Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
PRODEUS
When you get to see the tower you have to climb.
VKCK9x4.jpg

And then find the Automap powerup showing you what awaits. I just love this item so much. And the game is so fucking good. Custom maps especially are absolute highlights.
13wrLBY.jpg

Some custom flashlight action
vqF25O2.png

THIS IS ART
fFkMdLe.png

THIS IS ART II
Fsn0R7K.png

Last maps of the campaign. Have a very Quake-esque feel to it
bfQu5bs.jpg

0RiVfnE.jpg

fFHYiCr.jpg

YRX1oqp.jpg

LtpPmH6.jpg

LvXJpbd.jpg

Stargate?
HwpKsjm.png

91b3g1O.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last Train Home demo

I was impressed by this demo. Seems like a fun survival/management/combat game.

1.jpg

Men of War style combat. It's a bit simpler, but it's still fun.

2.jpg

The medic car treating one of my men for a fracture.

3.jpg

The traversal map. Decide what places to visit etc.

The demo is fairly beefy as well, so you get to experience a lot of different mechanics.

Been mostly just fiddling and fussing with different CRT filters to try and make muh sprites look better. I should probably hook up an actual CRT one of these days.

9.jpg

3.jpg

11.jpg

1.jpg

15.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

13.jpg

6.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Been mostly just fiddling and fussing with different CRT filters to try and make muh sprites look better. I should probably hook up an actual CRT one of these days.

9.jpg

3.jpg

11.jpg

1.jpg

15.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

13.jpg

6.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg
Waaaay too bloomy and halationy. Looks like the glass is dirty. But always good to see someone else playing with CRT filters.

schru

Arcane
I don't have much experience with shaders outside of those included with the various builds of DOSBox, but the output in your screenshots looks rather blurry. Do you perhaps have the emulator set to apply the shaders to scaled and/or filtered image? As I understand it, C.R.T. shaders should be applied to games' native resolutions without any modifications, and only the final output should be set to match one's monitor's resolution.

Melcar

Arcane
Imagine actually butchering street fighter zero like that, holy fuck.
Have you ever played street fighter at an arcade, on a 240p arcade monitor, you know, the kind of display its visuals were designed for?

I have and those shit scanline effects people use are retarded for the most part. These days people use stupid scanline filters just because and have no idea.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Have you ever played street fighter at an arcade, on a 240p arcade monitor, you know, the kind of display its visuals were designed for?

I have and those shit scanline effects people use are retarded for the most part. These days people use stupid scanline filters just because and have no idea.
Yes, and these retarded scanline filters look nothing like it.
Here's a comparison between a real CRT (with a higher TVL) and an emulated CRT

FHrV7f2.jpg

7ERFoLQ.jpg

Aside from the difference in brightness (due to the emulation strategy of relying on LCD backlight rather than whiter pixels for the effect), and the higher TVL of the actual CRT, it is very, very, very close.

If you know what you're doing, and you have a good enough display, you can get very good results.

spekkio

Arcane
Decided to revisit Dead Cells after ~5 years.

I've played v1.0.2 back in 2018. Now I've installed v1.24.4 and it looks like they've added even moar broken weapons:

deadcells2023-10-18195we4x.jpg

Found this baby in 2nd dome. Looking forward to replacing it like never. :roll:

Anyway, after like 30 minutes and some cheap deaths, it feels just like home:

deadcells2023-10-1819w8dt5.png

One of the VERY few fun roguelikes. Plus the amount of content (with all DLCs) is insane:

https://deadcells.wiki.gg/wiki/Biomes_map

Each time someone adds retarded ugly scan lines to his old games, Darth Roxor inscribes that person's name on a bullet.

I mean, if you're gonna be a nutsack about it

You need some kind of CRT filter or retarded scanlines when playing these older games. Raw pixels look like shit on average and transparencies don't show through unless you're applying a filter of some sort

retroarch-2023-10-18-23-55-49-19.jpg

retroarch-2023-09-05-12-02-00-52.png

--

I generally lean towards the crt-guest-ntsc filter. Most console stuff you'd have played on an NTSC TV. Here's crt-guest's ntsc default settings as a comparison point:

retroarch-2023-10-19-00-02-05-16.png

retroarch-2023-10-19-00-02-11-22.png

Each one of these filters has dozens of parameters to dick with, and fiddling with them is kind of a pursuit in and of itself. I always feel compelled to adjust the defaults. Last time I sat in front of an ol tube TV set and played an old console with a buddy the image honestly looked somewhat blurry, and the TV set gave off a nice warm glow not unlike a vinyl record player. So I don't mind bumping up the halation and bloom a bit, or turning resolution scaling down a notch.

I really liked the filter I had going on my previous laptop, but I dropped it like a retard and despite an upgraded box I don't like how my current filters look compared with my old setup:
retroarch-2022-11-16-22-52-14-39.png

retroarch-2022-11-19-20-22-17-03.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom