Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Samurai and Ninja games

Your favorite samurai or ninja game?

• The Mysterious Murasame Castle

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Ninja Gaiden 1

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Ninja Gaiden 2

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Ninja Gaiden 3

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • The Revenge of Shinobi

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins

• Onimusha 1

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Onimusha 2

• Onimusha 3

• Way of the Samurai

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Shinobi

• Otogi: Myth of Demons

• Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Ninja Gaiden: Black

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Ninja Gaiden 2

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Blood Will Tell: Osuma Tezuka's Dororo

• Muramasa: The Demon Blade

• Aragami

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Nioh

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Nioh 2

• The Messenger

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

• Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time

• Total voters

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
jp1z1ec.jpg
Can't tell if "MUA-HAHAHAHA" laugh or "GAHHAHAHA" laugh

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Lords of the Rising Sun by Cinemaware on the Amiga :

Played the hell out of this back in the day. Never managed to kill an enemy general with the sword in the post-battle chase sequences. Always trampled them down with the horsy. Guy in the video can't do it either, so I believe it was simply not possible.

Last edited:

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

Update 3:

I have updated the original post, adding a bunch of games to the list. Here is what was added:
  • - Shadow Warrior series
  • - Afro Samurai
  • - Trek to Yomi

Update 4:

Minor update, I just added Rise of the Ronin to the original post on page 1.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lol, I was thinking about this thread the other day. I hope to add something soonish.

Ash

Arcane
OP brings dishonor to the samurai/ninja clan! Poll still doen't include Onimusha 4 nor Shadow Warrior, two very good games.

Edit: WTF no Tenchu 3 either? Shame on OP.

Last edited:

ind33d

Educated
i mean not including 2077 in a list of samurai games is just taking the piss

Modron

Arcane
OP brings dishonor to the samurai/ninja clan! Poll still doen't include Onimusha 4 nor Shadow Warrior, two very good games.

Edit: WTF no Tenchu 3 either? Shame on OP.
Complaining about console shiet when the op has ignored 8000 requests for Way of the Samurai.

I absolutely love medieval/renaissance Japan setting, but unfortunately there are very few games that really capture the atmosphere, like say a Kurosawa movie. Most games featuring this setting have the kind of gameplay that is not conducive to that, for example aRPGs/action games like Sekiro/Nioh, that focus too much on combat/bosses, or Shogun Total War 1/2 that focus too much on battles/strategy.

Ghost of Tsushima is probably the game that comes the closest to what I want, but since it's a PS exclusive, I can't play it.

What this setting really needs is an open world RPG in the vein of Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come: Deliverance, with a Kurosawa-like atmosphere and characters/events.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I absolutely love medieval/renaissance Japan setting, but unfortunately there are very few games that really capture the atmosphere, like say a Kurosawa movie. Most games featuring this setting have the kind of gameplay that is not conducive to that, for example aRPGs/action games like Sekiro/Nioh, that focus too much on combat/bosses, or Shogun Total War 1/2 that focus too much on battles/strategy.

Ghost of Tsushima is probably the game that comes the closest to what I want, but since it's a PS exclusive, I can't play it.

What this setting really needs is an open world RPG in the vein of Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come: Deliverance, with a Kurosawa-like atmosphere and characters/events.
Way of the samurai 3, played it?

Ghost of Tsushima is a slightly above average Ubishit openworld ordeal, which is to say it isn't engaging at all and you're not missing much by not playing it. It starts off fairly strongly but then just devolves into map "activities", including one-man-Ramboing various heavily fortified strongholds, which is about as un-Kurosawa as you can get.

The setting is good, the art is good, but at the end of the day it's just another soulless corporate grind mill.

Strig

Learned
There are a few very obvious games missing here.

Throne of Darkness

Sierra's Diablo clone that came out in 2001. I played it while going through Kurosawa's filmography again and it was a decent experience. I kind off want to replay it now.

04859.jpg

04865.png

04862.jpg

Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle

Fairly recent dungeon crawler in keeping with the spirit of the classics: first person, step movement, 90 degree turns. It allows the player to split the party. I haven't played it but it's supposedly not very good. Poor old Sinatar gave a fairly detailed description here.

b270ae2584c9a7dc8f6f462d5a68a940d826_1920xt1080_S1000.jpg

0ed4319e5cfba38f42422733a93e9e7c30b4_1920xt1080_S1000.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom