Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Hamziz

Learned
Unsolicited opinion incoming:

After 15 hours I really don't like or enjoy Sekiro, because I can't shake the feeling that it does not earn or deserve it's difficulty....

...I'm rambling, but my point is that this to me feels like a phoned-in, half baked game. I can probably get better and beat the last part of the game, but having already seen and done all of what little fun there is on offer, why on earth would I want to?

Tldr; I'm getting too old for this shit.

Meanwhile culpa: I'm apparently full of shit.

Maybe muscle memory kicked in, maybe my attitude changed, or maybe I just got gud, but I'm now thoroughly enjoying the combat and working through my suckedness.

My original criticism of limited exploration/reward still stands, and the homing attacks and hit boxes are still bullshit sometimes, but this is now my 2nd favorite from soft game. Just wish they didn't throw stealth out the window half-way through.

Bloodborne is awesome, Sekiro is great, and dark souls all suck ass.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Poor Hob is getting rekt by Sekiro. His entire stick of doing no hit runs is a recipe of disaster when it comes to Sekiro.

He can barely make it pass Gyobu without getting hit. His years of playing Souls game are betraying him. He is pretty much fucked.

The sad part is that a no hit run was already done by another guy like 2 weeks ago.

abija

Prophet
Took me a while cause I don't have much time, love blind plays and take my sweet time jumping of cliffs and did the best I could to avoid spoilers (so didn't read much in this thread). Some notes from quick thread skimming:
- can replace confetti with purple umbrella (block into hit) for some fights, but you are limited by the cost
- since when are people so ADD that get frustrated after some hours into a boss fight, just enjoy the learning process...

The route I used to farm skill points (since from experience I don't do well with running games like this multiple times): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCrbTSFoYSo ("optimised" for mindless button mashing). It's late in the game and used it cause I was curios of what the skills actually do.
Mostly used high monk (VERY good posture breaker), whirlwind and floating passage because... no cost. Learned high monk cause no cost + the description seemed similar to what those damn ninjas do (and wasn't disappointed). Woud have loved to have more slots for moves (feels weird pausing and changing mid fight).

As for difficulty, people just become entitled ADD crybabies... I'm old, reflexes kinda shit. A hard game for me means learning all you can in a fight then having to execute it close to perfection. Sekiro fights ended after learning some of the fight (which also makes most of the consumables kinda pointless for me since I'm a hoarder and don't use them while learning). Got a habit from wow raiding days, I record and watch my fails when learning fights. Just count the mistakes in the last boss fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4l4cYwokvc. And if I had spent time to learn to counter properly more of his moves fight would have been way shorter (at least it seemed some of his moves were punishable with proper dodge/deflect or at the very least get more opening to start high monk. Or maybe using some of the hoarded consumables and trade with flaming axe or other shit.)

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Revisiting some previous areas for farming. Find out Butterfly is still alive. She must have glitched into the geometry or something near the end of phase 2.

I thought it was odd she was gone when I fought her initially. The fog wall didn't disappear and I had to homeward bone out. Anyway, she's dead...again.

But discovered a PRO-Tip:
So using a Combat Art, it says use L1+R1, which I could get to work sometimes, other times I would just do a regular strike. I was trying to push both buttons at the same time to use.
The secret was, just hold L1 (guard or whatever that is), and tap R1 when you want to do the combat art. Made using Nightjar Slash MUCH easier during Butterfly, again.

Zep--

Did a longer break. Came back to Seven Spears + General fight and figured out I can cheese it by using stealth sugar and sneaking up on general and stealth kill + puppeteer. An extremely annoying fight suddenly turned into a very easy one. Feel stupid for not doing it before.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Demon Bell + No Kuro's Charm is a complete shitshow.

I had to cheese the Shinobi Hunters because for some reason they are absolutely insane. I swear they are even more aggressive with the Demon Bell (!?)

Juzou the Drunkard went down 1st try cause I already know Hirata like the back of my palm.
B16D3BDB3509B5B1EA4B8E99798DEFC7B1CE79B5

But Gyobu took me over an hour. You need to perfect parry otherwise you lose health.
4394F8DC8A6504E6530EF266C28D0BB2D2257256

Playing like this really forces me to use all the prosthetics arts and shit. For the first time I'm out of pellets and spirit tokens. On the other hand the game is dropping all kinds of materials (even 2xDivine Confetti from guy with an axe).

The game is very different. I'm not sure I will finish this run but I'm curious how far I can get.

Is this the one near the end game? I thought you could only sneak up on the rifleman.
Yes that one.
Fuck still cannot do Isshin. Didn't even get to last phase yet. I am playing less and less though, starting to feel burnt out by this game. After Dark Souls III this is a second From Software game that I started getting tired of before even finishing first run.

Last edited:

Hassar

Scholar
Beat it around 4:50 am. About to finish it and trade it in. Interesting but not my kind of game. Got the ending where I stayed with Kuro and considered getting the other endings first for literally two seconds but really did not want to do it over again (emphasis on really - it was OK but I never really found it “fun”. It was like playing a bullet hell game where you find a rhythm but it’s not necessarily satisfying). I’m glad we have Let’s Plays so I can see other content, though. I kind of wish that Ghost of Tsushima game was still planned because that seems more my style.

Trying to think if I had a favorite boss fight. I find that I remember how sluggish Sekiro can move so it was more about finding out what he could do than anything particularly amazing about the fight itself. Anyone else remembering more about fighting the controls to find the right button combo than anything about the boss?

Back to Dark Souls to refine my archer mage a la Kikyou and Rosa. I do want to watch “Ninja Scroll” again, though.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Long post.

After Gyobu I went for the Lady Butterfly. With some luck I was able to beat her in like the 3rd try. She is doing more damage but she basically has the same combos as without Demon Bell.
793B56BB2F32862F6B4583DFBA12A50B501075F9

This motherfucker I had to cheese ... not in classical sense. It takes like 20 seconds for him to get poisoned. Then I used the Flame to burn him a couple of times. I feel no remorse because his grab hitbox is broken. Fuck him.
192D701FF3C3751B4165A02B7B205C2CA3DE5E62

Another pushover. Took me like 3 tries because he hits like a truck. Also I got lucky and I killed the fighter from the pit on 2nd try.
19CC3688EAF7EC46BDA062ABFF685F4F1F0CC58A

And now for the big surprise: Do you remember the pushover Genichiro which took 1 try to beat? Well forget him. Genichiro 2.0 (on Demon Bell + No Kuro's Charm) has new patterns and it's aggressive as fuck.

You will say that I'm exaggerating but I had like 11 deflections in a row (some perfect, while last 3 not so much). Pure insanity. Genichiro 2.0 broke me. At some point I went blank and I could not deflect even his basic attacks.

This fight was on par with Isshin without Demon Bell cause you cannot rely on your memory muscle (the patterns are different). But I persisted.

I've spent 3 hours trying to reach phase 3 of the fight (no joke) and, once I reached it, I used Divine Grass + all my gourds/pellet + almost all my firecrackers to beat him. It worked.

I guess this is what people felt after they fought Father Owl for the second time. I'm fucking pumped with adrenaline after this fight :)
2AC814CA4E8F7533B382B4C908E4DF4D7C11B6DE

7F1F0F7D1D6F370EAC17344A4F3CF28D5F2E6440

Honestly after this fight I'm afraid to continue. I don't even want to think about Isshin 2.0.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm watching a streamer fighting Genichiro 1.5 (https://www.twitch.tv/hekimae) - she has the Kuro Charm therefore she doesn't need to deflect perfectly. I'm really curious how much time it will take her.

Edit1: This is fun. She has no idea about her predicament. The fight is still harder than the regular Genichiro.

Edit2: It looks like No Kuro's Charm is the spicy ingredient to the game difficulty: half attack damage on bad parries + more aggressive bosses. Yeah, it really makes a difference.

Edit3: After like 45 minutes, she is trying to run away from the Tower Ashina Dojo :)

Edit4: She did it. R1 spam. No deflect. No parry. Mo Mikiri. Just running around. Like I did it the first time /despair

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Some progress but I think I hit a wall.

I cannot kill O'Rin of the Water. I'm doing like insignificant damage to her while she is demolishing my posture. The HP bloat is out of this world.

This dude drops like 900+ Xp.
A45F596B9C1208636D91203CFF1BE020FD18A05A

Spent like 2 hours to kill the second Snake Eyes mini-boss. Absolute shitshow. So pissed off I did not even screenshot the deathblow. That mini-boss is so tanky it hurts.

Ape fight. Yeah. It's bad. Took me like 5 tries and 5 minutes. With Demon Bell and charmless you cannot get close to it because it will destroy both your health and posture.

Honestly I don't know who could perfect parry/deflect this shitshow. That's why the only option was to play defensive: wait for combo, try to punish and get the fuck out. Rinse and repeat.
E2095B845B1F54F80E0C47B4FC9A99AF969BF84B

129C39C92E15B686AF0F052A212824D194326A37

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Autism works.

Edit: At this point the speedrun is so broken he could skip the entire game.

Parabalus

Arcane

I cannot kill O'Rin of the Water. I'm doing like insignificant damage to her while she is demolishing my posture. The HP bloat is out of this world.

If you don't mind some dishonour

You can backstab her by jumping at her while she's initially peaceful.
You can also run towards the idol, she will soft-leash at the rocks.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

If you don't mind some dishonour

You can backstab her by jumping at her while she's initially peaceful.
You can also run towards the idol, she will soft-leash at the rocks.

I've upgraded my attack and I did kill her. I think O'Rin of the Water is pure trolling :)

Saw all endings, done with the game for now.

Yes, the game is too hard for my liking. It demands more competence, reaction speed and consistency than I can reliably provide. Sometimes, it wasn't fun.

That aside, I did like the combat and I liked the seamless stealth (except for how long it takes for alerted enemies to stop looking for you). The gameplay, setting and level design fit together well. Wish there were a couple more areas.

I liked the story well enough, but it never quite gripped me. Characters are ok, but some of the weakest in a FROM game. However, I do like that they moved away from traditional Dark Souls storytelling (I've grown a bit tired of that).

Performance has been mediocre. Camera is abysmal: never before has a game camera given me so much trouble, so often. I'm really surprised it's so bad.

In spite of the negatives, I really liked the game overall. Will buy the DLC for sure though I don't know if I'll be able go through it.

Hall of infamy:

Daddy Owl ~50 tries
Genichiro/OG Isshin ~35
Owl/Madama Butterfly ~25
Armored warrior & Lone Shadow in the shrine ~20

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Long post.

O'Rin of the Water got fucked :) Fun fact: It seems that she lost Sakura's baby (probably stillborn) :| (https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fextralife.com/Jinza's+Jizo+Statue)
39EC5E360FBD9060BBBE1C5CCBC8F07AE7B53EE6

Corrupted Monk got fucked. He is quite easy. No Divine Confetti or other cheese tactic.
53E773A62D6F0A3E7DD532077D730DD5D8693B77

Apes got gang raped. Fun fact: If you don't have the Mortal Blade then the Headless Ape will remain "alive" in that position :)
872DCD8C38E7D9F60B88BB1971C4F4632D379D5A

Spent 15 minutes running after the monkeys. Jesus, I hate this boss or whatever the fuck it is (but I love the fact that it drops a Memory).
68AF742976D93DC81CF510FB90A1F7B907134100

Another pleasant surprise: Owl 2.0 is more aggressive than the normal Owl however he is still a pushover.

Genichiro 2.0 was harder than this but it nice to see the effects of Bell Demon and No Kuro's charm. I'm looking forward to Father Owl.
FB1D7D14CE7732E8FE0D8BFB85A2BFDD094FFCD0

C008FE19CA65A138F9C54E358C3825D4F114C556

CAE192E9856877752286F956E91142C8BFCE18AD

Went back to the Headless monkey. I remembered I had the Mortal Blade :)
D37AD14F397474CAF3679A3D99E0DE495D8E61DF

Time for Immortality Severed :)
0CAE7232DBDE51081BFA380EBEBCEC8CB7D06008

And the last big surprise: True Corrupted Monk :)

You cannot cheese this first phase (!?) Basically you have to posture kill him otherwise you are fucked. His HP is insane.

The fight is pretty awesome because you have to perfect parry like 5-7 hits in a row. It took me like 30 minutes to learn this proper way of killing it.
C68753D0458D4666D01B5FB0F9B9E296110515A8

Nice item.
09764CA910460DFC3FCEFF66820D0A884146D345

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm starting to think that Bell Demon + No Kuro's Charm is the intended way to play the game. Basically the fights with Genichiro, Own and Corrupted Monk are very different and you have to always be engaged with them. I mean I finished the game twice but this is the first time I learn some things because there is no other way to progress. I wanted to challenge myself but I didn't expect this attention to detail.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Had some time to explore Ashina Castle today. Mini-Boss Jinsuke Saze down (2nd try). Used Loaded Spear Thrust type on him, pretty easy. Bait a strike then punish with spear. Don't get greedy like my first try at him.

Also, fuck those things on the castle roofs. Utter bullshit.

Not sure where I will go now, I think I need 1 more bead for necklace 4. Might go searching for another mini-boss somewhere before I fight Big Boss GG.

Zep--

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Had some time to explore Ashina Castle today. Mini-Boss Jinsuke Saze down (2nd try). Used Loaded Spear Thrust type on him, pretty easy. Bait a strike then punish with spear. Don't get greedy like my first try at him.

Also, fuck those things on the castle roofs. Utter bullshit.

Not sure where I will go now, I think I need 1 more bead for necklace 4. Might go searching for another mini-boss somewhere before I fight Big Boss GG.

Zep--
From the Ashina Castle idol, go up the stairs and you'll see 4 soldiers with rifles and a general.

Also from Ashina Castle idol you can access Ashina Reservoir area that contains 2 mini bosses, a Lone Shadow and a spear general. Both can be backstabbed. The general is very annoying. Look up cheese strats.

You can also go all the way to Gun Fort, from Old Grave idol and fight a Snake Eyes miniboss and another miniboss before the bridge.

Or Ashina Depths all the way to Poison Pool area to fight another Snake Eyes miniboss and then through the forest, village and get the ability to dive underwater.

Also go to Senpou Temple, 3 easy minibosses and a prayer bead underwater.

That's all I remember for now. The thing is, the game really opens up once you get to the Ashina Castle idol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom