Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Satellite Reign - Syndicate Wars spiritual successor from original devs

Runciter

Augur
Steal money from the banks to fund your war against the corporations

What an outdated line of thinking; I can see this is going to borrow anachronisms from its predecessor. In the real world it would be so much more practical just to start your own bank and defraud the government/public for big £££

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Shameless plug from their Kickstarter page. Ingame footage looks promising.

A real-time, class-based strategy game, set in an open world cyberpunk city, from the creator of Syndicate Wars. <- Link

8642e9666996acff2a0694f0cc806477_large.jpg

Satellite Reign is a real-time, class-based strategy game. You control a team of four agents, each with distinct and unique abilities, collectively battling for control of a fully simulated, living cyberpunk city.

The game world is designed to facilitate emergent gameplay, giving you the tools and freedom to play how you want to play, so you can create strategies and scenarios that not even we had anticipated!

Customise your team with the strength to destroy your enemies head-on, or hack into their facilities to manipulate their infrastructure without them ever knowing you were even there.

Will you take down your enemies with brute-force? Covert espionage and infiltration? Or will you use propaganda to influence the citizens of the city and overthrow the controlling powers?
Satellite Reign will be released on Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

af8bd3cd175f573d037a30ae04401caa_large.jpg

The world's governments are controlled by mega-corporations, democracy to the highest bidder. Society is structured for the benefit of those in power. The poor exist in the dark squalid underbelly of the city, while the wealthy swim in opulence and luxury on the upper tiers, and the vast middle-class are too comfortable with their lives of convenience to see the world for what it really is. Corporate police patrol the streets, brutally maintaining the status quo, all under the guise of keeping the people safe.

The time for change is now, as a mysterious organisation rises from the slums of the city. They'll have to bribe, steal, hack and augment their way through the barriers between them and their ultimate goal...but what are they trying to achieve? To free the masses from the corporate stranglehold, or to take control for themselves? That, is up to you.

cb9923a51d66dd89f46a0d6389f2b6c9_large.jpg

d79cb58f6ad94e93743818e53e9c15fb_large.jpg

This is one big, open, living metropolis. The city isn't just a cool location (although it is pretty cool), it actually functions like a city; the streets are bustling with people by day, and controlled by criminal organisations by night. Power grids actually power the city, information and finances flow from one district to another, and you can use all of these things to your advantage.

The entire game-world is designed around emergent gameplay. Civilians, police and corporate soldiers will all react uniquely to your actions. Power conduits, communication networks and security systems are there for you to hijack, modify or destroy. Learn how the city and its inhabitants operate, then exploit them all to advance your agenda.

aab633c96768860066d5f451a6b0de69_large.jpg

d54f09ffa3330b03c8deb4f9659fab1c_large.jpg

The city is huge and you can move around and tackle objectives however you want to. You won't be spoon-fed one mission after another, you'll be able to use whatever means you can to get to your final goal. Bribe scientists to advance your technologies, and kidnap doctors to augment your agents. Steal money from the banks to fund your war against the corporations, and exploit neural implants to bend the will of others. Or, try to take your objectives through good old-fashioned brute-force.

aff56b27a62a0f93e6090db733af8715_large.jpg

3f1ac8540fc414cef841c2267a43ea20_large.jpg

Distinct character classes give you total control over how you approach a situation. Different classes with different combinations of augmentations, gear and weapons gives you the ability to customise your team and your experience.

0c0b152d0abba5ef8907b8e34bbb9b6a_large.jpg

3059f56a1f440d605d19de0fd5741c84_large.jpg

Not every problem is easily solved by shoving a gun in its face. Sometimes the situation requires a bit more subtlety, a bit more finesse. Try siphoning cash out of the corporate account, bribing a bank manager to “misplace” his security pass, or steal the identity of a corporate soldier to pass through security checkpoints unseen.

2c327c0543ec21323ae11551c09de4da_large.jpg

8d60ba369b2a08603ccedd197e371449_large.jpg

From our previous experience with the Unity Engine, we could look no further. Its flexibility, ease of use, and quick turnaround on development means less barriers between the creators and the creation.

678a120ddf2a5d6ac1d128e3d4442532_large.jpg

Its robust scripting system and one click approach to deployment allows us to simultaneously develop releases for Windows, Linux and Mac.

6b3a78401a192aa89d778604fa87c92f_large.jpg

e0e2f441b35f9cb3fdee0df2c7ef5008_large.jpg

20aaccf11d38a8b49edb20bd005d39c2_large.jpg

From Left to Right: Dean Ferguson, Chris Conte, Mitchell Clifford, Brent Waller and Mike Diskett.
5 Lives Studios is an independent developer. Our core team consists of five dedicated industry professionals with many years of experience. Not only are we all industry veterans, but we also have a long history of working together, allowing us to make games like a well-oiled machine. Some of us have worked together for nearly a decade! Collectively, we have worked on a wide range of genres and notable titles including the Syndicate series, GTA IV, Darksiders II, Star Wars, L.A. Noire, and many more.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I've never actually played much of Syndicate, but I think this sounds pretty good. Gonna wait a bit before I pledge, because I'm saving up money, but in this case I'm more leaning towards yes.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't care much about RTS's these days, but I pledged because I used to have a lot of fun with Syndicate and I like the way the game looks.

Hellraiser

Arcane
7184601347a0b772c86adc0f214483aa_large.jpg

I want to be a Lex Luthor? A pity you don't get to name a corp, within reason. If I were in the 1% I would totally give them the jewgold to Omniventures Inc. into the game.

Would happily pledge even a bare minimum amount if I were not broke. Accursed potato economy, stopping me from funding proper incline when the chance to do it appears.

Branm

Learned
Meh RTS? BUT Syndicate!!??? I had so much fun with that game back in the days....This will be my first kickstarter thats in pounds

yellowcake

Arcane
syndicate wars works faster in dosbox if you use dos32a.

There's huge performance difference depending on what graphics options you select, to the point of tripling or quadrupling CPU speed requirement between lowest and highest setting.
Low res works ok on 200 MHz cpu whereas to get the max setting fluid you need 600 - 700 MHz. The same for Magic Carpet, actually. Checked in actual iron a couple of weeks ago.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Wow, no physical stuff all over the place. $100 for the t-shirt and $500 for the artbook. Sounds... sensible.

Though I'd still pay for a box, but I guess having no physical stuff fits the theme better, heh.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, no physical stuff all over the place. $100 for the t-shirt and $500 for the artbook. Sounds... sensible.

Though I'd still pay for a box, but I guess having no physical stuff fits the theme better, heh.
And it is more cost effective for the devs.

Branm

Learned

Probably a good idea, going to help keep their costs down. Have to keep in mind their are located in Australia even though I doubt they would be shipping from there, but who knows.

Branm

Learned
I would kill for proper new Syndicate (Wars) but after early excitement, they need to unfold more to get my money. I see some modern AAA decline signals.

How so? I found the pitch to be pretty good pressing all the right buttons.

I do agree 100% that i need more info on combat but they have 30 days to come up with that :P

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I don't like that the last tier says "your face in the game as the evil corporate CEO".

Syndicate is about being the big faceless coropration, not sticking it to the man!

:decline:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I don't like that the last tier says "your face in the game as the evil corporate CEO".

This, unfortunately.

Syndicate is about being the big faceless coropration, not sticking it to the man!

:decline:

I have to admit that their spiel about an organisation rising among the poor kinda reminds me of Syndicate Wars' Church of the New Epoch (though the Church only prominently recruited among the poor, of course). I still prefered to play as the faceless EuroCorp executive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom