Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Virgil Brummond

Educated
As per Companyhouse data the put options could be exercised in 2024Q1, 2025Q1 and 2018Q1. So they didn't have an "early" exit opportunity, unless the investment in the US side of the company had some additional clauses (which may or may not be true).

Chris Roberts releases a new rap video to promote star citizen:

ropetight

Savant
This guy gave more on the hardware than on Star Citizen.
He built his mancave cockpit for playing DCS, Star Citizen and other sims.

Then he built better one

Build videos playlist - mostly woodwork, 3D printing, lots of cable management and gluing.

Perkel

Arcane
Server meshing (jesus tech) working in public test.

1 Server was handling planets and space around them and 2nd one was handling rest (space, moons etc). Seems like they are further than anyone predicted. They run 200 people in one system (vs normal 100). They will be doing more tests saturday/sunday with more servers per one system and testing higher player counts as well.

Server FPS also was really good. In almost all streams i saw it was 20-30fps vs 5-10fps normally. With 4 servers they will probably be able to lock 30fps

There was ton of crashes and bugs which was expected for early preview and server recovery worked half of the time. Weirdly unlike all previous server recovery tests server recovery in this server meshing test took sometimes dozens of seconds instead of 2-3 minutes. Which makes sense in case of crash server has to load into memory everything that was lost with less load per server it means faster server recovery.

The main part of server meshing aka handling of cross server interaction worked flawlessly and you wouldn't notice if you just crossed server in middle of gunfight:

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
6ybq2i9la4qc1.png

800 people now and 6 servers in one system.
Tomorrow they will probably do something like 10 servers and cross 1000 people and will finish testing for now.
Next major goal to test probably next week or two will be splitting one location into several servers and testing it like that.

I wonder with test going so well if they will go directly to work on dynamic server meshing without releasing static version to people.

They have server meshing but they still can't seem to understand how basic inertia in space works.

By default every ship or EVA uses coupled mode where you "stop" if you don't apply force with counter thrusters. You can switch to decoupled mode though which gives you no stop and proper inertia.

Either way SC isn't full sim and they don't go for orbital mechanics as om can't support normal pew pew gameplay nor proper combat.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Having trouble following what you are saying.

6 servers for one system and 1000 players in working space combat doesnt sound too bad apart from needing 600 servers for 100 systems.

Is that what is happening though? 1000 people dogfighting/trading/doing missions/etc?

Perkel

Arcane
Having trouble following what you are saying.
6 servers for one system and 1000 players in working space combat doesnt sound too bad apart from needing 600 servers for 100 systems.
Is that what is happening though? 1000 people dogfighting/trading/doing missions/etc?

Yup seamless gameplay in a way that you don't see when you arrive at new server. You can shoot from one server guy on other server as if you would both be on same server. For now 800 but tomorrow they will probably reach 1000+ and end testing.

There are two versions of their technology.

Static Server Meshing - which is what they are currently testing. Like "static" name suggest CIG decides how many servers populate one system by hand which is very inefficient $$$ wise and has hard limits.
Dynamic Server Meshing - End game goal for their networking tech. CIG doesn't set anything manually. Servers are dynamically assigned where they are needed the most. Very efficient $$$ wise and has no limits

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Well I'll believe it when I see it. I have, after all, been wanting to play what I paid for for more than a decade now. A working game (in a form close to what was advertised) would be better than losing 40 quid, which is what I assumed had come to pass.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
By default every ship or EVA uses coupled mode where you "stop" if you don't apply force with counter thrusters. You can switch to decoupled mode though which gives you no stop and proper inertia.
I wasn't talking about the ships.

You are rather unobservant.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
A hojillion, or maybe even a brazillian servers to host this thing. Subscription cost of $100/mo. to pay for traffic fees, required to actually use the $100,000 of jpegs you've "purchased" over the past decade or so.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeahhh... "working" is a way to put it I guess.

It is working as intended.

This was very early FIRST public test for this tech. It was obvious it will be buggy but in fact it was much more stable than 99% people predicted.
Pretty much most of the crashes and bugs came from using old pre-polish version of 3.22 that was moreover gutted for servermeshing stability rather than game stability and people still managed to play for hours in some cases.

The other half of your videos are showing what happens at the boundary between planet and space in star citizen which doesn't have anything to do with server meshing. This is how 99% of space games that allow rotating/moving planets handle such things. If they didn't do it like that players would have to learn advanced physics to understand orbital mechanics which is something unplayable for nearly all people.

Stuff "vanishes" moving into planet boundary not because server meshing doesn't work but because planet rotates fast and the moment bullet or something falls into that physical grid its "rest" changes to that of rotation factor of planet. In one video at some moon where rotation is slower you can actually see player moving horizontally ultra fast.

Just to compare Earth rotation at surface is around 1600km/h at the point in space where SC players join it would be multitudes of that and that's with 24 hour rotation. SC planets are around 1/6 in size which would make them slower in rotation but they rotate much faster as whole day and night is very short going from hour to two which means we are talking her about 10 000km/s range of rotational speed.

Alternative to that are non rotating/moving planets which players don't want or using orbital mechanics which players are too dumb to learn or use which would make PEW PEW gameplay impossible.

Only reason why it was even discovered and recorded is that servermeshing is covering whole planet grid and when player switches server you can see it in log. That boundary layer is so far away from normal gameplay that 99.999999999999% don't know it exist in first place and how it works.

You can actually see some players knowing that and moving to poles of planet where rotation is non existent to test server meshing and there it works correctly without planet rotation messing things up.

Myobi

Liturgist
Expecting it to be buggy and intending it to be buggy are two very different things my dude.

Also, yeah, a pre-polish version of the base tech required for a video game that has been in development for 13 years now... mother fucking glaciers are melting faster than this game is being developed.

NwNgger

Educated
I've been salty about the game for a while now. But the tech seems to be working and iterated upon. The tech needs to work before you polish it. Your favourite shitty pre soviet eurojank is less stable than this. Are people actually unhappy that CIG are delivering on a promise? I was expecting the server meshing to be complete vaporware they'd string people along on so to see it working in any capacity is more than I thought possible.

Perkel

Arcane
Expecting it to be buggy and intending it to be buggy are two very different things my dude.

Also, yeah, a pre-polish version of the base tech required for a video game that has been in development for 13 years now... mother fucking glaciers are melting faster than this game is being developed.

It was expected and intended to be buggy. With each test they increased amount of server and player count to get tech to its breaking point.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think I'm in a similar boat as NwNgger . The story of this cruise of hopes and dreams lasted for a while. I initially was somewhat miffed about investment fund's worth of money being wasted on a Freelancer MMO. This annoyance quickly turned into shadenfreude, though. And after an additional few years I couldn't help but start feeling some sort of "wonder what the class retard will come up with today" attachment to this whole grift. Having expected absolutely nothing from the project and seeing it being used as a space for technical ideas to develop started to make me low-key root for this whole mess.

Myobi

Liturgist
I've been salty about the game for a while now. But the tech seems to be working and iterated upon. The tech needs to work before you polish it. Your favourite shitty pre soviet eurojank is less stable than this. Are people actually unhappy that CIG are delivering on a promise? I was expecting the server meshing to be complete vaporware they'd string people along on so to see it working in any capacity is more than I thought possible.
Server Meshing wasn't vaporware. Server Meshing already existed and has been applied to video games before:

https://papermc.io/ & https://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/about-spigot/

...are a few examples of modders that have made it with Minecraft.

The problem is rendering, Star Citizen players are already struggling to render an empty city with high end PCs, sure its still poorly optimized, but there is only so much a good optimization can do, besides let's not forget that Star Citizen game engine is a Frankenstein version of CryEngine, that said, what's the point of having "thousands" of players sharing the same zones then?

It was expected and intended to be buggy.

Don't go full retard on me now, we already have A Lard Ass for that.

If you are developing software for a profit, you don't want it to be broken regardless the stage of development.

Perkel

Arcane
It was expected and intended to be buggy.

Don't go full retard on me now, we already have A Lard Ass for that.

If you are developing software for a profit, you don't want it to be broken regardless the stage of development.

If you intend to test stuff you made for purpose X you want in testing people to break it as much as they can so you can see strees points are. That's engineering 101. You want as much data as possible because with more people those problems will surface either way.

Myobi

Liturgist
If you intend to test stuff you made for purpose X you want in testing people to break it as much as they can so you can see strees points are. That's engineering 101. You want as much data as possible because with more people those problems will surface either way.

Perkel, buddy... did you... did you buy an Idris recently?

You want them to find what's broken, doesn't necessarily mean you want it to be broken, if it ain't broken, it doesn't require fixing, that's money and time saved, you can move the fuck on with development, but I guess it's different with Star Citizen, explains a lot actually, the game is taking forever due all the time and effort put into making sure the fucking thing is just broken as fuck just so that you mother fuckers are actually able to find broken shit to somehow justify the thousands of dollars spent to do software testing for them.

I held the line
rating_salute.gif

I answered the call

Perkel

Arcane

You want them to find what's broken, doesn't necessarily mean you want it to be broken, if it ain't broken, it doesn't require fixing, that's money and time saved, you can move the fuck on with development

I have news for you. If developer releases BETA he doesn't do that because he wants people to play something. He does that because he wants to collect data on issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom