Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Satellite Reign - Syndicate Wars spiritual successor from original devs

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't like that the last tier says "your face in the game as the evil corporate CEO".

Syndicate is about being the big faceless coropration, not sticking it to the man!

:decline:

Well, according to what they've said you can stick it to the man and then become the man.

Branm

Learned
"Went to bed at 20K pledges woke up at 60K, you people are awesome, thanks for being fans of a classic game and helping us make satellite Reign.
Just a couple of quick answers before I get a coffee in me and prepare the proper faq.
We want to be on Steam and GOG and will be speaking to them now we have something to show, but we can confirm there will be a DRM free version of the game.
Console ports are super expensive and we are totally designing this game for PC, you will need a mouse! WiiU would be interesting with the gamepad but its not our focus right now and we don't want to be distracted."

Well after hearing a bunch of people mention atrocities like WII U and XboX 1 this comment from devs was nice to read :P

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Very interesting. This is definately the best (initial) kickstarter pitch I've seen. Never played the original games but will pledge for one of the lower tiers.

spectre

Arcane
Hold right there, criminal scum:

CAPACITOR TIER:
In game support team - money in bank scientists on staff!

Yay for selling cheat codes on preorder. Kinda sullied the overall positive image I've had thus far.
I'll stay my boner until more is known about the actual combat, but all in all, I welcome a new cyberpunk-themed tactical game, though not sure if they won't fuck it up by trying to improve too much.

Branm

Learned
Sigh this really slowed down...Shame I think this is one of the best pitches I have seen on kickstarter.

Pretty pathetic when Double FIne can come to kickstarter with nothing and get 1.3m....Bah

AstroZombie

Arcane
Sigh this really slowed down...Shame I think this is one of the best pitches I have seen on kickstarter.

Pretty pathetic when Double FIne can come to kickstarter with nothing and get 1.3m....Bah

Not enough smiling nonsense and Tim Schafer, I guess.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
They need to get solid updates out asap and get to the gaming websites.

spectre

Arcane
I don't like that the last tier says "your face in the game as the evil corporate CEO".

Syndicate is about being the big faceless coropration, not sticking it to the man!

Well, according to what they've said you can stick it to the man and then become the man.

I'm really hoping for some kind of a plot twist there along these lines. I realize that playing as the evil corporation is probably not gonna cut it in 2013, but it just fells wrong, as if you were to play Syndicate Wars with just the Church of the New Epoch.

Destroid

Arcane
Yeah I wasn't too into the revolutionary feel they were pushing in the video, much prefer the original take where you are simply another faceless corp carving out as much pie as you can get.

Branm

Learned
I do agree but cmon they are still giving that choice other then that you will replace the big corp. I mean when is giving you extra choices a bad thing?? We would get an open city, and a hell of a lot more ways to potentially solve things. Why remake the exact same game as from 93 when todays tech has no issues giving you CHOICES?

Fuck....Syndicate is an Amiga game, do you really only want just a remake?? Whats wrong with choices and different ways to solve things other then guns blazing? Syndicate truly one of my all time favorite childhood games but choices common that's the ONE thing along with more in depth tactical combat that the originals lacked.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Having more tactical options and playing as an evil corp are not mutually exclusive.

I'm backing this barring anything stupid like console versions or "social elements", but I still have some reservations.

spectre

Arcane
Fuck....Syndicate is an Amiga game, do you really only want just a remake?? Whats wrong with choices and different ways to solve things other then guns blazing? Syndicate truly one of my all time favorite childhood games but choices common that's the ONE thing along with more in depth tactical combat that the originals lacked.
The originals were always glorified point-and-click action games. Labeling them as anything remotely similar to a strategy game always felt like pushing it, in my opinion. Unless we're going to play pretend that Cannon Fodder is tactical strategy.
That said, I think it's a good and logical direction for the game to take.
Also, please put that straw man away, nobody bitches about choices, it's about getting a game that is still recognizable as the syndicate we know and love. Both Syndicate and Wars had you play the anti-hero, I don't think it's asking too much to have this feeling preserved.

m_s0

Arcane

It's already taken. So, is it going to be Notch, Dengler or that guy from Razer? :M

They should limit this crap to fairly insignificant characters and any recognizable face should be a no-go. I hope that it's just a random guy with 5k to spend, though I'd much prefer the faceless option as well. Fits the setting better and ensures I won't be rallying men against MojangCorp.

Having said that, the game still sounds interesting, especially the bits about emergent gameplay and simulation.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
after the streamlining of shadowrun, i kinda wanna know exactly what the tactical combat is gonna be before i put money down
What's wrong with Shadowrun, turn based combat and shit. Seems ok. Even more than ok if we recall that original was real time popamole without pause.

Branm

Learned
For what its worth i asked how tactical combat would be in a PM:

5 Lives Studios
Friday Jun 28 2013, 7:47pm EDT
Yeah No DRM, and hopefully a steam version for those who like steam.
The combat system will likely be more tactical than either game, I have a few personal gripes with the combat on both games that I want to address.
Thanks for the feedback.
.MikeD

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
after the streamlining of shadowrun, i kinda wanna know exactly what the tactical combat is gonna be before i put money down
What's wrong with Shadowrun, turn based combat and shit. Seems ok. Even more than ok if we recall that original was real time popamole without pause.
Sadly the devs had to cut some features, probably because of lack of funds. Some took that as dumbing down the game, despites the fact that for 1 million dollar it's looking to be a pretty good crpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom