Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Scathing DNF review at Gamespot

Shannow

Waster of Time
Darth Roxor said:
In related news:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... eviews.ars

"Too many went too far with their reviews...we are reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom," the company tweeted. "Bad scores are fine. Venom filled reviews...that's completely different," another tweet read.

Hahahaha, oh wow.
"In 12 years, when we start our next hype-campaign, you won't be getting any of our sweet ads. You'll have to survive till then by bringing some standards to gaming journalism and building a reputation for integrity... Muahahahahaha, sorry losers!"

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, sales are not that bad looking actually. Duke topped sales charts in the UK, we will have to wait and see how it sells overall. It could well be a SLAMDUNK. Or, more likely, scatdunk.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Malakal said:
Well, sales are not that bad looking actually. Duke topped sales charts in the UK, we will have to wait and see how it sells overall. It could well be a SLAMDUNK. Or, more likely, scatdunk.
I suppose hype and waiting so long will pull many early sales, till talk about its "quality" gets around. Then it'll have to compete based on that.

MCA
Amount of people who read all these things like we do is a fraction compared to the retailer buyer out there who simply hears about the sequel to the game of his childhood soon to be released and then goes out to buy it when it comes out.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Amount of retailer buyer is a fraction compared to the interwebs thieves out there who simply hears about the sequel to the game of his childhood soon to be released and then goes out to download it when it comes out.

UserNamer said:
I just realized that duke nukem forever is acting a scapegoat for all the failing of most modern console style shooters.... I mean people is singling this game out, myself included, but I don't think it is any shittier than most fps that follow this corridor formula.

No it actually is shittier than most recent console shooters. But perhaps by not as much as differences between review scores would indicate. There are lots of recent shooters who got 8s and 9s when they deserve only 5s or 6s. DNF getting 3 from gamespot is actually right, at least for once.
"Scapegoat" is about right though, it's like critics finally got a break and can actually, uh.. criticize the game. Finally a game that is cool too hate on!

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I really can't tell if it's any better or worse than any other modern shooters. I uninstalled both Call of Duty 4 and Crysis 2 after a couple of hours of playing. This one I've played for about as long and it's still on my computer.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
IGN isn't much kinder.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1175639p1.html

Wow it looks like this game really does suck. Ironically, if it had come out a few years after it was started, it probably would have been decent, as the aesthetics of the first game were still in favor. It looks like all the extra time actually made this game SHITTIER. I never would have believed that would happen.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I don't think they put a lot of effort into the game. As someone mentioned, they probably picked it up and packaged the parts together, did a few updates, and figured it would sell on the old hype alone (which it probably did).

That said, at a fundamental level of just actual gameplay I don't really see that big of a difference between it and, say, the Crysis 2 my mate was playing on his PS3 other than its extremely repetitive saying of "Cloak Engaged" is replaced with some immature Duke phrases.

xemous

Arcane
crysis 2 is shit i bet that got 90/100 from those faggots. i couldn't stand 15minutes of that garbage.

MCA
Mighty Mouse said:
Amount of retailer buyer is a fraction compared to the interwebs thieves out there who simply hears about the sequel to the game of his childhood soon to be released and then goes out to download it when it comes out.

Cool story bro. Next time, try to make your, uh, "argument", relevant to the subject, though, which in this case was the driving power behind sales, not "TPB downloads". But here's an arsenic cookie for the effort with the hope that you will grow brain cells.

From what I can tell the reviewers basically have to reach an unofficial consensus before deciding on their review score. That is, if every reviewer but you decided to review DNF as 90+ and you gave it a 70, you are fucked. On the other hand, if every reviewer decides to nit-pick and give it a 60 while you give it a 40 you don't stick out at all and the game just gets written off as a loss. So in the end, there is a lot of demand for the whole group to hand out mostly the same score range no matter what.

With DNF, you can easily subtract points for "dated gameplay design" or whatever the fuck you want to pretend DNF suffers from even though its the same FPS that has been released 50x in the last decade. Throw in some mildly bad textures and WTF SHIT GAME -70 points.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
villain of the story said:
Mighty Mouse said:

Cool story bro. Next time, try to make your, uh, "argument", relevant to the subject, though, which in this case was the driving power behind sales, not "TPB downloads". But here's an arsenic cookie for the effort with the hope that you will grow brain cells.
Cookie cookie good enough for me.

Santander02

Arcane
That IGN review is as awful as the game itself seems to be

Duke Nukem Forever isn't a revitalization of the early days of the first-person shooter genre or a middle-finger to the increasingly complex and sophisticated nature of videogame entertainment.

CODMW2 is complex and sophisticated while DNF is a callback to old 90s games that were childish and superficial :roll:

DN3D was one of the games that got me into gaming, sad to see that icon turn to shreds

JaySn

Educated
But it's Duke Nukem, guys! It can't be bad.

It can't be bad.

It can't be bad.

It can't be bad.

It can't be bad.

It can't be bad.

:oops:

MikeJahn

Educated
More than anything I think people who have been waiting for it aren't disappointed in it compared to modern games but rather compared to Duke Nukem 3D (which was better in every way).

Esquilax

Arcane
I think that a lot of people were hoping that DNF would be an old-school throwback to classic FPS gaming with a lot of additions and improvements to Duke's base gameplay, rather than going the Call of Duty route. Now that CoD clones are pretty much everywhere, it's getting to the point where even the mainstream is getting kinda sick of them and want a breath of fresh air. The irony here is that if 3D Realms didn't decide to cow-tow to modern gaming trends and decided to create an innovative, old-school shooter that expanded on the original gameplay, they would have gotten far more respect and accolades.

Then again, if they did that, the game wouldn't have taked 14 fuckin' years to release.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I played it a bit and well... its not very good at all. Graphics are horrible, gameplay consists of shooting unappealing weapons into dumb aliens, the only thing that makes it even a bit acceptable are jokes but those are bad too. Gotta have to try it some more, but loading times are horrible too.

Such a pity. I loved me some multiplayer deathmatches in DN3D.

JaySn

Educated
Two more hours and I can attempt to navigate its described horrors personally. Assuming my assuredly legal copy doesn't have any flaws . . .

Can you jump, Malakal? Is there destructible portions of levels? Is there nudity?! God damnit, man, is there nudity or not?*

*Owned a PlayStation AO-rated Duke Nukem that promised awesome adult-only situations and gave terrible gameplay as a third-person shooter without even a hint inappropriateness.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Jumping is possible but not really needed unless (easy) puzzles demand it. There is no real nudity (not worse than Bloodlines anyway) but some implied situation are present (implied blowjob for example).

Because every (mainstream) review of this I have read has been complete and utter shit that can't make heads nor tails of why this is a bad game....SPERGIN TIME!

*Initial Impressions*

So I got some time with this. It's not good, not at all. Basically it feels like Call of Duty crossed with Quake 4, somehow selecting for most of the worst traits of both as a result of this union.

Oddly enough, the game starts out decently, pitting Duke against an old-school FPS boss monster with a big gun. You're dodging, strafing, and shooting a lot of rockets at a bad guy in a big arena to electric guitars. Classic stuff. Good stuff. Sure, he's pretty easy, but he's the first fight, and not a bad way to start things off, all things considered. The game takes a sharp nosedive after you deplete it's health bat however, as you soon find out it doesn't explode in a gory death animation to a witty catchphrase.

Nothing like, say....this:
cybr0.gif

Nope...the monster falls to its knees, starts glowing, and requires you to do a button mashing quick time event in which you finish it off in gory fashion. How I hate the gaming press for lionizing this design feature around 04 with the double whammy of Resident Evil 4 and God of War, both being heavily driven by quick-time-events, and being lauded for it. It's around this time, Duke Nukem Forever shits the bed. Here I realize the opening fight was just a heavy dose of spices to cover up the rancid taste of a game gone bad from over-extended development. And no...it doesn't get better for Duke.

What follows is a sequence laden with cutscenes, "minigames", a lot of exposition (mostly crap), and not a whole lot of shooting. I can't recall exactly, but I don't believe you even get a hold of a gun until 20 minutes have elapsed into the first episode. That's not a good thing for an FPS to do, at least if you want it to be well paced. Even after you get access to weapons, they are a dinky pistol and a lame alien laser. You don't even get much use of them before having to slog through 10 minutes of turret shooting, followed by 20 minutes of shrunken Duke driving around linear corridors in a toy truck. Fun. Finally, you are returned to normal size and grab yourself a boomstick. Now the good stuff starts, right?

Nope. The game just rears it's ugly "next-gen" head. The first fight, post-shotgun acquisition, echoes the worst of Quake 4; a couple of monsters in a small room over and over again. That's exactly what it is too. Two monsters spawn. You kill them. Two more identical ones spawn. You kill them. Now a pair of flight-enabled ones appear. The get the business. And two more pop up, only to be smitten by buckshot. All in a relatively small room devoid of interesting environment. Then you are gifted with corridors full of encounters with melee pigs charging at you. One at a time though. What? Did you think this would be like Doom, Serious Sam, or Painkiller? You know, fun? Not Duke Nukem Forever, nosiree. There might be a miniboss too. I don't remember.

Later on, the game apes Call of Duty, but in a bad way, drawing from only the worst of encounters. A couple of krauts/russians/aliens show up in a locale with cover allowing Duke and the aliens to trade shots until all the baddies are dead. It's not run and gun; it's stop and pop in the most boring way. Enemies don't flank you, cover is rarely interactive or destructible, and enemies are quite dumb.

Basically, my experience so far is that the game is made up of shootouts that ape the worst of games like Call of Duty and Quake 4, yet none of the good features. These are punctuated by half-baked puzzles, rather poor turret sequences, and platforming of which the best that can be said is that it is simple and will be over quickly. That sounds more like what an anesthesiologist would say before surgery to a nervous patient, not exactly ringing praise for a big part of a game's play.

*Misc Stuff*

Guns are nothing to write home about. Most are forgettable fare, save the shrink ray, which is more of a gimmick than anything, albeit a fun one. I haven't found the freeze ray or the BFG yet, if they even still exist. The shotgun is decent...sometimes. It has some real punch, but the randomization of the bullet spread seems to make for some weird situations in which a point-blank shot seems to pass through enemies without harming them. Actually, all the guns seem to suffer from this sort of malady further adding to the suckfest of dealing with weak weapons that have pitifully small ammo capacity, both in clips, as well as in reserve.

The two guns only system sucks here. I actually like it in Halo where it forces you to scavenge a lot and use whatever weapon is available, forcing you to become more proficient with every weapon on higher difficulties, as ammo is scarce and enemies are numerous. Plus, most weapons in Halo are fun enough and pretty balanced. Here, it makes no sense, as there are universal ammo re-fillers after nearly every encounter in most levels. This takes away the only real benefit of a two weapon restriction, making it seem like nothing but lazy designers trying to streamline the game for gamepad control. Protip; console games can have many weapons at once; try a radial menu that pauses during selection a la Masturfect.

Bosses, after the "prologue" boss, are pretty bad. I've only run into two, but one consisted of playing "ring around the large object of cover" shooting rockets at it, and occasionally restocking on rockets (by the way, bosses are explicitly noted to only be vulnerable to explosives...lame) at one of the ammo crates. The other required bouncing grenades to bring down a "shield" so you could rocket it. It also made little effort to attack you, only spawning one enemy at a time and doing nothing that could harm you while in the cover provided. To be fair, most FPS bosses tend towards low quality, but Duke Nukem Forever really takes things down a few notches from the average.

Duke is really a pansy in this game, contrary to the macho man they play him up to be. He can't run fast at all, and is terribly limited in how long he can run. He can take very little damage; if his Ego is his shield it should be able to take a hell of a lot more. As an aside, Ego doesn't play out much differently at all from typical regenerating health. It would have been a lot better to implement more things to restore Ego through gameplay, things like skillful or stylish kills restoring Ego. They play around with this a bit in some limited situations (QTE execution kills restore Ego) but nothing that you can "bank on", so to say.

Technically, this game is a mess. It performs terribly in almost all aspects. The frame rate plunges oftentimes...when there are only two or three enemies on screen. This is pretty inexcusable given the lack of graphical quality and the fact it already runs at around 30 Frames-Per-Second. This isn't Ninja Gaiden 2 where I could forgive it for running sub-60 FPS when ten ninjas where onscreen each throwing about 4 exploding shuriken every second, turning the screen into one hell of a digital fireworks display. It also has abysmal loading times. Despite the fact that levels are totally linear and it uses the simplest of checkpoint systems, it decides to grace your playtime with a ~90 second load time every time you die. I can tolerate longer loads at the beginning of a level, but if you use a checkpoint system you had best be prepared to make things snappy when getting you back into the gameplay. Halo and Gears of War can get me back in the action within ~3 seconds. Hell, I think even Alpha Protocol did better than Duke in this regard. You know you're in trouble when an Obsidian title is more technically sound.

The humor...well...it's classic Duke for better or worse. Smut and pop culture ripped off without a care and nothing but it. I guess it is a lot more edgy (boob walls and penis monsters especially come to mind), but then again, isn't everything nowadays? The problem here is that Duke Nukem 3D wasn't driven by the humor, and was backed by decent gameplay. Nothing earth-shattering, but some simple fun. Duke Nukem Forever seems to think it can coast off the humor and have bad gameplay on top of low-brow humor galore. Simply put, it can't.

*Closing*

This game is a stinker, and deserves a place in the Shitpile of Awful Shooters, alongside such titles as Killzone, Project Snowblind, and Daikatana. Avoid it. Fuck you Gamefly for sending this to me. And fuck you gaming media for being so incompetent.

http://www.joystickdivision.com/2011/06 ... wed_fi.php

From a gameplay perspective its major sin, as you may have guessed, is how dated it feels. Want the experience of playing DNF without shelling out $60? Load up an HD remake of Doom or Serious Sam on Xbox Live Arcade/PSN. Shooter design has come a long way from the loose, unsculpted levels and messy gunplay of the early days, and yet that's exactly what you get in DNF.

Lol no fuckhead. Doom and Serious Sam are miles ahead in terms of design when compared with modern shooters despite the fact that they may be a little rough around the edges (Sam more so than Doom; but mostly due to budget constraints). Duke Nukem Forever takes all the worst parts of modern ones...that's why it is terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom