Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sega may be working on Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio sequels

911 Jumper

Educated
A new 3D Shinobi game would be great. The hack 'n' slash genre is severely lacking.

Instead we get...a 2D side scroller.

So much for “NEW ERA NEW ENERGY” SEGA

Ezekiel

Arcane
Just watched the video. That doesn't look like a new Jet Set Radio, but a remake. I recognized three of the four areas. Never played the sequel.

Crazy Taxi might be a remake too. Not sure.

Shinobi looks superb, really hope they nail that.

Not keen on the Streets of Rage look. Been playing loads of Streets of Rage 4 lately, easily the best beat em up ever made, and I'm not sure 3D will capture that magic. We'll see.

Golden Axe looks interesting. Hope it takes it's cues from the Souls games and not the God of War ones.
I would rather have a new Shinobi made in the styles of the PS2 games.

nioh?

Not even on the same planet. PS2 Shinobi/Kunoichi were elegant games from before the era of retarded slot machine dopamine dispensing mechanics infesting everything.

This 'announcement' encapsulates modern SEGA: a mere shell of its former self, zero ambition, zero talent, zero competence.

All of these once great household names will be raped into oblivion, the games will be complete shit (shovelware farmed out to third parties), and the franchises will probably die out completely afterwards.

SEGA of America CEO Shuji Utsumi did an interview with the Post.

In the 1990s, Sega marketed itself as being the counterculture. Its TV commercials had a guy screaming the company’s name, representing a “rebel yell” against Nintendo’s dominance of the games industry.

That same yell returned in a trailer at the Game Awards in Los Angeles on Thursday night. The trailer showcases five new games from Sega series that mostly have been dormant for more than a decade: “Crazy Taxi,” “Golden Axe,” “Jet Set Radio,” “Shinobi” and “Streets of Rage.”

“Golden Axe” and “Streets of Rage” are traditionally 2D brawler games now being adapted to 3D. “Crazy Taxi” was an arcade hit centered around time-based street racing that’s getting a modern update. “Shinobi” seems to stay true to its 2D action roots but stylized with colorful flat-shaded animation. And the Tony Hawk-inspired “Jet Set Radio” will get a second chance after amassing a small but loud cult following.

Sega co-chief operating officer and Sega of America CEO Shuji Utsumi said this is a strategy he initiated that’s finally bearing fruit. Utsumi was instrumental in launching Sony’s first PlayStation console and Sega’s last console, the Dreamcast.

“We really want to show edginess and a rebellious mind-set,” said Utsumi, recalling Sega’s cultural impact as the “alternative” game console.

The Dreamcast was Sega’s last console before the company made the historic decision to become just a games publisher and developer, conceding the console market to Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. Despite its failure, it’s grown a loyal cult following that recognizes how the machine was ahead of its time, including having built-in online connectivity.

Utsumi said when he returned to Sega four years ago, he found a “treasure trove” of intellectual property to revisit. Originally for Dreamcast, “Jet Set Radio” (2000) was an experimental game that mixed extreme sports, 3D platforming and graffiti art, a concept so unique it was only replicated earlier this year by another studio.

Utsumi said these legacy series can find second life now that the games industry has a captive global market large enough to sustain Sega’s weirder concepts. Utsumi has firsthand knowledge of testing strange concepts as co-founder of Q Entertainment, a studio behind games that played with the concept of synesthesia and dance music.

“The concept of games like ‘Jet Set Radio’ is advanced. The original creators are involved again, and its time is now,” he said. “It’s a good time where people can appreciate all kinds of concepts.”

Utsumi credited three ongoing Sega franchises for holding up the company in recent years: Sonic the Hedgehog, which has now released two blockbuster Hollywood films; Yakuza, the crime drama (now rebranded as Like a Dragon) that’s grown a large U.S. following; and Persona, the role-playing series about mystery-solving teens.

“We’ve been investing into these three titles the last three years, making these pillars grow, and they grew very well,” he said.

Sega also promises to revive even more legacy properties. Fighting game fans have been wondering why the first 3D fighter series Virtua Fighter is so dormant. Utsumi said the company is aware of the game’s niche status.

“We are evaluating right now. Virtua Fighter doesn’t use so many tricks, special moves like in Street Fighter, it’s very realistic,” Utsumi said. “How can we make it more dramatic? It’s something we’re working on.”

Falksi

Arcane

Not keen on the Streets of Rage look. Been playing loads of Streets of Rage 4 lately, easily the best beat em up ever made, and I'm not sure 3D will capture that magic. We'll see.

Golden Axe looks interesting. Hope it takes it's cues from the Souls games and not the God of War ones.

nioh?

Not even on the same planet. PS2 Shinobi/Kunoichi were elegant games from before the era of retarded slot machine dopamine dispensing mechanics infesting everything.

This 'announcement' encapsulates modern SEGA: a mere shell of its former self, zero ambition, zero talent, zero competence.

All of these once great household names will be raped into oblivion, the games will be complete shit (shovelware farmed out to third parties), and the franchises will probably die out completely afterwards.

Revenge of Shinobi & Shinobi 3 remain 2 of my top 20 games of all time. The first one is pure badassery in a game, and the second one an utter joy to none-glitch speedrun. I love a great 2D action-platformer, so this is right up my street again.

After the amazing job which the likes of DotEmu & Lizardcube did with Streets of Rage 4, and with how mint the snippets of the game look, the new Shinobi game is one of the few which has me genuinely hyped in recent years.

SEGA itself certainly has lost a LOT of talent and is little more than a publisher now really, but it's still knocked out some great games in recent years from Streets of Rage 4, to Alien Isolation, to Binary Domain, to Sonic Mania etc. so I think we're gonna get some quality out of this line up at least. I dare say some games will miss the spot too, but the fact that SEGA cancelled the Golden Axe remake because it wasn't up to scratch suggests that they don't want to release just franchise cash-ins.

nioh?

Revenge of Shinobi & Shinobi 3 remain 2 of my top 20 games of all time. The first one is pure badassery in a game, and the second one an utter joy to none-glitch speedrun. I love a great 2D action-platformer, so this is right up my street again.

After the amazing job which the likes of DotEmu & Lizardcube did with Streets of Rage 4, and with how mint the snippets of the game look, the new Shinobi game is one of the few which has me genuinely hyped in recent years.

SEGA itself certainly has lost a LOT of talent and is little more than a publisher now really, but it's still knocked out some great games in recent years from Streets of Rage 4, to Alien Isolation, to Binary Domain, to Sonic Mania etc. so I think we're gonna get some quality out of this line up at least. I dare say some games will miss the spot too, but the fact that SEGA cancelled the Golden Axe remake because it wasn't up to scratch suggests that they don't want to release just franchise cash-ins.

Binary Domain was over 10 years ago m8, when Sega still had OG developers working for them like Nagoshi and Daisuke Sato. Now there's practically no one left, only RGG Studio which is their cash cow (Nagoshi bailed a couple years ago).

Do you remember that they raped Golden Axe like 15 years ago with that awful, awful Beast Rider game? I don't think they respect their franchises at all, they're no Nintendo.

They just want to make a quick buck honestly. I like DotEmu/Lizardcube as well, I think their Wonder Boy 3 remake was really ace, and although I wasn't crazy about SoR4, it was competent enough.

Shinobi was one of my favourite franchises and I really liked the direction Sega took with the PS2 games (then made by Overworks - the old AM7 studio). They were ambitious, elegant and original. The gaming 'media', even back then, missed the point entirely and dismissed them as poor DMC clones, which of course they weren't at all.

However, this new one looks to be low hanging fruit, generic fanservice which doesn't really get me going. Obvious Shinobi III reference with the mounted level (wolf instead of horse), and I'm sure they'll do some bullshit Metroid level aping which is nothing like Shinobi at all.

What they showed of the new Streets of Rage looks like it's some sort of derivative take on Spikeout, but I'll go ahead and say I think it's almost impossible that there's enough competence in whoever they hired to do that game justice.

I was never crazy about Jet Set Radio (I bought both the original DC game and the Xbox sequel on release), and Crazy Taxi is whatever.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They only showed a very brief glimpse of the games, but what I saw looked very rough. Shinobi was maybe the one that looked the most polished to me but eh. The 2D platformer market is oversaturated and I somehow doubt that Sega is able to make a game that is better than what's currently available on the market and probably at a lower price point, too. This reeks of nostalgia baiting with cheaply made crap. Hopefully I'm proven wrong after they've spent more time in the oven, but I doubt it. It is Sega after all.

Häyhä

Arbiter
You retards still in here talking about crazy taxi? It's not even a real game, it's a low quality carnival ride designed to trick kids into spending all of their lunch money. If it was released now under a different name, it would be considered the kind of shovelware that your girlfriend plays on her cellphone in between black dicks. These japs have got you confused, shake your heads until you start seeing some sense.

Lol, you spewed some edgy, dumb shit and got called out for it, so you immediately threw a tantrum and revenge-rated everyone "retarded" as "payback" in your butthurt. :-D Welcome to Codex, boy.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
You retards still in here talking about crazy taxi? It's not even a real game, it's a low quality carnival ride designed to trick kids into spending all of their lunch money. If it was released now under a different name, it would be considered the kind of shovelware that your girlfriend plays on her cellphone in between black dicks. These japs have got you confused, shake your heads until you start seeing some sense.

Lol, you spewed some edgy, dumb shit and got called out for it, so you immediately threw a tantrum and revenge-rated everyone "retarded" as "payback" in your butthurt. :-D Welcome to Codex, boy.
If you think this game is good, wait until you see candy crush, faggot.

biggs

Novice
All of these, barring the Lizardcube Shinobi game, look like dogwater UE fan projects.

And yet, observe the mindless cattle overjoyed to see their favorite SEGA brands resurrected in such pathetic incarnations.

Falksi

Arcane
Literally either of them will make the game far worse. Why the fuck should Golden Axe play like Souls or God of War?
Oh I'd sooner it be 2D for sure, but looking at the vid it isn't. So if it's going 3D, then Souls is the way for me. I thought Nu GoW was shit.

911 Jumper

Educated
It's funny when people say “Japan's back!”. Most of these Japanese development studios are shadows of their former selves, existing on one or two long running franchises or remaking past hits from the early 2000s. The creativity decline is present in Japan, too.

Spike

Educated
Literally either of them will make the game far worse. Why the fuck should Golden Axe play like Souls or God of War?
Oh I'd sooner it be 2D for sure, but looking at the vid it isn't. So if it's going 3D, then Souls is the way for me. I thought Nu GoW was shit.
Why not, instead of souls, they just do their own 3D take on it? I want something fresh with its own mechanics/systems not aped from something else. I am looking forward to Golden Axe and Streets of Rage especially. And, feel free to add this to "statements that trigger the codex" but I am glad they are going 3D. :dance::oops:

It's funny when people say “Japan's back!”. Most of these Japanese development studios are shadows of their former selves, existing on one or two long running franchises or remaking past hits from the early 2000s. The creativity decline is present in Japan, too.
Not nearly to the same degree. If SEGer delivers, Japan really will be back between this, FromSoft, a number of Squeenix projects (DQ XI, FF XVI) and Capcom (DMC 5, DragDog 2, ResiRemakes especially 2). And the Hi Fi Rush devs. Japan has always been the most decline-resistant.

Viata

Arcane
My problem is that I did like 3D beat'em up (Fighting Force among many others during PS1 and Dreamcast time, for example), but I'm pretty sure they are not going to do something like that. If we are optimist, we are getting some hack'n'slash at DMC 3 level, but yeah, it's probably some Nu GoW or Souls clone, sadly.

Spike

Educated
My problem is that I did like 3D beat'em up (Fighting Force among many others during PS1 and Dreamcast time, for example), but I'm pretty sure they are not going to do something like that. If we are optimist, we are getting some hack'n'slash at DMC 3 level, but yeah, it's probably some Nu GoW or Souls clone, sadly.
I actually don't think so. Call me fabulously optimistic but that interview with Utsumi (earlier in thread) has me looking at things brighter.

Viata

Arcane
I'm not optimistic when it comes to old Japanese devs. They all died after the PS1 generation as far as I'm concerned. One good game out of 100 bad ones is normal. So just pray that either of those games are going to be this "1 out of 100" good game.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Watched the video again. Yeah, Shibuya-cho looks abandoned. Neither Crazy Taxi nor Jet Set Radio have the (inexpective) graphical leaps that I would have expected after three generations. Trees in Jet Set Radio look PS2 era. I pictured some basic physics in Crazy Taxi, like clothes and hair blowing in the wind for a sense of speed, but there's just one solid clump attached to Gena's head. Gives the impression of the least effort/money possible. What is with this garish green fire under the tires? That's not the CT I love. Police will just complicate the working formula.

Well, it wouldn’t be too hard for them to make something better than Fighting Force.

The little they showed didn’t look like Devil May Cry style combat.

Spike

Educated
I'm not optimistic when it comes to old Japanese devs. They all died after the PS1 generation as far as I'm concerned. One good game out of 100 bad ones is normal. So just pray that either of those games are going to be this "1 out of 100" good game.
...They were plenty alive during the PS2 gen. What a bizarre thing to say.

Falksi

Arcane
Why not, instead of souls, they just do their own 3D take on it? I want something fresh with its own mechanics/systems not aped from something else. I am looking forward to Golden Axe and Streets of Rage especially. And, feel free to add this to "statements that trigger the codex" but I am glad they are going 3D. :dance::oops:
Sure, I'm just talking general fighting mechanics. GoW's over the shoulder one is shit and plays like ass, Souls mid-point one works great. You could use DMC as an example instead of Souls too.

SoR in 3D could well work going off what some of the Yakuza franchise does with it's combat, but I've literally just been addicted to SoR4 for the past two weeks, and it's the best beat 'em up ever made. Top tier stuff which could still be expanded further. So I just want more, and I'm just gutted they've not decided to offer that. The biggest problem with SoR4 is that it's too long, few of us sit down to play an Arcade game for 90 minutes, it should be around the 50 min mark. And I would have loved to have seen SoR5 take the SoR Remake approach of multiple levels and paths instead of one long 90 min blast.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
...They were plenty alive during the PS2 gen. What a bizarre thing to say.
And that is the gen were it started with 1 out of 100 games is good.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'd love if the new Golden Axe had a bonus level fighting through an arcade and modern city as a call back to the original arcade ending, but I don't think people would appreciate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom