Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Since they're clearly using the Scarlet Grace systems, things I hope they improve on:

-Make a proper equipment system. SG had a simplicity to it but it makes finding loot and customizing items much less interesting

-More battle strategies. SG was designed so that the BP pool prevents you from using strong moves without using Unions, which ends up being the only worthwhile combat strat: just eliminate whatever enemy is in between your turn queue, get the Union BP discount, blast strong moves -> Win fight. I hope the new game changes this up so fights aren't so repetitive. I'd start by adding more ways to get the BP discount such as equipment or other class abilities, beyond just messing with turn order.

-Magic delays. Most spells in SG are not worth casting because they aren't powerful enough for the delay cost. Either get rid of the delays, make spells worthwhile, or bring back alternate resources for Spells vs Weapon techs. RSaga games feel like they have almost infinite strategies due to the varied spells available, while SG mages just feel like a waste of a slot.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
5ab5ccb53796f4f05646911f330cb9d2b1dea7640868b3b8a094a804072b744e

Ewww. Like cut plastic.

Jinn

Arcane
I prefer the aesthetic presentation in Scarlet Grace hands down, but I'm talking about the gameplay itself, which is what actually matters.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wanna play as an evil dude? Laughed at the companion names.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Finished Romancing SaGa 2. It feels damn good, especially after getting humiliated by the final boss about a year ago, which made me start over and git gud.

I think I'll wait for Emerald Beyond instead of moving on to RS3.

n0wh3r3

Novice
SaGa Minstrel song is quickly becoming one of my favorite games ever. I am considering playing Last Remnant next. What do the two have in common? Or should I give another chance to SaGa Frontiers?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
SaGa Minstrel song is quickly becoming one of my favorite games ever. I am considering playing Last Remnant next. What do the two have in common? Or should I give another chance to SaGa Frontiers?

-Both games use the Battle Rank mechanic, where grinding too early will stunt your late game growth. TLR does not lock you out of quests for being too high BR though.
-TLR is a more traditional story-based game. You always play Rush and it's the same overall series of events.
-TLR uses fewer weapon types; Techs and Spells are unlocked automatically based on skill XP. No random "sparking".
-TLR has a similar class system, except characters automatically get a class based on their skills and this levels up based on how they are used.
-TLR allows an 18 person party divided into up to 5 groups. Commands are semi-randomized and you can't directly control every character.
-TLR has 'remnants' (unique equipment) which are pretty much like the fatestones, except there are a lot more of them.
-They both have complex systems that are vaguely explained. FAQ research is recommended.
-They both have great soundtracks

TLR is a wonderful game and easily just as good as Minstrel Song. But if you want something that plays more closely like MS (aka more open world), I'd recommend Romancing SaGa 3 or SaGa Frontier.

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane

https://youtu.be/HwVavQil3Z4?t=6794

SaGa series creator Akitoshi Kawazu has teased a remastered version of SaGa Frontier 2.

Kawazu appeared in a video message during the 40th official Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe broadcast on April 1 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of SaGa Frontier 2‘s release with new content for the mobile game, and while he was clear that this was not a remaster announcement, he did tease one is coming.

“However, this is not a remaster announcement, so please wait a little longer for that,” Kawazu said. “Honestly though, you won’t be disappointed if you wait, so you can rest assured. Please be patient.”

grimace

Arcane
The director of Square Enix’s SaGa RPG series, Akitoshi Kawazu, has just revealed that fans can expect a remaster of SaGa Frontier 2, as reported by Famitsu.

The SaGa series is a long-running Japanese RPG series that started in 1989. Unlike the linear plots of Square Enix’s popular RPG series Final Fantasy, the SaGa games put emphasis on branching stories, player choice and open world exploration. The first SaGa Frontier title came out in 1997 for the PlayStation 1 and came to PS4, Nintendo Switch and mobile platforms in 2021 as SaGa Frontier Remastered. Since then, fans have been hoping that 1999’s SaGa Frontier 2 and its beautiful hand-drawn watercolor backgrounds will get the remaster treatment, with many rumors flying about. Now, it looks like their wishes will come true.

SaGa Frontier 2 PlayStation 1 1999

SaGa Frontier 2 was originally released in Japan on April 1, 1999. Fans’ attention had been piqued with the announcement of a SaGa Frontier 2 event in the mobile platform game Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe. Launching on April 1 2024, the event marked the game’s 25th anniversary. Unfortunately, the announcement made no mention of a remaster for the 1999 game.

However, in a comment to Famitsu yesterday, director Akitoshi Kawazu explained “Please wait a little longer (for the SaGa Frontier 2 Remaster),” adding that fans will not be let down by waiting. Hopefully this means that players can get stuck into the stories of Gustave XIII and Wil Knights on current hardware in the near future.

https://automaton-media.com/en/news/square-enix-saga-frontier-2-remaster-coming-reveals-director/

n0wh3r3

Novice
what is the main appeal of Romancing SaGa 2/3? Why should I play them?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Rsaga2 has the generation mechanic, where your main character either dies or retires and you play as their descendant.

Rsaga3 has a pretty straightforward world and story of "level up and go kill the bosses" but it has quite a bit of content and build options for its day. You can play as a commander and access an entire advanced magic system, or play as a merchant with a unique market system, or be a general and fight large military battles.

n0wh3r3

Novice

-Both games use the Battle Rank mechanic, where grinding too early will stunt your late game growth. TLR does not lock you out of quests for being too high BR though.
-TLR is a more traditional story-based game. You always play Rush and it's the same overall series of events.
-TLR uses fewer weapon types; Techs and Spells are unlocked automatically based on skill XP. No random "sparking".
-TLR has a similar class system, except characters automatically get a class based on their skills and this levels up based on how they are used.
-TLR allows an 18 person party divided into up to 5 groups. Commands are semi-randomized and you can't directly control every character.
-TLR has 'remnants' (unique equipment) which are pretty much like the fatestones, except there are a lot more of them.
-They both have complex systems that are vaguely explained. FAQ research is recommended.
-They both have great soundtracks

TLR is a wonderful game and easily just as good as Minstrel Song. But if you want something that plays more closely like MS (aka more open world), I'd recommend Romancing SaGa 3 or SaGa Frontier.
Rsaga2 has the generation mechanic, where your main character either dies or retires and you play as their descendant.

Rsaga3 has a pretty straightforward world and story of "level up and go kill the bosses" but it has quite a bit of content and build options for its day. You can play as a commander and access an entire advanced magic system, or play as a merchant with a unique market system, or be a general and fight large military battles.
Why should I play them?
Because you want more SaGa in your veins.
Got Romancing SaGa 3. Once I''l be done with that and Minstrel Song I'll try TLR. Thanks for your answers.

Jinn

Arcane
Started playing the Demo. Seems really good. Awaiting your points.
Interesting. Assuming you got it on one of the consoles? Does it say anything about progress carrying over to the full game? If so, eagerly waiting for the demo to drop on Steam.

n0wh3r3

Novice
Started playing the Demo. Seems really good. Awaiting your points.
Interesting. Assuming you got it on one of the consoles? Does it say anything about progress carrying over to the full game? If so, eagerly waiting for the demo to drop on Steam.
Yeah it should carry over. But in the demo you can only choose one character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom