dense. In addition, there are plans to spice up the game with various "special conditions" shards where different rules are in play. Like a "rust world" where equipment wears out very quickly crippling item-depending heroes and heavily armored units, a "death world" where population is dying out, etc. Something to brutally shake the default balance and bring out different strategies.

Absolutely loving this as it tackles one of the few problems the game has imo.

Ashery

Prophet
Yea, the power curve can be a bit of a bitch at times. Losing an army isn't the end of the world, but if you're not powerful enough to take out militias, you're just fucked.

Outposts with a single militiaman in the garrison are a fantastic way of stalling your opponent. Surround their stronghold with'em and you're able to easily clean out the rest of their towns. Not exactly cheap, but damn effective.

Some other comments:

Whoever said to use ctrl-alt-delete: It doesn't work; it counts as a turn reset :smug:

As far as creature lairs go: It's really fucking bad when your starting province has a dragon, medusas, and a whole bunch of other T2+ lairs. Nothing like being fucked over and unable to expand because you can't get the xp on your hero.

Probably had other comments, but it's, ah, 5:20am...heh...

Oh, it's fun to exploit dragons. scout -> archer, need to be around level fifteen with maxed damage and good gear. Buy a shitload of disposable militia men and just dig in in a corner, with your fodder making a line to prevent your hero from being attacked at range. I haven't used that exact strategy yet (Went for the scout -> command route last time. Four base mobility with pathfinding was pretty hilarious, but I missed the high damage output from an archer), but I will try to use it in my next game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yea, the power curve can be a bit of a bitch at times. Losing an army isn't the end of the world, but if you're not powerful enough to take out militias, you're just fucked.

The further you go the more advanced the enemy gets in comparison to you*. The AI here has a militia that he simply puts in every province he takes from me that consists of 11 enemy troops that all outlevel mine and outperform mine. I simply can't take them out without losing the army and thus losing the province the next turn due to the enemy invading again.

*This means that letting turns go by for energy on the astral part only makes the AI that much more stronger.

Outposts with a single militiaman in the garrison are a fantastic way of stalling your opponent. Surround their stronghold with'em and you're able to easily clean out the rest of their towns. Not exactly cheap, but damn effective.

You don't even have to build outposts. Take the provinces, have a hero nearby for security and ploink down the cheapest garrison (usually the militia one) in the province. As soon as the AI attacks a province use the hero to invade it back again. Meanwhile use other heroes to gobble up whatever other territory he has untill you can start the siege.

Whoever said to use ctrl-alt-delete: It doesn't work; it counts as a turn reset :smug:

Ahahaa. I love this game.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
What difficulty are you guys playing on? It seems to make a big difference and it could contribute to certain maps turning into slogs.

I'm on Expert for my first game. On the first shard the AI had the 11 unit pikeman garrison, but luckily my Slayer hero and an overleveled mercenary thug can pretty much kill them all day. It does take micromanagement though.

Eyeball

Arcane
Finished my first game of Eador on a medium size map with 3 opponents, who seemed all too eager to DOW me 3 turns from the time we met despite being significantly underpowered. I used the "undo" button a hell of a lot, causing my end score to total a nice big fat 0. I laughed.

I think what I like the most about Eador as opposed to HOMM and AoW is how the number of critters per hero is finite, meaning there's actually a point to recruiting more than one hero for anything other than carrying troops from your main castle to your Superhero. In my game, I had 3 heroes, with the archer being comically overpowered and running around doing most of the heavy fighting and then a warrior and commander doing a lot of exploring and clearing out the less tough dungeons, in time becoming quite strong themselves. My archer was level 27 at the end, my warrior 15 and commander 6, the commander seeming the most useless by far. It's all very well that he gives major bonuses to his troops, but those aren't going to do much good if he can't contribute to fights at all when he's low level, meaning I had a much harder time leveling him than my other heroes.

Can anyone tell me how I can get to build more buildings in my provinces? After I build a few, it says I have run out of space. What is the cap on buildings per province and is there any way I can raise it?

I still feel like there's tons and tons of stuff I haven't done. I couldn't, for instance, find any way to turn "evil" or "good" or any indicator of how close to evility or goodyness I was. Is it simply a matter of choosing the "muahaha, I am eeeevul!" options in the random events and then you'll get to build dwellings giving you demons and shit? I guess I ended up "good" as my level 4 unit I picked was some sort of paladin, but I miss some sort of transparency for a lot of things in the game.

Ashery

Prophet

The further you go the more advanced the enemy gets in comparison to you*. The AI here has a militia that he simply puts in every province he takes from me that consists of 11 enemy troops that all outlevel mine and outperform mine. I simply can't take them out without losing the army and thus losing the province the next turn due to the enemy invading again.

*This means that letting turns go by for energy on the astral part only makes the AI that much more stronger.
That's good to know re:passing time on the astral. I've only played the first campaign map so far (albeit three times, heh). And that exact point is what happened in my early game: I couldn't break their militias.

You don't even have to build outposts. Take the provinces, have a hero nearby for security and ploink down the cheapest garrison (usually the militia one) in the province. As soon as the AI attacks a province use the hero to invade it back again. Meanwhile use other heroes to gobble up whatever other territory he has untill you can start the siege.

You don't *have* to, but they give you another few turns to clean up nearby provinces before dealing with the enemy hero. Without surrounding the enemy with outposts, you'd quickly burn just as much gold replacing the various militias that you're having to replace every couple of turns and you'd be forced to intervene immediately with your hero. With outposts, the enemy hero can sit there uselessly for a few turns before my scout/commander returns to steamroll'em.

In my game, I had 3 heroes, with the archer being comically overpowered and running around doing most of the heavy fighting and then a warrior and commander doing a lot of exploring and clearing out the less tough dungeons, in time becoming quite strong themselves. My archer was level 27 at the end, my warrior 15 and commander 6, the commander seeming the most useless by far. It's all very well that he gives major bonuses to his troops, but those aren't going to do much good if he can't contribute to fights at all when he's low level, meaning I had a much harder time leveling him than my other heroes.

Archer's are comically overpowered in one sense only: Single target damage. They're *great* against something like a dragon or any small group of high tier units (Provided they can use double shot, ie they can keep the enemy at range). Against a large group of mid/low tier units, though, and they quickly run into problems. You're also hamstrung by the fact that you give up most of your damage potential when using support spells like slow that are vital to the success against many mid tier units. I've also had a lot of success with the commander, actually, as he'll gain enough command to clear out lairs with units alone. Throw in the troop bonuses on top of that, and you're looking at a great second hero choice. His lack of combat effectiveness actually helps his case to some extent, actually, as he's able to just sit back and spam spells like web and slow.

Can anyone tell me how I can get to build more buildings in my provinces? After I build a few, it says I have run out of space. What is the cap on buildings per province and is there any way I can raise it?

Some building types have a max restriction. Troop buildings, for instance, have a limit of four and it's impossible to destroy them and switch troop types. I actually fucked up my first game because of that very thing: I had built all of the "low" end T1 units and couldn't get the firepower necessary to start making progress. These days, I tend to go for a basic setup that transitions well to the mid game but doesn't leave me completely gimped/relying on mercs for the early game: Militiamen, Healer, Pike/Sword, Crossbow. You're also limited in this way when it comes to item and spell buildings.

I still feel like there's tons and tons of stuff I haven't done. I couldn't, for instance, find any way to turn "evil" or "good" or any indicator of how close to evility or goodyness I was. Is it simply a matter of choosing the "muahaha, I am eeeevul!" options in the random events and then you'll get to build dwellings giving you demons and shit? I guess I ended up "good" as my level 4 unit I picked was some sort of paladin, but I miss some sort of transparency for a lot of things in the game.

Part of the charm of the game, at least while I'm still learning the game, is the very fact that the alignment calculations are hidden. There also seems to be a refreshing limit to the number of "muahaha, I am eeeevul!" options. Or, rather, there's actually an interesting dynamic between the various options.

mondblut

Arcane

You can't raise it.

Stronghold limits are as follows: 4 1-st tier unit barracks, spell schools and item craftsmen (some stuff like sorcerer's shop or forge don't count, only apprentice/journeyman/master somethings), 3 2nd tier, 2 3rd tier and 1 4th tier (only 3 tiers for items, methinks). Also only one great temple (of war or of peace) and I think only one resource generator structure (either gold or gems).

Provincial limits are as follows: 3, duh. Some buildings may be upgraded further on though, an outpost a grand total of 4 times for instance. A small consolation is that you can dismantle buildings in provinces, unlike in the stronghold.

I couldn't, for instance, find any way to turn "evil" or "good" or any indicator of how close to evility or goodyness I was. Is it simply a matter of choosing the "muahaha, I am eeeevul!" options in the random events and then you'll get to build dwellings giving you demons and shit? I guess I ended up "good" as my level 4 unit I picked was some sort of paladin, but I miss some sort of transparency for a lot of things in the game.

Your karma does not affect building selection. You can still have paladins as an evil overlord, they'll just hate your guts and underperform as a result. Demons are only available from summoning spells :P

Many spells affect your karma, mostly negatively (nearly all chaos and death magic, for instance). A couple improves it a little bit (Exorcism and White Magic). And of course all those dialogue trees. Choices and consequences, man! :smug:

You can't know exact values for your karma, but you can see general estimation as your title in statistics screen, where it says "Playername the Asshole" or "Playername the Nice" or anything in between.

mondblut

Arcane
By the way gents, there is a small hotfix semi-officially released on the gog forums. It should fix the crash when a province is plundered into extinction, as well as some weird lockup behavior some users reported.

Download the fixed dialog.var from eador.com/pub/dialog.zip and put it into var folder, overwriting the existing file.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So... it actually happened? After 15+ years, MoM has finally been equalled ?!

Truly, a new renaissance is upon us

Lightknight

Liturgist
Against a large group of mid/low tier units, though, and they quickly run into problems.
Why would they ? Against various scum just use souped-up guards, their first strike means that weaker enemies will be afraid to attack them (actually never will), so your scout can give his full attention to important targets.

With outposts, the enemy hero can sit there uselessly for a few turns
Not necessarily, they can just break off the siege and go whenever. Rarely happens, but you cant simply expect enemy hero to be tied up there till the very end.
The AI here has a militia that he simply puts in every province he takes from me that consists of 11 enemy troops that all outlevel mine and outperform mine.
Militia doesnt really matter, all guardians are of fixed level ranges and variety, so eventually you'll overcome anything he can plop in a province. In the home castle, however, he can have some amazingly powerful stuff, like an entire platoon of minotaurs or golems.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
So... it actually happened? After 15+ years, MoM has finally been equalled ?!

Truly, a new renaissance is upon us
Unfortunately not.

Eador is a good game, with both depth and the 'just one more turn' syndrome, but it's still a long ways from MoM - though it is probably the closest one. Age of Wonders took mechanics almost straight from MoM, but Eador is much, much better at simply being fun.

Man I'm just lucky that the russians translated it finally, and it's not even a bad translation (well at least for a non native speaker).

I want MoM 2 made by quality devs. :(

sher

Educated
Heh. Finally they've managed to make translation, I'm happy for you guys and say goodbye to your free time for several months ;)

Few important things to know:

1. Normal difficulty is "expert".
2. This game is very complex, you do not understand me yet at all :D
3. Campaign is a strange thing. It's actually for experienced players who know what buildings they really need to win. Campaign is very long and there are not too many players who can say "I've completed campaign!". Campaign restrictions actually force experienced players to try some other approach instead of most powerful. You can learn what is what playing largest generated map with one weakest AI opponent.
4. Tactical combat in this game is brutal and more advanced than in most (if not all) other TBS games. Again you do not understand me yet at all :D
5. AI has only some starting bonus and isn't cheating at all.
6. It will take much time to master this game, be patient, it's really very "deep".
7. Watching videos made by experienced players can demotivate you (remember: you're not sucker just a beginner) and spoil your experience - be careful.

Eador is not a replacement for MoM because it has not MoM "global" feeling and spells, but it has much more advanced combat system and unique strategic-RPG mechanics. It's inspired by other games but actually does not remind any of them.

The only TBS I know where you actually need to think. Have fun :)

P.S. Do not explore provinces when you do not need to: the goal is to win shard not to explore provinces. Sites are for resources and during your play you will clear loads of them - do not turn your game into useless grinding.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Is there any way to influence the attitude of the other masters towards you, other than the first conversation you have with them? I've met 4 so far: Oinor, Beleth, Doh-Gor, and Vianta. All of their attitudes have stayed static so far. Oinor and Vianta: indifferent. Doh-Gor: favor. Beleth: contempt.

Is there any way to influence the attitude of the other masters towards you, other than the first conversation you have with them? I've met 4 so far: Oinor, Beleth, Doh-Gor, and Vianta. All of their attitudes have stayed static so far. Oinor and Vianta: indifferent. Doh-Gor: favor. Beleth: contempt.

It has to do with your own aligment. If you're order, order guys will be more friendly. Chaos is hostile to everyone, even other chaos, but not as much as it would hate an "orderite". :D

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
My own alignment is "merciful". idk why Doh-Gor likes me the most, other than me saying the right things to him when he first appeared. :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom