Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Savegame limitations?

Should there be any savegame limitations in RPG games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Codex Year of the Donut
Let players players play the way they want.

Can't imagine why RPGs are in decline.

They're in decline because they no longer allow players to play the way they want.

"Thanks" to your design philosophy we have level-scaled loot, level-scaled enemies and meaningless stats because SOMEONE might get powerful too early and ruin HIS game.

Is Oblivion better than Morrowind, because they got rid of alchemy, spellcrafting and enchanting exploits or is it worse because they removed the option to experiment with the game and it's various tools?

Is Fallout 3 better than Fallout 1 because I'm forced to follow a lengthy MQ to get Power Armor training and the option to face the final antagonist or is it worse because I'm always forced to follow it?
"bro just let me play how I want, I want to be able to go through the game without difficulty or consequences!!!! I am NOT THE ONE RUINING RPGS!!!"

holy fucking cope
just go read a book or something, it's clear you guys don't actually want to play a game that has coherent rules

Codex Year of the Donut
Decline began when PC manual saves had been replaced with console checkpoints. There is significant temporal correlation.
ah yes, those manual PC saves like when you had to go to the inn to save
Like in Ultima Underworld, Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock, etc.
all of those had console releases, nice argument

older games often required you to go to the inn(or somewhere similar) and sign into a guestbook to save

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Rusty, if you fail and restart the game this is equivalent to cheating. You have to live with the consequence of your fail. You cannot reverse it by restarting the game from the beginning. You have to unistall it and never play it again. Developer should remove "restart" from the game menu, because it is a cheat.

Codex Year of the Donut
Rusty, if you fail and restart the game this is equivalent to cheating. You have to live with the consequence of your fail. You cannot reverse it by restarting the game from the beginning. You have to unistall it and never play it again. Developer should remove "restart" from the game menu, because it is a cheat.
now we're getting somewhere
nice goalpost moving btw

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
nice goalpost moving btw
I am just following your reasoning.

Alphons

Cipher
"bro just let me play how I want, I want to be able to go through the game without difficulty or consequences!!!! I am NOT THE ONE RUINING RPGS!!!"

bro, let's remove any options in how you want to play, because someone might exploit it

Is Fallout 76 a better RPG than Fallout 1 because you can't save and reload?

Codex Year of the Donut
nice goalpost moving btw
Are you ready to argue why most early RPGs were in fact decline because they typically did not allow you to save anywhere?
Even the early Ultimas only allowed you to quit & save. Wow, that was pure decline! Modern save anywhere and screw the consequences is just so much incline!

Codex Year of the Donut

bro, let's remove any options in how you want to play, because someone might exploit it

Is Fallout 76 a better RPG than Fallout 1 because you can't save and reload?
cope
you are a decline-enabler and solely responsible for the reason RPGs suck, deal with it

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
WTF what's restart? You go and finish the game without spoilers (well trying to find game bugs that would cause problems isn't spoiler, these unpatched hiccups WOULD FUCK YOU UP), preferably in one go, and then you create a save for new game + or if you would wanna to look at some parts again few years later.

It's simple easy and works. Otherwise story wouldn't feel as fresh and surprising. Yea P3 FES was hairy, especially these bosses in Tartarus. But aside me finding by accident that stuff I got from enemy few battles away protects against insta kill, it was quite doable.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
nice goalpost moving btw
Are you ready to argue why most early RPGs were in fact decline because they typically did not allow you to save anywhere?
Even the early Ultimas only allowed you to quit & save. Wow, that was pure decline! Modern save anywhere and screw the consequences is just so much incline!
You seems to live in your personal world. The overwhelming majority of games that have save limitations have not "quit and save". Games with "quit & save" are very rare, and even if they have it, you usually respawn from the nearest checkpoint. Games where you can restart exacly where you left the game are even more rarer.

Codex Year of the Donut
nice goalpost moving btw
You seems to live in your personal world. The overwhelming majority of games that have save limitations have not "quit and save". Games with "quit & save" are very rare, and even if they have it, you usually respawn from the nearest checkpoint. Games where you can restart exacly where you left the game are even more rarer.
Games that have "quit & save" are rare because you can just save anywhere, anytime without any limitation due to decline enablers(you)

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
WTF what's restart? You go and finish the game without spoilers (well trying to find game bugs that would cause problems isn't spoiler, these unpatched hiccups WOULD FUCK YOU UP), preferably in one go, and then you create a save for new game + or if you would wanna to look at some parts again few years later.

It's simple easy and works. Otherwise story wouldn't feel as fresh and surprising. Yea P3 FES was hairy, especially these bosses in Tartarus. But aside me finding by accident that stuff I got from enemy few battles away protects against insta kill, it was quite doable.
I am extrapolating the reasoning of
nice goalpost moving btw
Games that have "quit & save" are rare because you can just save anywhere, anytime without any limitation due to decline enablers(you)
Wake up.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I explained what I use saving and reloading for, you keep calling it cheating.

I guess I'll just have to go with fantadomat on this one and call you a retarded American.
you want to cheat and not have to experience the consequences of your choices when you find out you don't like the consequences
why not just play something other than RPGs if you don't actually like RPGs?

I notice there's a massive overlap of people who think disco communism is an RPG(it's not) and people who want to cheat in RPGs
:smug:
I cheat in everything,life is too short to waste time on bullshit when i could cut corners and get ahead in life. Now imagine being such a sad loser that thinks not using saves in games is some kind of achievement in life,and people that use saves are losers.....buahahahahahaha lol.
:positive:
Git gud you dumb kwan!

CabbageHead

Novice
How about this: developer separate the savegame/cheat/DECLINE ENABLER option on a free DLC. With this people who want to have fun have the option to do so and tryhard/hardcore gamers™/true RPG enjoyer can have some degree of separation between them and the sinful temptation of savescum.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
How about this: developer separate the savegame/cheat/DECLINE ENABLER option on a free DLC. With this people who want to have fun have the option to do so and tryhard/hardcore gamers™/true RPG enjoyer can have some degree of separation between them and the sinful temptation of savescum.
How about this: you don't savescum.

Can't handle the bacon

Let players players play the way they want.
I want to play as a five-headed lovecraftian gender-monster, and any RPG that does not enable this option is therefore shit.

Let me play how I want to play, bigots.

Can't handle the bacon

No. A game that isn't designed around a specific set of rules is either going to be shit at most of the options it offers except for the "real way it's meant to be played" (which in your example clearly entails save-scumming), or it's just going to be shit at all of them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
just go read a book or something, it's clear you guys don't actually want to play a game that has coherent rules

WE set the rules.

I love how he keeps saying "Games aren't books!!" but then he opposes the idea that players can play how they want :lol:

Which is it? Player freedom or forcing players to play the RIGHT way?

Codex Year of the Donut

WE set the rules.

I love how he keeps saying "Games aren't books!!" but then he opposes the idea that players can play how they want :lol:

Which is it? Player freedom or forcing players to play the RIGHT way?
The right way to play is my way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom