Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sean Murray is making a new game. Light No Fire.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I see this meme a lot that NMS is supposed to be good now. But I don't get it. It looks like tedious grind with lame proc gen planets that should get boring after an hour. What's the appeal?
You know how some people will play Candy Crush and nothing else? It's the same concept but with slightly more "gamer cred" attached to it. You endlessly mindlessly do the same shit over and over again and that somehow soothes certain smoothbrained examples of humanity.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I see this meme a lot that NMS is supposed to be good now. But I don't get it. It looks like tedious grind with lame proc gen planets that should get boring after an hour. What's the appeal?
There are a lot of people out there who enjoy tedious grind with lame proc gen content for some reason.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's basically the Starfield trailer. I'm left scratching my head and wondering "But what do you actually do?"

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know how some people will play Candy Crush and nothing else? It's the same concept but with slightly more "gamer cred" attached to it. You endlessly mindlessly do the same shit over and over again and that somehow soothes certain smoothbrained examples of humanity.
It's fun enough for a dozen hours or two (if you use the mod that removes that ship fuel cost grind), but by that point you'll have seen and done all the gameplay the game has to offer.

Afterwards, you really only repeat the same stuff in order to ... get a bigger ship and build a bigger base so you can do more grinding, I suppose?
Nothing the game throws at you in "end game" really changes anything about how you play the game other than becoming better at grinding.

But I will say it is pretty, and if you had to pick a game to throw endless hours into for some relaxing grind (if grind does indeed relax you), there are worse picks.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Gamers: We'll remember this treacherous act forever!!!

Gamers two years later:

1702247343739.png

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
This looks like shit to me. It will be just as bland and shallow as NMS. And the aesthetic looks like trash. Science-fantasy meets Land of the Furries.

Pay attention in the trailer to what they are NOT showing you. A serious lack of combat, a lack of interesting dungeons, caves or ruins to explore, a lack of quests or goals, no sense of danger, good character progression or growth. It looks "pretty" for pretty's sake and that's it. Is this even going to be an RPG?

But I will give credit to their marketing department. They certainly do know how to make a trailer to hook the simple-minded npcs.

Last edited:

GaelicVigil

Liturgist

I tried it a month or two ago after everyone hyped how much better it was. I quit after a couple hours. Same boring grind. Same retarded dialogue. Same bland planets. This isn't a space game, it's a weird tech demo with cartoon graphics with a space-themed veneer.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You know that it would be so true
You know I wouldn't be a liar
If I was to say to you
Girl we couldn't get much higher

Come on baby light no fire
Come on baby light no fire
Try to set this night on
Whateveeer

orcinator

Liturgist
Hello Games is trying to create a multiplayer earth, a space that's large enough to conceivably accommodate the 7.8 billion people that currently inhabit our planet.
Can't wait for it to not have actual multiplayer.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
These retards have the infrastructure necessary to make a great Kenshi-like game but, alas, Sean is just an idiot without vision.

Called the "first real open world" by Sean Murray, the title is a fantasy multiplayer survival RPG on a highly detailed and huge planet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom