Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Scathing DNF review at Gamespot

Multi-headed Cow

That review pretty much sums it up, yep. Had a few parts I smiled at, but it's not good at all.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gamespot gave it 3? So its good then? I'm torn. I liked DN3D and have abysmal sense of humour accepting penis jokes, I should be fine right?

Malakal said:
Gamespot gave it 3? So its good then? I'm torn. I liked DN3D and have abysmal sense of humour accepting penis jokes, I should be fine right?

DNF is the same shitty popamole shooter everything is nowadays, coupled with a whole bunch of trying too hard.

UserNamer

Cipher
Malakal said:

frow what I've seen is nothing like duke3d gameplay wise. It is very similar to modern shooters, only a little bit shittier.

Angthoron

Arcane
I just wish reviewers would be venomous about all the rapes of old games instead of just this one.

Deleted member 7219

I wish they had been the same about Oblivion.

It is funny because the Destructoid one is scathing as well, but because it is written by Jim Sterling nobody knows if he's trolling or not.

SoupNazi

It's not as bad as most similar FPSs today. About 30% better than the likes of, uh, I dunno, Halo or something? Though that doesn't say much.

baronjohn

Cipher
Not being a consolefag, I wouldn't really know if it's better than Halo or not.

kris

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
In related news:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... eviews.ars

"Too many went too far with their reviews...we are reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom," the company tweeted. "Bad scores are fine. Venom filled reviews...that's completely different," another tweet read.

Hahahaha, oh wow.

Most interesting in that link was the admittance of the writer in "arstechnica".

"Anyone who has done this job for any amount of time has suffered through a dry spell after giving a publisher a bad review, but this is the first time the threat of a blacklist has been made public."

Basically he says everyone in the business know this if for a fact, but that they never seen it said in the open. So reviewers can't see any reason to give a game a bad rating since they would be against their own interest.

UserNamer

Cipher
I just realized that duke nukem forever is acting a scapegoat for all the failing of most modern console style shooters.... I mean people is singling this game out, myself included, but I don't think it is any shittier than most fps that follow this corridor formula.

Destroid

Arcane
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/06/duke-nukems-pr-threatens-to-punish-sites-that-run-negative-reviews.ars said:
Currently, Duke Nukem Forever has a Metacritic score of 49 on the Xbox 360, the format most commonly sent to the press. For a game with such a large marketing budget and name recognition, that's shockingly low.

HA HA HA

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Destroid said:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/06/duke-nukems-pr-threatens-to-punish-sites-that-run-negative-reviews.ars said:
Currently, Duke Nukem Forever has a Metacritic score of 49 on the Xbox 360, the format most commonly sent to the press. For a game with such a large marketing budget and name recognition, that's shockingly low.

HA HA HA

It's only 3 points behind Dragon Age 2 on that site in user reviews. DNF is better than Dragon Age 2?

:smug:

MCA
I recently saw a gameplay video and went WTF; some of the environments are exactly the same ones 3DRealms built 10+ years ago which I had seen here and there back then. Even the geometry was low-poly with just shader polish to make it look more acceptable.

You know, at least 3DRealms kept this thing back all this time, for whatever reason. And Gearbox thought they could do a SLAMDUNK with this antiquated shit. Idiots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom