Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sacred Fire - a psychological RPG about romance, loyalty and revenge - now available on Early Access

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/900400/view/3397421255142877582

Sacred Fire - Act 2 Progress and UI Testing
Hello everyone,

Work on Sacred Fire continues full steam ahead despite record-breaking temperatures over here, and here is this month's news.

Act 2 Progress
This is just a quick progress update - unfortunately, Act 2's release will slip into August. All location, character art and voice-over is ready, so the stage is set, but bug-fixing and finishing touches take longer than expected. We will reveal a specific August date as soon as we're certain about it.

a1eba4111d07896ac807a7f79ce1adac7d53a811.jpg

However, thanks to your feedback, the whole game, including Act 1 will be more polished and immersive than ever before.

UI Testing
We’re testing a new way how to communicate probability in the UI mixing icons and percentages to better represent the importance of different story beats and make choice-making more fluid, with the goal of immersive role-playing in mind. For those who enjoy their number crunching and min-maxing, the numbers only UI option will of course still be available.

0aedc6639f750ecfd706ebcf67fb212646f3d37f.jpg

Dialogue choices, where dice rolls result in indecision and not outright failure, do not clutter the screen with percentages. This could let you focus more on what you’d really like to do or say.

Of course if you want to bring back the exact probability and tooltips with breakdowns, you can change the UI settings back in one click. The way it works in the new setup is, you’ll slow down to evaluate the probability only if your character is indecisive:

77b3d92d4e5606cc213654bec578262f92d8539e.jpg

So what we’re collecting feedback on is whether displaying percentages only next to actions where failure consequences can be critical, makes for a more enjoyable role-playing experience.

fcd2446c2e2e0ea3e16a57fda831d30563a9a06a.jpg

As always, thank you for your patience and support. We wouldn’t be able to get this far, if not for you, an amazing and supportive community.

Act 2 Testing
If you can’t wait for Act 2 or want to test out the new UI, head over to our Discord[discord.com], gain access to the Act 2 testing build (with the new UI) and become part of our testing community and leave feedback.

[discord.com]

Sacred Fire
Iceberg Interactive

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Hello everyone,

Sacred Fire - Act 2 Is Here - a free update to the Sacred Fire Early Access build, is out now on Steam and GoG, doubling the play-trough length.

There is also a 25% sale on Steam.

What you can expect from the second act?

Before we get into (minor) spoiler territory, here's what some of our Discord testers had to say while playing through Act 2:

“Wow, this was scary! Well done!” - flori2412

“Love the choices you have with your brother.” - Metastatic

“Another marvelous act. Great job.” - yangao5e

And for those who prefer hard numbers, these are the contents of Act 2:
  • 27 new scenes.
  • 2 big battles and 2 one-on-one duels, each with a unique twist.
  • 3 new major locations with 25 unique shots
  • 9 new characters, with 18 new insights to uncover
  • 4 old characters got their art upgraded based on your feedback

A Visual Overview
Note: there will be minor spoilers from this point, so read along at your own risk!

11f74cdaefbf639eb9bc01b5f05f59629d7bdb84.jpg

Act 2 brings several major battles…

a24d7784d358ab8de5d294a3be0c5ce842dbc865.jpg

…and one on one duels…

f0c909d043aaaaf92ee6731ced14e9856e023e09.jpg

…that will test not only your cunning and willpower...

809e95557b7518467b47e97cda3a33f7c7fd7955.jpg

…but also the loyalties your choices inspired...

82f65f7c62695bb387db8028b77b640b3993f2de.jpg

…on and off the battlefield…

234d08d0d47a818b3a28fc2accb955627ee84c00.jpg

…in characters both old and new...

4a05ec4d81090a5092417927d11055bbf318f9d7.jpg

…and maybe even in some that were long forgotten.

We appreciate your patience as we finished up Act 2. We're very happy with how it ended up, and we hope you enjoy continuing your story. Feel free to leave any feedback on the Steam forums, or on the official Sacred Fire Discord!

OLD SAVE NOTE: we went to great lengths to make sure you can continue with your old save, but still some big changes were made to the story structure, so saves older than 2.6.0 won’t work. But if your save is that old, chances are you’ll enjoy the improvement made to Act 1 too.

BanEvader

Well, luckily everyone can play the free demo and make up their own mind :)

Some people are having a blast, e.g. here is a review from a player who owns over 2,500 games and almost never writes reviews:

If you already played the game, and liked the new experience, please consider voting for Sacred Fire for the 'Most Innovative Gameplay' Steam Award.

If you didn't play the Early Access version yet, you can get it at 15% off during the Steam Autumn Sale.
The man said it looked like a huge woke pile of shit, not that there aren't retards who don't enjoy your huge woke pile of shit.
If you're already gonna respond why not address the criticism instead of deflecting like a slippery kike?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe I want a more interactive King's Quest. Hmph.
f0c909d043aaaaf92ee6731ced14e9856e023e09.jpg

Kiss me you fool!"

Take my dirty soack and bandage yourself up. I don't kiss branding iron boo-boos.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
I understand this is a long thread, so I'm happy to re-address any specific examples where people think the game is pushing an ideology, and not being what it claims to be:
- an immersive and innovative
- text-based
- choice-making
- dice-rolling
- role-playing game
- about two siblings
- set in a fictional world
- inspired by ancient Caledonia, specifically the border wars between the Roman Empire and the people that lived beyond the Hadrian's Wall

The fact you can select an ethnicity when creating your character is in line with the game's goal to be immersive - it increases the variety for the player to be able to create a character they like to look at. Explained with the back-story of one of your parents being an escaped slave, who found freedom by joining the resisting people living in the no man's land at the fringes of the Empire. I even cited a study showing that a mixed race couple can produce an offspring resembling exactly one of them for those who didn't like how ethnic the ethnicity looks. This was introduced before the Early Access launch, so people buying the game as a product were buying into that experience.

If that's too woke for you, you have your reasons. This planet is a big rock, and different places have different histories of strife and conflict. I'm from Central Europe, from a now small country, that survived a millennium in a kingdom ruled by bigger nations (Kingdom of Hungary, then Austria-Hungary), until it won it's independence, only to be occupied for half of its existence by other Empires (The Third Reich, and then USSR). White men did horrible things to white men in our history. That's why for me race or gender is not the only issue out there. Ideology, tribalism, stupidity, rivalry, envy, addiction to the rush of battle? Sure. All explored in the game.

In fact people praise the fact that the choices and consequences are neutral, and the game is not pushing an ideology or morality onto you and the cast of characters reacts differently (see Steam discussion below), it's only up to you what takeaways you make. Mine would be that hanging on to past conflicts and letting your children inherit them might not be the best idea. You might be perfectly happy to go down that road and the game will not berate you for it, you will just create a different legacy.

That's why I think the game is not a woke pile of anything. But who knows? Maybe it'll trigger your alarm bells, how should I know? And that's why I think the best way to find out is, if you like the genre, try the free demo and decide for yourself.

Here is another take on this on the Steam forums: https://steamcommunity.com/app/900400/discussions/0/5221353200095540668/

Alkpaz2 16 Oct, 2021 @ 3:49pm

This game is not woke enough for me. No sale.

Summer Laverdure
iconGames.png
16 Oct, 2021 @ 5:00pm

Originally posted by Alkpaz Busy Vapin:
This game is not woke enough for me. No sale.
Your sarcasm is noted, but you might be misinterpreting this game. This game is not "psychological" like Life is Strange, this game is psychological in that it puts you in the characters head. If this game is supposed to reflect and teach IRL psychology well then I guess I'm not doing so hot because some dude tried to steal the deer I killed in the woods, I intimidated him enough to scare him off but I changed my mind, backstabbed him when he ran, twisted the knife while he was dying and then laughed while I hacked his body to pieces in the woods, and got off scot free. All due to player choice too, with no guilt tripping from the game like some games would do. It's an easy mistake to make in this day and age but trust me, the game and gameplay serves itself with nothing to take away from it except "damn, that game's cool".

Of course if you weren't being sarcastic yeah, you're right maybe not for you XD
Last edited by Summer Laverdure; 16 Oct, 2021 @ 5:01pm — See post history

VenomB
iconGames.png
16 Oct, 2021 @ 9:50pm

Yeah, you get it Summer. The game, as far as the demo goes at least, doesn't punish you for being a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. It doesn't put any moral standard to anything you do... the characters around you do. And that's what I'm excited about. Chances are, there are going to be more people like the "bully" in the demo.

And the fact that the game isn't a hardcore game that will eat your face for one mistake makes it even better. I usually like those punishing games, but something about the simple aspect of experiencing everything through the consciousness of the character is new to me. I just wanna play over the weekend and not wait until Tuesday damnit.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
looks like overlays from a TED talk superimposed on a loverslab mod

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Zoom that up and keep zooming. I will say there is some detail and if takes a bit for it to pixelate.

Brancaleone

Prophet
What has really convinced me that this is going to be a truly great game is the marketing with the comments from Steam randoms, like in The Wolf of Wall Street informercial.

images

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How about Codex randoms?

poetic The demo was great! Loved it! I'll be preordering the boxed copy once pay day comes.

Questions:
1) Can important NPCs be killed?
2) How much can you stray from the main path? Are all major scenes in each chapter unavoidable, or are there outcomes that lead to alternative pathways?
The demo of sacred fire is definitely the highlight out of 5 something i have played. Congrats. It's just like the backer alhpa but with steroids in term of visuals, UI and general QoL. Too tired to write in depth thoughts now, but it’s definitely my favorite one.
Yeah, I have to chime in with the rest and say it's a really solid demo.

In a way Sacred Fire seems to be something I didn't really know I wanted until trying it - what would in other RPGs really just be "roll a skill to see if you succeed and move on" here it's about breaking down the scene itself into individual bits that can go right or wrong. If the opening part with the deer is how we can expect scenes in general to be structured it's granularity at work backed by all those character stats. Now, it also means every individual action is throwing up modifiers on the screen, without even going into things like enforcing Ideas or not, but I liked the overall pacing constantly moving you forward. Except for the combat because I got the impression I could keep sparring with Morl forever as long as dodging was on the table and my character wasn't combat-centric enough to really dish out sufficient damage because I had plenty of MP to burn to affect Control and roll chances through it. This is something I wouldn't put past failing to understand the system on my end, though.

Unwanted

Don Salieri

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
inspired by ancient Caledonia, specifically the border wars between the Roman Empire and the people that lived beyond the Hadrian's Wall
Why are there niggers there though?
The fact you can select a Caucasian or an African ethnicity when creating your character is in line with the game's goal to be immersive
How is this immersive? See above.
it increases the variety for the player to be able to create a character they like to look at
I like how you admit most people just don't like looking at niggers and all, with a minority of goylems wanting nothing but niggers all the time even when it doesn't make any fucking sense. But when all characters in your game look like some goblins put through the worst of kike breeding programs this is a weak argument, don't you think?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Can I play as the Romans and enslave the refugees?
That's what he said:
Can't you make amends with the Romans? Is the entire campaign about fighting Rome? That's unfortunate, even if the game seems to be incline. Reminds me of that shitty Netflix TV show.
Hey there, yes, you can negotiate peace with Rome. If you choose that's the way you want to handle things. There is a 'who's done it' detective aspect to it, so you can figure out who lead the attack on the Wall causing the retaliation you must now survive. And then you have a bargaining chip with Rome. Of course you need to gain their respect first so that they are even willing to consider a negotiation.

Last edited:

BanEvader

The fact you can select a Caucasian or an African ethnicity when creating your character is in line with the game's goal to be immersive
Oh yeah dude, Africans in early A.D. Britannia. I'm fucking fully immersed.
PPL06734.jpg
EY YO WE WUZ CELTS N SHIET

Last edited by a moderator:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
How about Codex randoms?

poetic The demo was great! Loved it! I'll be preordering the boxed copy once pay day comes.

Questions:
1) Can important NPCs be killed?
2) How much can you stray from the main path? Are all major scenes in each chapter unavoidable, or are there outcomes that lead to alternative pathways?

Actually, I'm no longer preordering it.

Oh yeah dude, Africans in early A.D. Britannia. I'm fucking fully immersed.
PPL06734.jpg
EY YO WE WUZ CELTS N SHIET

Jesus, almost spat hot coffee on to my laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There are games where there are brown/black/dark skinned chars (no africa as ot doesn't exist in said world) that you notice and no big deal is made, thry are people like the green skins, purples, dwarves, elves, etc.

Then, there are the games that make a huge fucking woke deal out of it that cringes so hard you chuck it into the holy flame.

G8lMNSu.jpg

Chuck 1up for Charlie Brown in Deadly Towers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom