Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Savegame limitations?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Pentium, Jul 25, 2021.

?

Should there be any savegame limitations in RPG games?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2021.
  1. Yes, I'm a die-hard RPG specky nerd, save scumming is lame

24.4%
  2. No, wtf I'm a casual crybaby, let me save anytime I want

49.6%
  3. Who needs saves anyway? I always play games in a trice with a pile of Red Bull cans

1.5%
  4. RPG games are crap anyway

23.7%
  1. otsego Cipher

otsego
    This is totally incorrect. The game establishes the rules and boundaries and the player has fun working within those boundaries. Using a cheat engine goes outside of those boundaries, which of course is also fun otherwise the cheats wouldn't exist, but is an extra once you've had time with the boundaries already established.

Who wants to start off any game with the ability to fly across mountains and kill enemies with a single blow? No one. Until they've already played it 'normally' several times over.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Peachcurl Learned

Peachcurl
    Magic makes things too easy in games. Remove magic. Magic is cheating.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    So you're saying that saving is indeed part of the game's rules and therefore games are balanced around the idea that players will savescum?
    Thanks.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. otsego Cipher

otsego
    Yes and no. I understand the argument of 'well if you always want the best outcome why not just put on a cheat that guarantees it', but sometimes you don't always want that outcome and the (save) system lets you choose it, which allows for some variation within the boundaries of the game as you want to play it. I don't see that as inherently bad, though I'd still argue games that are so random that they actively encourage save-scumming have some design issues.

Rogue-likes aside.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Games never design routes other than success ones because they know cheaters(AKA casuals/codexers) will just savescum everytime they fail.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. otsego Cipher

otsego
    Agreed that designers don't plan for routes of failure (for the most part). Disagree that savescumming is the reason for this design. If that was true then there would be no failure at all. Problem is even if they give an option of failure, there is no interesting outcome other than you lose something. Which also isn't inherently bad. But a casual does not like failing to get the cookie at the end of the trail.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    Then don't use saves.
    :smug:

^ Top  
  8. BING XI LAO FREE KALIN! Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Potentially interesting topic that deserves better than rusty's one-liners.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    You know what would be interesting? Allowing the computer opponents to savescum.

Imagine an RPG where part of the fun is not killing the enemies ('cause they'll savescum), but crushing their will to fight (i.e. making them ragequit instead).

• Creative Creative x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Gargaune Cipher

Gargaune
    Been done.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. BING XI LAO FREE KALIN! Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Techno Union Obvious alt

Techno Union
    Ah, yes, let's turn every choice into a Russian roulette that results in things that no sane person could have predicted. Did you say "Be more confident" to a guy in the early game? Too bad, now you can never remove the curse from the undead witch-queen in the consumed elven ruins. Butterfly effect, amirite? Lulz.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Gargaune Cipher

Gargaune
    Techno Union, you seem familiar somehow... Are you the artist formerly known as Auraculum?

^ Top  
  14. Techno Union Obvious alt

Techno Union
    [​IMG]

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Azdul Augur

Azdul
    You've defeated a high level boss through cheap tactics and now you wear his shiny armor - people will notice it and may want to steal it for themselves.
    You've acquired something valuable through deception and lies - people will be more careful when making business with you.
    You've got caught stealing - NPC will be more likely to offer you lucrative illegal job.

The quest results should not be just +1000 XP, +500 GP. Not everyone will be happy about your heroic deeds. For example - saving heir to the throne is the worst thing that could happen for the guy next in succession line.

^ Top  
  16. Techno Union Obvious alt

Techno Union
    And if I defeat a high level boss through expensive tactics and wear his shiny armor - people won't notice it and won't try to steal it for themselves?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    alternative is oblivion: use expensive tactics to obtain mithril armor only to be mugged by some ruffian with glass set

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    You are lvl 20 in Oblivion and Ambrose the Robber Kitten in full glass armour demands 10 gold from you or death.

EDIT: ninjaed by a determined poster.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Pentium Learned

Pentium
    Show Spoiler
    NPCKill()
    {
    if(NPCDeaths > 1000)
    {
    instaSpawn = false;
    NPCSay ("Fuck you, bitch! Eat shit n kill ur mom n rape ur grandpa, anus fisting mothafucka African American!");​
    }
    else
    NPCDeaths++;​
    }

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Are you implying that more xp and loot is somehow a bad thing? Bro, do you even RPG?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Cool. Now we need to invent a way to have computer opponents buy games, and we're set.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    Looking at the world at this moment....i wouldn't be surprised if that happens. We do have bullshit magic coins like bitcoin and endless growth muh economy delusions,so it sounds pretty rational compared to that shit lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Azdul Augur

Azdul
    RPG is more fun when DM is an asshole.

Low level player should suspect that the invisibility ring with infinite charges was clearly intended for someone more powerful. And player won't resist the temptation of using it to get out of embarassing social situation.

At this point it does not matter that you have a save just before acquiring the ring. You'll stick to your choice and try to take advantage of poor Nazguls pathfinding - to get to the ferry before them.

^ Top  
  25. Sinatar Arbiter

Sinatar
    The developers may be confident enough in their game's stability that they think it won't crash in between save spots.

I'm not so confident. Fuck your console gimmicky save systems and just let me save the fucking game when and where I want. If some tryhard wants to go ironman and have some save limitations there is nothing stopping them from doing that.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.