Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row 3 gameplay

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Meh, SR2 hitman was retarded, chop shop wasn't very well implemented.
Hitman was p. much "go there and use/while using item X and/or get the attention of someone through generic means, maybe at a certain time of the day"
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Angthoron said:
Also, looks like Rampage comes in two flavours - normal, a-la SR2, and on a tank, a-la some of the more fun Kill Frenzies in GTA 1 and 2.

It's funny, I've been using a fully upgraded Grizzly (variant of Ultor's Bear vehicle http://saintsrow.wikia.com/wiki/Bear, introduced by Gentlemen of the Row, with full mod options at Rim Jobs) when I play Mayhem, and I might as well be driving a tank. I went through all six levels of a Mayhem and was only giving off white smoke at the end. The last two levels basically had me swarmed by police and Brotherhood and I just plowed through them all machine gun and missiles blasting.

Also took it with me on that Ronin stronghold mission where you're supposed to go to the roof of the strip club and hold off all the reinforcements they keep sending. I parked the Grizzly nearby before starting the stronghold, and when the siege would have normally started...hopped down and wiped the lot of them out with overwhelming force. Took a couple rocket launchers to the armored face, but at the end of the day I was still trucking along and they weren't. I even took out a couple with the knee-cappers installed in the wheels. Nothing makes you cackle like this thing.

Nifty for completing Snatch, too. Be careful the knee-cappers don't kill your prostitutes.
Where do you get Grizzly? I must have an outdated version.

I used a fully upgraded Bear for Drive-By, and it still got blew up every couple levels once they started using explosives, good thing I had a backup and car delivery :smug:
too bad you apparently don't get any rewards, but how the fuck are you supposed to complete that through normal means?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So... Updated drivers and the game no longer freezes.

- Combat is harder than in SR2 (fucking helicopters and shitniz), but upgrades will probably make it easier.
- Money has more uses now
- Some things are streamlined a bit too much. As an example, you no longer can wear several layers of clothing. No socks, no undershirts, no belts...
- Cars have fewer customization options (mods will fix this?)

The main negative I have is the fact that Steelport is damn grimdark. Whores everywhere! I miss the faux brit accented voice actor from SR2, the voice I have now sounds like god damn Batman.

But then again, after I updated drivers the game runs smooth and doesn't crash or glitch.

M4BE1R0 said:
Meh, SR2 hitman was retarded, chop shop wasn't very well implemented.
Hitman was p. much "go there and use/while using item X and/or get the attention of someone through generic means, maybe at a certain time of the day"
Angthoron said:
Also, looks like Rampage comes in two flavours - normal, a-la SR2, and on a tank, a-la some of the more fun Kill Frenzies in GTA 1 and 2.

It's funny, I've been using a fully upgraded Grizzly (variant of Ultor's Bear vehicle http://saintsrow.wikia.com/wiki/Bear, introduced by Gentlemen of the Row, with full mod options at Rim Jobs) when I play Mayhem, and I might as well be driving a tank. I went through all six levels of a Mayhem and was only giving off white smoke at the end. The last two levels basically had me swarmed by police and Brotherhood and I just plowed through them all machine gun and missiles blasting.

Also took it with me on that Ronin stronghold mission where you're supposed to go to the roof of the strip club and hold off all the reinforcements they keep sending. I parked the Grizzly nearby before starting the stronghold, and when the siege would have normally started...hopped down and wiped the lot of them out with overwhelming force. Took a couple rocket launchers to the armored face, but at the end of the day I was still trucking along and they weren't. I even took out a couple with the knee-cappers installed in the wheels. Nothing makes you cackle like this thing.

Nifty for completing Snatch, too. Be careful the knee-cappers don't kill your prostitutes.
Where do you get Grizzly? I must have an outdated version.

I used a fully upgraded Bear for Drive-By, and it still got blew up every couple levels once they started using explosives, good thing I had a backup and car delivery :smug:
too bad you apparently don't get any rewards, but how the fuck are you supposed to complete that through normal means?

Swat use Grizzlies once you get a high enough Wanted level in GotR. Just drive up and scatter them so they don't shoot you then hop into whichever one you want. Then start laying down the missile fire. Because they will be coming after you hard.

With the full 'enhanced' frame and all those upgrades it becomes pretty beastly.

GotR is up to 1.9 Final, by the way. You should pick it up.

sser

Arcane
Developer
CrimsonAngel said:
I still have the Brit for my GUY!.

Yeah, I knew I'd heard a British version of him during one of the last previews. Good, my red-haired Brit will ride again!

Good god did we all play the exact same character? :lol:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
sser said:
CrimsonAngel said:
I still have the Brit for my GUY!.

Yeah, I knew I'd heard a British version of him during one of the last previews. Good, my red-haired Brit will ride again!

Good god did we all play the exact same character? :lol:

I played a version of this guy.

Crim.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Fun game but daaamn, it's p. demanding. Struggling to run it on medium.

Anybody else has a problem with shadows not displaying properly?

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Bro, this game is new, why the fuck did you not say anything about your rig?

I played using the brit voice too :M

Angthoron

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
didn't get genki. made support ticket, apparently nobody who preordered through steam got their funtime pack. plus people who preordered through thq store also didn't get theirs because of some shitty technical error that truncated the mails after first letter of the code.

the steam_appid is a text file you make in the game folder and put the appid into it, which then allows you to start the game via exe (better make a backup of those exes since sometimes they encrypt them back, though it shouldn't be the case this time).
55230 is the app id for sr3.
not sure if it needs to be a blank file type or txt, i always make both to make sure.

I had this too. Fixed it thanks to some bright head on Steam forums suggesting to re-check the cache.

Here's how:

1) If you bought a box with a code in it, punch in the code, if not, ignore the step
2) R-click on SR3 icon in Steam, choose Properties
3) Click Local Files tab, select Verify Integrity of Game Cache (3rd option from top)
4) Wait
5) Wait
6) Wait. It's fucking long.
7) After the verification has ran its course, the wizard will announce that one file failed verification and will be re-downloaded. Close the wizard. Wait until this is done (It's either 30 or 80 megs or something, not sure, anyway, takes a moment)
8) CLOSE STEAM and restart it.
9) R-Click on SR3 and click View Downloadable Content. If Genki Funpack is there, you're set. If not, return to Step 2. I had to redo it a couple of times, possibly because I didn't restart Steam right away.
10) Once your rain dance is done, enjoy! Genki stuff seems to be pretty sweet, though I'm guessing it's in multi where it's at its best. The Octopus Gun is fuckin' sweet though. Singing, mind-controlling, brain-eating octopi. Hell yeah.

Anyway, finally found some hard..er missions. The STAG initiative rolled in, and fuck, getting away from a club and to the crib was not very easy, the AI was fairly good at trapping, ended up changing cars a couple of times (and restarting the mission due to terminal deadness). Finally got the VTOL, too, but will have to remap the controls for it, unless it fucks up chopper controls as well. Forward = down and Back = up keymap is slightly strange in jet mode.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Having loads of fun with the game, though somehow I have the nagging feeling that it is shorter than SR2... And many small details from SR2 are missing.

I am really hoping that more activities will be unlocked later, at the moment the game is just killing and killing more. Where are all the races?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Angthoron said:
Anyway, finally found some hard..er missions. The STAG initiative rolled in, and fuck, getting away from a club and to the crib was not very easy, the AI was fairly good at trapping, ended up changing cars a couple of times (and restarting the mission due to terminal deadness). Finally got the VTOL, too, but will have to remap the controls for it, unless it fucks up chopper controls as well. Forward = down and Back = up keymap is slightly strange in jet mode.
yeah the first stag missionw as fun. i snatched one of their suvs instead of the peacemaker when getting out and got to keep is as it was still standing at the crib after the mission and i just drove it into the garage... then i kept shooting them until lvl 5 alert, snatched a tank, and used the police notoriety ability to kill the alert then drove it into the garage too.

unlocked vtol via mission and now i only need one of their gunships :love:

zeitgeist

Magister
Haba said:
Having loads of fun with the game, though somehow I have the nagging feeling that it is shorter than SR2... And many small details from SR2 are missing.

I am really hoping that more activities will be unlocked later, at the moment the game is just killing and killing more.
Yeah, over the next 40 weeks apparently.

[url=http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/222774/40-weeks-of-dlc-for-saints-row-the-third/:erpss0aj]Brian Farrell[/url] said:
"We're totally changing how we keep consumers engaged for a very long time," he said. "We intend to create an online digital ecosystem that keeps them interested for a year or more."

In the context of Saints Row: The Third, this means 40 weeks of downloadable content that will "grow and change the experience as the consumer engages with the game."
Haba said:
Where are all the races?
Haven't found any yet, I'm pretty sure they're not in game. Lots of diversions have been removed too. Seems that waiting a year or so for the all-DLC-in-a-box edition might be a good idea.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, it wouldn't be THQ without completely abusing the player with DLCs.

At least that insurance fraud diversion is still in, it's p. amusing.

Drug Trafficking was my favorite activity, I'm annoyed that it's missing but maybe it'll show up later as DLC. *Grumble*

Hey, it gave me characters like Laura and Tobias. And continued Luz's story, such as it was.

Haba said:
Drug Trafficking was my favorite activity, I'm annoyed that it's missing but maybe it'll show up later as DLC. *Grumble*

Drug Trafficking is in the game.

Huh, really?! I was going by NeoGaf's ginormous info thread and it didn't get mentioned in the 'returning' section.

Fucking awesome. Who are the folks you're riding with this time? Put it in spoiler tags if anybody cares.

Angthoron

Arcane
So I defeated the leader of the Deckers yesterday. Gotta say, that was a really neat mission, nice reference to the Tron universe and everything. Heck, it even had a text adventure (tiny) where you could get yourself killed in various ways and the protagonist would comment. The thing with the unicorn cracked me up. Don't forget to pet it or you'll miss it.

Anyway, it's a bit of a shame more missions aren't like this, but then, this one serves as proof that most game reviewers don't even fully play the game. No variation, my ass, after a mission like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom