Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Samurai and Ninja games

Your favorite samurai or ninja game?

• The Mysterious Murasame Castle

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Ninja Gaiden 1

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Ninja Gaiden 2

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Ninja Gaiden 3

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • The Revenge of Shinobi

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins

• Onimusha 1

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Onimusha 2

• Onimusha 3

• Way of the Samurai

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Shinobi

• Otogi: Myth of Demons

• Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Ninja Gaiden: Black

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Ninja Gaiden 2

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Blood Will Tell: Osuma Tezuka's Dororo

• Muramasa: The Demon Blade

• Aragami

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Nioh

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Nioh 2

• The Messenger

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

• Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time

• Total voters

Jason Liang

Arcane
I didn't see the "Samurai" in the title earlier.

Thread is definitely missing Sengoku Rance and Slash! Thrust! Burn! then, not to mention Beat Blades Haruka (which are ninja).

Falksi

Arcane
Revenge of Shinobi easily wins it hands down for me. I've never been blown away as much as plugging that into my brand new Megadrive straight after unpacking it and witnessing that intro. Which was then backed up by an absolutely timeless game too, with the perfect blend of rocking tunes and pop culture film icons thrown in the mix. Shinobi 3 was damn fine too.

Ninja Gaiden games were cool, but not off the chart.

Tenchu: SA was OK, but didn't set my world alight either.

I wasn't half as impressed as most with Sekiro. Another OK game which contained some fun, but which didn't hook me big time either.

Nioh was good, but a bit too flawed to be the best. I've just started Nioh 2 so hopefully that's as good if not better.

Strider is a masterpiece, with some of the best stage design ever seen in a game. That runs Revenge of Shinobi a close second.

Last edited:

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Louis_Cypher, suggestion regarding text format/structure:

Titles are generally the 1st to be placed at the top which forms a viewing habit. The use of game's image before the title, can make it confusing in discerning/linking which image fit which text.

Or/and It is also suggested to add some lines to separate as i have often done.
This can lessen the confusion/mismatching at first glance ,when scrolling such long list or cross referencing specially when some of the images look similar to each other.

example:
==================
"title"
"text"
"image"
===================
"title"
"text"
"image"
===================
"so on and so forth"

Silentstorm

Learned
Looking at the list, all i ended up thinking was "Wait, Samurai Jack had a game, i remember watching the show ages ago!" and now honestly hoping it's not one of those licensed games that suck.

Also, vote goes for Revenge Of Shinobi, the 16-Bit Shinobi games are amazing, i did play some others like Sekiro but i am not as in love with From Software games as many people are, i will say, i have a partial love for Shadow Dancer on the Genesis/Mega Drive because of the dog, such a good boy and throwing them at foes is always great.

Though i will say if Mark Of The Ninja was there, it would get my vote.

Modron

Arcane
Add one more to the why isn't Sword of the Samurai on the poll crowd, it's one of the oldest games I go back to on occaision.

vota DC

Augur
I remember "The ninja" a game for sega master system. You had visual from above and you have a dedicated button (or was pressing two buttons?) to "disappear" for a brief time.

Falksi

Arcane
Played "Hagane" last night on the SNES. Glad that didn't make the list. Whilst not awful, it's not good either and it's Battletoad-esq racing levels are annoying as fuck. Avoid.

Also played 2009's Mini Ninjas too. Not a great game, but one which you can have some childish, simple fun with. Kind of game ideal to rear younglings up on.

AndyS

Augur
Way of the Samurai is my overall favorite. I remember starting it up and as soon as it let me control my character, I turned and went back up the road. I was amused to learn that "just turn around and don't even bother" counted as a proper ending to the game, just like all the others.

A couple of ancient arcade games to add to the list:

Samurai, by Sega (1980). Haven't played this one.

Samurai Nihon-Ichi (Japan's #1 Samurai???), by Taito (1985). This one I have played, although it must have been an import because I only saw it one arcade in the U.S. Just a fun side-scrolling game.

Kozure Okami, based on the Lone Wolf and Cub manga.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Sword of The Samurai
Zw

https://af.gog.com/game/sword_of_the_samurai?as=1649904300

Silentstorm

Learned
Can't believe Samurai Warriors isn't mentioned here, it's Koei-Tecmo's other Musou series, but rather than focusing on the Romance Of The Three Kingdoms, it's the Sengoku era and plenty of characters are samurais and ninjas who are one man armies, a bit more anime than Dynasty Warriors...particularly the latest game which is a reboot.

And then there is Warriors Orochi, which combines Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors thanks to Gods or supernatural beings messing with the timeline or multiverse, WO3 and 4 also have crossover characters, one of which is RYU HAYABUSA FROM NINJA GAIDEN, in WO3 he talks to many characters and he references events from the Xbox and Dead Or Alive games, apparently Ninja Gaiden 3 was just about to start when a damn portal opened and now he's next to various historical figures...and not caring because he's Ryu Hayabusa, i think WO4 is post Ninja Gaiden 3 and has him once again just meeting various historical figures.

I know they call him someone from another world, but i like to think Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors are thus canon to Ninja Gaiden and his world's history is filled with one man armies kicking ass during wars.

Also, Kiyomori is supposed to be some uber demon priest that through the storyline easily brainwashes even many strong willed and powerful warriors, is impossible to suprise and Gods sent divine help just so that the cast could have a chance...Ryu Hayabusa just manages to get near him without him noticing, flip around, destroy his barrier and never gets brainwashed because Ryu Hayabusa.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom