Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sega may be working on Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio sequels

Falksi

Arcane
Just seen this posted on Facebook in a SEGA group. The group were asked to vote which other SEGA owned franchises they'd like to see rebooted, and these were the top 15....

9EizOtI.jpg

Now the Thunderforce is one of my favorite series of all time, so I'm well on board with that. But there are some absolute belters in there regardless which really shows how neglectful they've been in recent years.

One of the testers for Eternal Champions is a mate of mine, and he reckons Mike Latham already had a slew of ideas sat ready for a new entry, so that would be great to see as it was a fighter which really stood out with it's premise. He also had an alternate universe game called Dimension Raiders which didn't make the cut lined up, so I'm gonna prod to see if anything can get started on that via the indie scene in the likely event SEGA ignore Eternal champions, or just fuck it up.

And Afterburner 2 is still the most exciting game I've ever played, so more of that is always welcome.

The franchise I would have personally have liked to seen included though is Alisa Dragoon. What a superb game that is, and the foundation is there for a great action RPG for sure.

But as other people have pointed out, getting these games and getting these games good is another story. I've some faith in SEGA doing them justice simply because of how excellent some of their recent games have been (Streets of Rage 4, Yakuza Like A Dragon, Persona 5R), but it is SEGA lol.

I’d imagine a new Eternal Champions game never happens. Sega doesn’t give a shit about that series. In fact the Japanese side of Sega intentionally killed that series because they didn’t want it to complete with their own Virtua Fighter. It makes no sense at all given one was a console game and one was an arcade game which didn’t even get a home version until 1995, but apparently that happened, and is just part of the bizarre conflict Sega and Sega of America had throughout the ‘90s.

Virtua Fighter is definitely coming back. They basically all but officially confirmed they were making a new one. The remake of 5 by Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio was a test to see how people would react. And it did better than they originally thought it would.

Skies of Arcadia 2 (or some new version of the original) probably happens. It sounds like the original team has been wanting to do that for years, and some of them are still at Sega.

House of the Dead seems like a no brainer to bring back. It’s almost surprising Sega never just made a House of the Dead game in the mold of Resident Evil 4, especially after the sales of 5 and 6. I mean, original RE4 is basically light gun game style controls when you’re aiming with how it locks you in place as you aim. If you did that, but in first person, it’d basically feel like a House of the Dead where you aren’t on-rails. They could do a new House of the Dead and a new Zombie Revenge. Zombie seems less like, and could probably just be folded into a non on-rails HotD anyways. But Rikiya Busujima did make it into Project X Zone...so at least when that game came out someone at Sega still remembered Zombie Revenge.

I’m almost surprised there haven’t been any new Dynamite Deka games. There was a time Sega really seemed to enjoy that series. And the first one that got rebrand as Die Hard Arcade is definitely one of Sega’s better known games given most people probably had at least one place with that cabinet in the mid to late ‘90s.

Phantasy Star it’s almost just bizarre they haven’t made a new single player one in all the years Phantasy Star online has been going. I could see them doing a new one since that’s still a name people know, and Online is one of their bigger series still. In fact, most of Sega’s Genesis era JRPGs probably come back. They were doing some iOS Shining Force game a few years ago called Shining Force: Hero of Light and Darkness that didn’t come out. The dungeon crawler blobber Shining games seems like something they could do on the cheap, and the Persona 5 games doing what they did probably had Sega looking at what other RPG series they could be doing.

Treasure developed games I’m not sure happen without Treasure. But if the idea is to make lower budget games that generate hype with a specific set of gamers, putting out new Treasure games would probably do that.

Wouldn’t be totally surprised if they did a new Oasis game. Although that might not fit the image they seem to be going with, with this new revival of past games.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Now the Thunderforce is one of my favorite series of all time, so I'm well on board with that
Thunder Force IV was the shit:

But I'm sure this is not a Sega game, but a Technosoft one. There is also a Treasure game there (Gunstar Heroes), for example. Good list, anyway.

Viata

Arcane
Looking up, while Technosoft itself was not absorbed by SEGA, their games did:
However, later in the decade, Technosoft began to largely diminish as profits began to slump, before ultimately being acquired and folded into Japanese pachinko manufacturer Twenty-One Company in late 2001. Twenty-One began to release products in 2008 under the Technosoft brand, and sold the entirety of its video game library to Sega in 2016. The Technosoft name continues to be in use in the present day as the name for Twenty-One's research and development division, and as a brand name for various products such as soundtrack albums.

As for Treasure, I couldn't find anything telling it now owned by SEGA or anything like that.

Zlaja

Arcane
For the love of God, give us a new entry in the Phantasy Star series. And not that fucking online shit, either. And it has to be turn-based.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
How about they work on releasing Crazy Taxi on PC with the actual sound track and not randomly placed beeps and whistles.

Ezekiel

Arcane
How about they work on releasing Crazy Taxi on PC with the actual sound track and not randomly placed beeps and whistles.
Mod the old songs in.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=964260789

You will still be left with stretched character select art, missing distance indicator in the corner of the screen, old voices that need to be modded in, licensed stores replaced by generic ones (and the old customer dialogue for those stores gone), mediocre performance, and having to replace a file to bring back proper analog movement.

Anyone who recommends emulating the Dreamcast version, try it yourself first. The voices and car engine are far louder than the music and other SFX, and it's not something you can fix by adjusting the sliders. YouTube videos show the same problem I had. Gamecube and PS2 versions have altered voices (including drivers), so not worth emulating.

Edit: Oh, and the replays in the end credits have a sepia-like fog that is missing in the PC version.

Last edited:

911 Jumper

Educated
Sega hires Disney veteran to lead its transmedia strategy
Sega has hired former Disney and Scopely executive Justin Scarpone to lead its transmedia strategy.

Scarpone previously held a variety of leadership positions during a 17-year spell at Disney, including serving as its general manager of consumer products and interactive division.

He left the company in 2019 to join Scopely, the developer and publisher behind games including Monopoly Go! and Stumble Guys, as the general manager of its Asia Pacific division.

Scarpone will assume the role of Sega executive vice president and global head of transmedia on April 1, 2024.

“The establishment of a Global Transmedia Group will allow the company to advance its transmedia strategy across its wide portfolio of IP, such as Persona, Like a Dragon, Angry Birds, and more, in the coming years,” the company said.

“I look forward to working with our team and partners around the world, harnessing the strength of Sega’s rich IP to deliver new stories, innovative consumer products, and new entertainment services, all while putting our fans and communities first,” Scarpone wrote on LinkedIn.

Following the success of its Sonic movies, Sega president Shuji Utsumi recently said the company wants to expand the reach of its other biggest franchises, like Persona and Yakuza, beyond video games.
Source: VGC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom