Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Safety First

Scorpiosblade

Novice
Recently I was reading your thread on DOW and Expansion, when I noticed the picture signature of Fez.

What he has to say in his signature is both irresponsible and dangerous. Even though the nuances of humour are not lost to me, you cannot ignore the possible consequences of posting this picture.

The reason that i'm posting my comment here is because I would like the people who run this site to do something about it. Even if you only ask him to change it and take the picture off for being vulgar, hateful or obscene, or maybe even because you think you have some responsibility for the safety of the people, who browse your site.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I understand your position on social responsibility. But the Codex fundamentally stands for almost unrestrained freedom of expression, and for that reason is beloved by members over just about any other Web site. You can truly "be yourself" here, and remaining a First Amendment bastion also is socially responsible, even if it's sometimes unpleasant to given individuals.

The site draws the line at criminal activity, such as download links to pirated software. I think that’s where it should stay. You could also (and many have) make the argument that violent video games of any kind are dangerous to society as a whole and children particularly, and therefore they shouldn’t be discussed here. That goes too far, in my opinion, as does asking Fez to remove his picture.

This is merely anecdotal, but for the sake of this conversation, I will note that my family is no stranger to suicide-related tragedy. I still back letting Fez keep his sig.

That said, I also treasure your ability to object to it in an honest, well-argued fashion, as you have. Again, the ability to speak freely is a Codex hallmark.

So please continue to voice your opinion. But It’s my guess you won’t sway many people on this issue.

LlamaGod

Cipher
if anyone is stupid enough to follow advice off someones interweb signature like that they deserve it

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Holy shit! Someone might find something offensive on this site? Can't have that!

While I ponder what to do on the situation, I'll give you guys something else to ponder about. If you have sex with an aborted fetus, is that pedo-necrophilia, or masturbating with a choice? YOU DECIDE!

Spazmo

Erudite
Scorpiosblade said:
What he has to say in his signature is both irresponsible and dangerous. Even though the nuances of humour are not lost to me, you cannot ignore the possible consequences of posting this picture.

I dunno... seems to me like the only 'possible consequences of posting this picture' would be making sure those whiny shits who decide to kill themselves do it right the first time. We at the Codex are dedicated to efficiency and quality in all things, from CRPGs to suicides.

In closing, I would ask you to visit http://www.goatse.ca in the hopes that one of the possible consequences of your time there might be you getting a clue.

xemous

Arcane
razor2.gif

HAHAHAHAHA

callehe

Liturgist
My god, you have absolutely not seen the worst of the codex. Be happy you have not been lured to this site:

www.tubgirl.com

This is what I would call visual rape of the hapless beholder :shock: :(

Fez

Erudite
This thread gives me an ego-boner.

Personally I think I am doing a public service. I wouldn't want them to mess it up in the critical moments! I'll have to make sure I pass the image around as much as possible to ensure the good word reaches out to as many people as possible. Perhaps I will make up some new images to accompany it, one advising kids to talk to strangers and take candy from them and another telling them to have as much unprotected sex as possible. Thanks for reminding me.

You don't like the sig? Follow the instructions provided and it will never be a problem again. Guaranteed results or your money back!

SLICE YOUR TROUBLES AWAY TODAY KIDS! SUICIDE SOLVES ALL YOUR PROBLEMS. FOREVER.

I wonder if I can get a sponsorship deal with Gillette? #Gillette! The beeesssst a whiny kid's wriiist can geeeet!# You should only use Gillette brand suicide foam (for sensitive arteries) with Gillette blades to avoid getting razor burns. You do want to leave behind a good-looking corpse, right?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What about advertisement? Funeral companies / medical research places / corpse disposal operators / mad scientists would pay top bucks to put their logos on blades and razors.

Fez

Erudite
Yeah, I think we're onto a good thing here. Get the right advertisers and the Codex can be set up for good with the funds.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm afraid I have to agree with Scorpiosblade. I too am concerned about the irresponsibility of Fez' signature picture. Another thing that concerns me is people who register with irresponsible user names. Take a recently registered user for example: Scorpiosblade. How irresponsible is it to subliminally advertise suicide? Are "scorpions" and "blades" cool now? What will become of the children of our world if we teach them such things?

Hey kids, get scorpions for pets! They're cool! Buy blades too! Scorpions are incredibly dangerous animals which should not be kept in a home with children. Of course perhaps I'm mistaken, perhaps this is a reference to EVIL ASTROLOGICAL VOODOO MAGICK and the star sign Scorpio? Such things are even worse! We can not allow people to advertise subliminally such EVIL VOODOO.

I request that people with such offensive and irresponsible user names have their names changed to DONOTLISTENTOMEIAMADUMBFUCK. We don't want these people to influence our children. Changing their names will tell the world about these people and ensure they are not listened to. Please, stop them and save our children.

Hory

Erudite
The DaC link in your sig is broken, DU. You should be banned for making kids get lost on the Internet.
Edit: yeah I didn't want to post an useless reply...
Talking backwards is weird.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Oot. I left out a 'w'. Thank you for that. While I was there, I added an extra something too. Children everywhere will be rejoicing.

AZ

Liturgist
"possible consequences of posting this picture" :shock:

The only consequence I can foresee is an ironic smile from the viewer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom