Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Should just bring back Nagoshi.

Ivan

Arcane
The Man Who Erased His Name was much better than 8, so I think I'll enjoy this. The concept sounds like dumb fun.

I hope the next mainline game gets its shit together because 8 was an 80-hour-long nothingburger and it would become a much better game if Ichiban's side of the story was cut altogether.
damn, what did you make of Y7? I'm hyped to check out Y8 but I've seen mixed reviews here among codexers.

Deflowerer

Arcane
As someone who has been a fan of the franchise since 2005, 8 is definitely underwhelming. It's enjoyable and certain parts of it grow on you, but at the end of the day it's a boring slog. I had similar feelings about 5 back in the day of that game being a slog, but it had some great highs and at least the plot's convoluted nature was in a way fun.

IW shows that they don't know what to do with either Kiryu or Ichiban really.

Don't get me started on the combat and the encounters. Let's be honest, having a tight combat gameplay and encounter design has never been a strong suit of RGG series, but especially in recent years, the moment-to-moment action provides enough feel-good pummeling. Despite the fact that, well, you are largely just punching down the same goons over and over. But by the end of IW, having also played 7, I was already so tired of the slow and awfully easy nature of the turn based combat.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
The Man Who Erased His Name was much better than 8, so I think I'll enjoy this. The concept sounds like dumb fun.

I hope the next mainline game gets its shit together because 8 was an 80-hour-long nothingburger and it would become a much better game if Ichiban's side of the story was cut altogether.
damn, what did you make of Y7? I'm hyped to check out Y8 but I've seen mixed reviews here among codexers.
I liked Y7 a lot. It had rough edges and could use more meat on its bones, but it felt fresh and had a strong scenario, which offset its weak spots.

Also, the substories and side activities were much better than in 8.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
A lot of people suddenly sound like they're unaware of Yakuza: Dead Souls. This won't be the first zany game in the franchise.
I'm very well aware of it, I own it as well and finished it multiple times. The difference is that Dead Souls was still Yakuza through and through. Not a fucking parody of itself.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Really jumping the shark, aren't they?

I don't know man. I think the only way I'll play new games in the series is if they actually give us a proper difficulty mode from the beginning. Really don't like what they're doing, and not just because it's "different." If story and charm is going to be the only draw to play these games, they're going to have to start doing better than 8 and Pirate Majima.

lametta

Educated
i got started with 0 and finished 1 and 2 as well. They release more games then i can finishm ishin, judgment etc. I wouldnt even know which spin offs to buy or at all.

Modron

Arcane
Sega you lazy fucks. When are you going to port Dead Souls to PC/modern consoles?
Meh would prefer they spend their energy on Kenzan I know the translation project is probably sitll alive but it feels like a decade away at best.

Terra

Cipher
They make new games so fast... i still haven't finished 7.
Yeah, it's kind of becoming akin to another Sega series; Total War, where they came so thick and fast they essentially cannibalise their own sales. Similarly, RGG is essentially the same game each time with a different story, not inherently a problem in itself but any sane player will stagger their purchases and playthroughs so as not to burn out.

After finishing 0, 1 & 2 remakes, I've still got 3 & 4 to replay to refresh my memory before moving onto 5 to finally finish it (I originally started it in ps3 era). Then I have 6, 8 and the various spinoffs, plus the Judgement series, which will all be dirt cheap by the time I get to them. Why in the heck would I buy the new titles at release when there's so much backlog to get through, which honestly is a problem I think Sega will run into with this series soon enough.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
They've come to the point where Yakuza 7 has already made me fucking sick of this formula despite having an entirely different battle system. Not a cent more to be sent Sega's way.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I DON'T LIKE THE TURN-BASED SYSTEM IN YAKUZA.
I DON'T LIKE HOW THE SERIES IS NOT CALLED YAKUZA ANYMORE.

I'M NOT SORRY.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Since Infinite Wealth is on sale right now, I'm thinking of getting it, but I'm not sure if my GTX 970 can really handle it.

I was able to play pretty decently the first Like a Dragon game. What do you guys think?

Lucumo

Educated
RGG-8Gaiden-Pirates-in-Hawaii-Trailer-2024-052.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom