Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Silva

Arcane
I feel like I'm straying too far from main objective now. There are lots of open paths I'm curious to see (depths, drowned lands, etc) but the plot is calling me. Kuro sama, I'm coming. Genichiro, prepare your ass.

Oh, and that gossip old lady is hilarious. She pointed me two paths so far. Don't know if her clan would approve it.

- Genichiro: Hey grandma, don't go telling no stranger where our secret places are ok?

- Gossip grandma: Ok.

*Shinobi appears*

- Gossip grandma: THERE. OVER THERE!

:lol:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Genichiro is a tough great fight. It's beatable on skill only, but having a bit more of health or attack power will help you. The nice thing is that it's not even close to be the hardest good fight on the game. The boss difficulty curve in this game is remarkable. The final boss being probably the hardest, although I struggled more with another late game one.

The Demon of Hatred can go fuck himself, tracking attacks and cheesy spam represent the worst vices in late souls games.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Started the game but not feeling it.

Takes a look at options menu.

A-ha! Turns MUSIC OFF.

Now it's a souls game. :smug:
I feel like you're depriving yourself of this game's unique setting and atmosphere by doing this.

But then again, it's even more not for everyone unlike Soulsborne's medieval/Victorian London dark fantasy, so +M

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Genichiro is a tough great fight. It's beatable on skill only, but having a bit more of health or attack power will help you. The nice thing is that it's not even close to be the hardest good fight on the game. The boss difficulty curve in this game is remarkable. The final boss being probably the hardest, although I struggled more with another late game one.

The Demon of Hatred can go fuck himself, tracking attacks and cheesy spam represent the worst vices in late souls games.

I had more trouble with Owl 2 fight than the end boss, I was just burnt out on the end and wanted the game to be over.

Genichiro is the midterm exam, check to see if you've been paying attention and filter out the casuals.

Demon of Hatred isn't that bad once you know how to dodge most of his moves. The fire blasts almost require the fire umbrella and his arm charges have to be JUMPED over, which wasn't intuitive to me at all. The camera also likes to fuck you a lot, and random trees in the environment. One time I fell off the cliff though that was my fault. I think it would be a better fight if it had one less health bar though, as an endurance match it's pretty blah.

Don't bother with Headless, they aren't fun to fight and don't drop anything good - infinite use item that is weaker than the consumable version that you aren't likely to run out of. Headless are actually cooler when left as a spooky thing you have to run past collecting items nearby.

The only things you need confetti for in this game are Shichimen Warriors.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't bother with Headless, they aren't fun to fight and don't drop anything good - infinite use item that is weaker than the consumable version that you aren't likely to run out of. Headless are actually cooler when left as a spooky thing you have to run past collecting items nearby.

The only things you need confetti for in this game are Shichimen Warriors.
Never used confetti on them, the umbrella attack does so much damage to those guys that you should never need more than 8 emblems to take one down.

Silva

Arcane
Started the game but not feeling it.

Takes a look at options menu.

A-ha! Turns MUSIC OFF.

Now it's a souls game. :smug:
I feel like you're depriving yourself of this game's unique setting and atmosphere by doing this.

But then again, it's even more not for everyone unlike Soulsborne's medieval/Victorian London dark fantasy, so +M
The music was making my mind interpret it as a generic action game. Specially the dynamic ones that turns on/off as enemies notice you. Found the game moodiness went through the roof when I turned it off.

But I turn it on before bosses, of course.

Never used confetti on them, the umbrella attack does so much damage to those guys that you should never need more than 8 emblems to take one down.

You mean Shichimen Warriors? I've never actually experimented with Umbrella, wasn't into it.

Black Angel

Arcane
The music was making my mind interpret it as a generic action game. Specially the dynamic ones that turns on/off as enemies notice you. Found the game moodiness went through the roof when I turned it off.

But I turn it on before bosses, of course.
'Tis fine, but I would recommend turning the music on again for when you arrive in the Fountainhead Palace. You're going to hear a sound there that would go VERY well with the ambient OST.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

You mean Shichimen Warriors? I've never actually experimented with Umbrella, wasn't into it.
The Loaded Umbrella allows for a very different playstyle and can be used in many different ways. It has three main benefits:
- it greatly increases the window for parries: you spend an emblem, but it's almost impossible to miss a parry with it;
- it allows you to close gaps in certain situations (it completely nullifies fire and spirit damage, so you can safely walk towards Shichimen Warriors and the Demon of Hatred without worrying about their ranged attacks, and it protects against horror, so it's a lifesaver against the big monkey);
- if you unlock the Projected Force skill (and why wouldn't you?), you can press R1 after using the umbrella to unleash a very powerful attack (that gets buffed by fire or spirit damage if you blocked an attack of that type, so you can damage Shichimen Warriors without confetti if you block their ranged attacks).

It's one of those tools that can completely change your playstyle and the way you experience the game (the other ones being the axe that almost allows for a "tank-like" playstyle and the spear that greatly improves your ability of keeping space between you and the enemies.

Silva

Arcane
Black Angel I'll keep that in mind for fountainhead palace. I actually turn it on the first time I reach a new area.

The Loaded Umbrella allows for a very different playstyle and can be used in many different ways. It has three main benefits:
- it greatly increases the window for parries: you spend an emblem, but it's almost impossible to miss a parry with it;
- it allows you to close gaps in certain situations (it completely nullifies fire and spirit damage, so you can safely walk towards Shichimen Warriors and the Demon of Hatred without worrying about their ranged attacks, and it protects against horror, so it's a lifesaver against the big monkey);
- if you unlock the Projected Force skill (and why wouldn't you?), you can press R1 after using the umbrella to unleash a very powerful attack (that gets buffed by fire or spirit damage if you blocked an attack of that type, so you can damage Shichimen Warriors without confetti if you block their ranged attacks).

It's one of those tools that can completely change your playstyle and the way you experience the game (the other ones being the axe that almost allows for a "tank-like" playstyle and the spear that greatly improves your ability of keeping space between you and the enemies.
Thanks for this. I'm looking for ways to make combat easier and more ninja-like (aka cheating) and this is the kind of info that will help.

Any tips for shrunken? I ended up upgrading it first. I noticed it makes ranged/agile/weak mooks a breeze (like dogs, wolfs, monkeys, lizards, centipede men, etc). I feel like an archer in DS. Oh and it was pretty useful for Madam Butterfly too.

I guess I can see Umbrella being useful against Demon of Hatred, fuck that cunt. I wonder if it also helps deflect Snake-eyes grab. That's another annoying shit that I never became very good at dealing with. Rest of the stuff in the game doesn't give me problems with just regular parrying.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I guess I can see Umbrella being useful against Demon of Hatred, fuck that cunt. I wonder if it also helps deflect Snake-eyes grab. That's another annoying shit that I never became very good at dealing with. Rest of the stuff in the game doesn't give me problems with just regular parrying.
Oh yes, it does:

The umbrella trivializes Snake-eyes, because it deflects both the grab (you can activate at any point in time during the grab animation) and every projectile. If I remember correctly, deflecting a projectile also boosts the next Projected Force attack. You can also use the umbrella to cheese him, if you are that kind of guy:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Black Angel I'll keep that in mind for fountainhead palace. I actually turn it on the first time I reach a new area.

Thanks for this. I'm looking for ways to make combat easier and more ninja-like (aka cheating) and this is the kind of info that will help.

Any tips for shrunken? I ended up upgrading it first. I noticed it makes ranged/agile/weak mooks a breeze (like dogs, wolfs, monkeys, lizards, centipede men, etc). I feel like an archer in DS. Oh and it was pretty useful for Madam Butterfly too.
I'm not a big shuriken fan, but probably only because I never found out how to use them effectively against bosses and mini-bosses. Usually I use them only when I need a bit of time to breathe during a fight: you can throw one or two shuriken at a boss to interrupt his endless chain of attacks and force him to block. It may seem unimportant, but some of these fights are so intense that gaining even a single second to breathe and think can make the difference.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

-Hiding like a bitch under the umbrella helps for headless ape (specifically his terror scream) and gives you a free hit. Several enemies and bosses use attacks the umbrella is designed to block.

-There's a wind fan that lets you spin around enemies and backstab them. Essentially spend some emblems to instakill one guy. Works on a lot of the tougher mobs too.

-Unlock the follow-up slash for shuriken, it's free damage and hits super hard, useful even to just close gaps with bosses.

-Firecracker stunlocks almost anything, including bosses. Do firecracker + 2-3 slashes + firecracker + hits etc. to 'buy' a health bar off a boss.

-Poison tanto works well against annoying samurai enemies who parry everything

-Axe spin can stunlock and kill a few troublesome foes, I didn't use it that much but people swear by it

-The spear kinda sucks except for headless ape.

-Use flame blast + oil to roast dudes but I never found the damage that impressive

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
It's interesting how psychology works in these games. The black pajama dude in the hole near dungeon was giving me a headache until I faced him in a relaxed and uncaring way. I was sleepy and my brain probably forgot he was supposed to be tough. Then bam! I kicked his ass.

It's interesting how psychology works in these games. The black pajama dude in the hole near dungeon was giving me a headache until I faced him in a relaxed and uncaring way. I was sleepy and my brain probably forgot he was supposed to be tough. Then bam! I kicked his ass.

This game does that a lot. It makes enemies look way more intimidating than they really are. It's like it was designed to troll people with hundreds of hours of Souls muscle memory - enough dodging everything like a bitch, go get up in their face and show them who's the big dick around here! The bull is one of better examples of this, I bet not many people tried to parry that fucker on first try.

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm not a big shuriken fan, but probably only because I never found out how to use them effectively against bosses and mini-bosses. Usually I use them only when I need a bit of time to breathe during a fight: you can throw one or two shuriken at a boss to interrupt his endless chain of attacks and force him to block. It may seem unimportant, but some of these fights are so intense that gaining even a single second to breathe and think can make the difference.
Shuriken is very useful against enemies that jumps a lot, but I can't remember who other than Lady Butterfly, those straw hat monks, and Owl's feathery shinobi subordinates, and monkeys obviously. Owl as Great Shinobi at Ashina Castle also jumps a lot, and I guess you can even count the Lone Swordman bosses and mobs, and also those midget mobs because they moved around very fast and kinda jumps a lot. Hitting a jumping enemy with a shuriken would inflict supposedly higher posture damage as hinted by the sound effect, but unfortunately I found it wasn't effective enough to be a consistently reliable strategy (except Lady Butterfly ofc, easily interrupted with a well-placed shuriken).
Another great use for shuriken, though you need the follow-up attack skill upgrade to do this, is to quickly close-in on your target while simultaneously interrupt their defensive action (like trying to restore their posture, and in case of a certain Lone Swordman boss, preventing him from calling upon his doge minions).

If you're into LARPing as a proper shinobi, however, I think the main use of shuriken is to silently take down frail enemies like dogs, AND to covertly attract lone enemies without alerting everyone else. You can cause a fuzz with the others getting their yellow alerts, but only your main target would actually notice you. Very great to clear up a boss arena to confront him alone.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The thing with shurikens is they aren't usually game changer or spectacular like other tools in some situations, but they are always useful. They are very good for the flying bastards in the temple, knocking them down to the ground though.

I consider them good if you just want to play without cheesing and minmax exploiting every encounter. They interrupt attacks, deal some damage and can help getting rid of some ranged weak guys in bullshit mobs. A good reliable tool that won't solve anything but will help you.

I remember liking them in Genichiro fight and other bosses to maintain posture damage high when they are not close, and avoid some pressure.

Black Angel

Arcane
Using prosthetic, meh. Real warriors fights only using their swords.
This is part of the blame for me finding the game so boring from videos. Youtubers finishing fights in eternal blan-blan of swords. You're a shinobi. Act like one.
It's still a valid way to play the game and also the major component of the gameplay, but people (Codexers, specifically) equates that with the game being a parryfest, while also dismissing the different ways of countering perilous attacks as being QTEs. Even though there are multiple ways of dealing with a single perilous attack, like a perilous thrust alone can either be (1) deflected, (2) step-dodged, (3) mikiri countered, (4) dealt with a prosthetic tool.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The game that should have multiplayer mod is Dragon's Dogma.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom